2019 SG Charlie Easley (L Pius)

I'm not sure it's worth creating a whole individual thread, but I would really like us to offer a preferred walk-on spot (is that a thing in bball) to class of 2020 guard, Tredyn Prososki of Riverside. Kid can flat out stroke it and fill up a stat sheet. I doubt he would walk on, as I bet he'll get full offers from NAIA or a D2 school.  

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7410913/Tredyn-Prososki

His dad starred at Wesleyan. That might be more palatable to him than a bench position at NU. But who knows what he will want? Anyway, I'm glad he was given the opportunity to make a choice. His family is legendary in the Lincoln Catholic community.

Edited by jimmykc

Charlie has a scholarship offer from the Citadel and I am pretty positive he will receive other offers prior to the next commitment date.  He has been lighting it up for three years now.  Pius is a good team this year and they just won their holiday tournament, so it may be fun to watch him the remainder of the year.  Here are a couple articles that discuss the first family of Pius sports.

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/basketball/in-proud-state-basketball-tournament-history-of-lincoln-pius-x/article_c2f1342e-90f8-54d7-b0ac-6a7e8a82ea27.html

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/basketball/in-proud-state-basketball-tournament-history-of-lincoln-pius-x/article_c2f1342e-90f8-54d7-b0ac-6a7e8a82ea27.html

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I saw Easley play a bunch this summer. Would be an absolute steal as a walk-on. But unless he really just wants to go to UNL, I think he'd be missing out on a real big opportunity to go somewhere he can play a lot and not pay for it. 

There is a history of kids who have gone to Pius (and quite frankly a number of Lincoln schools) who decided to walk on at dear old NU rather than accept schollies elsewhere.  So Charlie wouldn't be the first.  In fact, one of his current classmates, and a great contributor on the basketball team, has decided to walk on for the Husker football team, Austin Jablonski.  Chris Cassidy walked on last year, and a pretty decent volleyball player, Sydney Townsend, walked on five years ago; and this year, Emma Gabel is walking on.  

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I saw Easley play a bunch this summer. Would be an absolute steal as a walk-on. But unless he really just wants to go to UNL, I think he'd be missing out on a real big opportunity to go somewhere he can play a lot and not pay for it. 

I don't disagree with you and I know the obvious answer is the winning legacy but why do people feel walking on the basketball team would be missing out on a real big opportunity and walking on the football team is a great honor. The walk-on program here is legendary for football. There are 8 or 9 Nebraska kid's walking on this coming year and you know all of them would be guaranteed more playing time and get to go to school for free if they went somewhere else. I guess I'm hoping that someday, sometime in the future, the basketball team will be successful enough that a walk-on offer will be seen as impressive as the same offer for football is seen as today.

9 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't disagree with you and I know the obvious answer is the winning legacy but why do people feel walking on the basketball team would be missing out on a real big opportunity and walking on the football team is a great honor. The walk-on program here is legendary for football. There are 8 or 9 Nebraska kid's walking on this coming year and you know all of them would be guaranteed more playing time and get to go to school for free if they went somewhere else. I guess I'm hoping that someday, sometime in the future, the basketball team will be successful enough that a walk-on offer will be seen as impressive as the same offer for football is seen as today.

I think it's because, historically, walk-ons in football occasionally become starters and major contributors.  In basketball, it just doesn't happen as much.

3 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Kinda putting words in my mouth, aren’t you? As someone who’s slammed with student loans, I wouldn’t advocate for anyone to walk on in any sport if they have a quality offer elsewhere. Only way it makes sense to me is if your family is loaded and you really wanted to go to school at the place.

48 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Kinda putting words in my mouth, aren’t you? As someone who’s slammed with student loans, I wouldn’t advocate for anyone to walk on in any sport if they have a quality offer elsewhere. Only way it makes sense to me is if your family is loaded and you really wanted to go to school at the place.

I didn't put any words in anyone's mouth. I just asked why walking on the football team is seen as an honor for most people and walking on the basketball team is considered a poor choice by most people.  

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I didn't put any words in anyone's mouth. I just asked why walking on the football team is seen as an honor for most people and walking on the basketball team is considered a poor choice by most people.  

I think paying for college till your 50

is only an honor to those who grew up in  Nebraska football crazy family’s. A lot of those guys would be better off(as far as life goes) going north to USD SDSU or if they are real good go play for the bison. You get the same education for a cheaper price and you actually get to play 

Edited by B-town hoopsfan

On 1/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I think it's because, historically, walk-ons in football occasionally become starters and major contributors.  In basketball, it just doesn't happen as much.

Some guys in the 90s even made the NFL. That just doesn’t happen in basketball as often. Or maybe we’ve just never been the best team in NCAA basketball and it happens for Duke all the time.

• 1 month later...