A sobering stat

I’m sure a lot of you might have seen this in the morning LJS, but the number flat out floored me. Nebraska has been playing basketball for over 120 years & yesterday was the 9th time, NINTH, a ranked Nebraska team has played a ranked opponent, ever. Obviously this is where a lot of the “Here We Go Again” sentiment stems from regarding yesterday’s loss & 1-3 start. With that in mind, looks like we’re all going to find out what this team is made of.

Handy: I think I (and most others here) fell victim to worshiping at the altar of false expectations. Now that I have had time to soberly reassess yesterday's results, I am reminded that all I wanted when the year began was for the team to get invited to the Dance and to finally win a game or two. This goal is certainly still achievable. 

I actually think that's a pretty encouraging stat -- in order for both teams to be ranked, that means Nebraska has to be ranked. We've played a hell of a lot of ranked opponents, but it seems we aren't ranked ourselves all that often. For better or for worse yesterday, I actually see that as a sign of things looking up that, in a CONFERENCE game -- meaning not a fluke early-season ranking -- we were both ranked. We may have crapped ourselves in it, but was anyone's preseason expectation to actually be in the national Top 25 rankings come January?

My expectations were (are) to win the B1G, so I expected whatever rankings went along with that. I’d say your Conference champ will have ballpark 5-6 losses so that has become highly unlikely for us. Of course there’s always the Conference tourney & the automatic bid. 

P.S. I saw a double feature at the Drive In movie in Bellevue last summer Fast times/Animal House, forever funny as hell.

Speaking of sobering statistics, I have started a bit of a new tradition this season whereby I open up one of these bad boys at halftime:

718626_product_front_0.png?itok=VswjPu1j

That's a 750mL bottle of 9% ABV strong ale from Quebec and it is tasty.  It's usually been coupled with a nice strong second half performance for the Huskers on the court as well.  Coincidentally (or maybe not, you make the call) I have not had any alcohol for either of the last two games.  I guess maybe I should hold myself accountable.  Sorry, guys, I've let everybody down with my sobriety.

Just now, 49r said:

Speaking of sobering statistics, I have started a bit of a new tradition this season whereby I open up one of these bad boys at halftime:

718626_product_front_0.png?itok=VswjPu1j

That's a 750mL bottle of 9% ABV strong ale from Quebec and it is tasty.  It's usually been coupled with a nice strong second half performance for the Huskers on the court as well.  Coincidentally (or maybe not, you make the call) I have not had any alcohol for either of the last two games.  I guess maybe I should hold myself accountable.  Sorry, guys, I've let everybody down with my sobriety.

I agree... You need one for every game at half from here on out.  And then hope like hell the game does't go 3 OT.  If it does... YOU DON"T GIVE UP!

I'm a stout guy but rarely drink Guinness because for my palate it's too thin and watery.  I'll drink it on the patio on a hot summer day, but that's about it.  In the wintertime I'd much rather have an imperial or barrel-aged stout, something along the lines of Even More Jesus, Certified Evil, or Dragon's Milk.

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm a stout guy but rarely drink Guinness because for my palate it's too thin and watery.  I'll drink it on the patio on a hot summer day, but that's about it.  In the wintertime I'd much rather have an imperial or barrel-aged stout, something along the lines of Even More Jesus, Certified Evil, or Dragon's Milk.

Have ever ran across Founders CBK? it is aged in whiskey barrels.

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I got a 4 pack of Wake Up Dead last week.  Not bad.

2 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Have ever ran across Founders CBK? it is aged in whiskey barrels.

CBK?  I don't think I have.  I had KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) once and it was pretty delicious, although pricier and harder to find than it's worth.  Is that what you meant, or is CBK a thing too? 

Regardless, I've tried a bunch of whiskey barrel-aged beers and Dragon's Milk by New Holland Brewing is my favorite.