uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 15 - @ Iowa

uneblinstu

Yeeesh.....

Well, this is without a doubt the most talented Husker Basketball team I’ve seen since I’ve been an obsessive fan. And we’re now 1-3 against middle to bottom quartile teams in the B1G (am I right about that?). There’s certainly personnel things that could make this a top 10 team, I’m not arguing that, but from a “complete team,” perspective, this is the best I’ve ever seen here. And here we are, with a very realistic chance we start 1-6 in conference if we can’t beat Penn State.

Not sure what to say. But Miles certainly need to turn this ship around or this will undoubtedly be his last year here. Zero question on that in my mind. This is an NCAA tourney or bust type of team. 

Edit: also, let me assure those who are worried about Roby leaving early for the draft that your worries are unfounded. 

Edited by basketballjones

Two games not expected to win, but hoped to win. Super disappointing, I think we can all agree.

I know this team wins all but 1 or 2 if not all home games left, but we're not even hitting .500 conf if we cant pull some of these toss ups on the road. For some stupid reason their head isnt in it right now, and our stellar defense is no where to be seen. I'm not gonna act surprised however, we had a decent non con schedule, but that's no big ten where you're playing fringe top 25 every night.

we knew this was a tough start to conf play schedule coming in, but it's still annoying that they cant pull it together. So much talent on this team but I'm starting to becoming convinced that it's a roster construction problem; we just dont have SIZE in any capacity to compete with the big contenders in the B1G without fouling out or getting hurt.

Have to get creative guys.

On to the next one. Cya Thursday. Gbr

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This is why the blown leads at MD and at MN are so big. Those wins give you so much more room to work with, now if we go chalk over the next 3, we are 2-5 in the conf and the sense of urgency is through the roof. 

Upvote +100. Spot on. Win those two, and today isn't so bad.

Game was lost at the 3 point line. Until we find a few kids that can knock them nightly we will struggle. 

If I were coaching against us, it would be zone zone and more zone defense against us. 

The lack of a big body down low killed us again tonight.

We HAVE to find points off the bench. They did a nice job tonight eating minutes but there was NO production.

1-13..our record vs Tier 1 teams since last year. Hard to demand respect with a record like that. 

Certainly should be much better with our starting 5. Mich St is going to be a very important game for Miles and this team. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

Our defense has not traveled well away from PBA, save for the Clemson game (and Sioux Falls, but that was basically PBA North). That has to get fixed.

In today's college basketball, when you can't make the 3 and can't stop the 3, you're going to lose. Looking at the box score, we probably were fortunate to be as close as we were in the final couple of minutes.

Badly need a confidence boosting win vs PSU to get our mojo back.

Edited by throwback

37 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I just checked the 10-day forecast. I didn't see anything about the sky falling just yet.

I'll check back again in a few weeks.

I don't get this attitude.  You are essentially trying to tell people not to be upset.

If people can't be upset in a post game thread an hour after a loss on a husker hoops board, where can they?

I bet the team and miles are upset, they better be.

20 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

1-13..our record vs Tier 1 teams since last year. Hard to demand respect with a record like that. 

Certainly should be much better with our starting 5. Mich St is going to be a very imperfect game for Miles and this team. 

We are actually 2-11 against Q1. Unless a tier is different. But anyway the only thing I have to say is 4-23 from 3. If we shot 33% we would've won. There were other issues but that's 15 points you can't get back. Sometimes you just miss shots. Yeah I know it came after a loss but I've watched enough NBA to know that teams have off nights and yeah they can have 3 in 4 games, on the road, sometimes. We knew we would struggle on the road we are 3-4 away from home and have dominated at home. If we lose to Penn State start getting worried. Until then I'm not going to freak out.

Or maybe I'd be better if I just said we suck and gave up.

Edited by cjbowbros

12 minutes ago, throwback said:

Our defense has not traveled well away from PBA, save for the Clemson game (and Sioux Falls, but that was basically PBA North). That has to get fixed.

In today's college basketball, when you can't make the 3 and can't stop the 3, you're going to lose. Looking at the box score, we probably were fortunate to be as close as we were in the final couple of minutes.

Badly need a confidence boosting win vs PSU to get our mojo back.

We played decent defense in KC.

7 minutes ago, PimpMario said:
46 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I just checked the 10-day forecast. I didn't see anything about the sky falling just yet.

I'll check back again in a few weeks.

I don't get this attitude.  You are essentially trying to tell people not to be upset.

If people can't be upset in a post game thread an hour after a loss on a husker hoops board, where can they?

I bet the team and miles are upset, they better be.

Nobody said we can't be upset. I'm upset about our performance in our past 3 games.

All I was saying is, we've dug ourselves into a hole, but we still have time to dig ourselves out. But if this continues for the next couple of weeks, we're in trouble.

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink
I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink
I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink
No, no, no
I'm so tired, I don't know what to do
I'm so tired, my mind is set on you
I wonder should I call you but I know what you would do
You'd say I'm putting you on
But it's no joke, it's doing me harm
You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain
You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane
You know I'd give you everything I've got
For a little peace of mind
I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
Although I'm so tired, I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid get
You'd say I'm putting you on
But it's no joke, it's doing me harm
You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain
You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane
You know I'd give you everything I've got
I'd give you everything I've got
I'd give you everything I've got
Edited by jayschool

Is lack of depth already making this team tired? Wonder if that is why defense is lacking right now. Didn't like body language late in game by a couple players. Hopefully it was more of disappointment with the how things were going at that point. Frustrated that Huskers didn't attack the zone defense or the press. The high lobs breaking press back and forth were begging to get stolen at some point. And just like the zone offense how about a pass and cut. And I think Watson could've broken it down press with his dribble and created some lob/dish off chances. Time to pull up the boot straps and beat Penn St. If players were mad after Maryland loss they should be extremely P'O'ed after this showing.

1.  We lost a game that we could afford to lose.  It’s not the end of the world.

2.  We’re probably only 1 game lower than where we should/expected to be at this point.  It was always going to be a rough first 4 games.

3.  PSU now becomes a huge game.  Huge.  Lose that one and we are staring 1-6 right in the face.  Win and we could gain the mojo and confidence back that we need to become 3-3.  

4.  Conference road games are tough to win.  Period.  We played a fringe Top 25 team on the road each of the past two road games.  We’ve played three road games against probably Top 10 Big 10 teams.  We’re 0-3.  We have some winnable road games left.  

5.  I agree that these are the types of games that matter for seeding in March.  I disagree that this game and Maryland will make or break us in how March and the rest of the season play out.

6.  May do us some good to not have a number by our name for the next few weeks.