uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 14 - @ Maryland

uneblinstu

1st Half:

- Not sure Maryland has someone that can handle JPJ.

- I liked how we swarmed the paint when Smith and Fernando had the ball. Didn't do straight double team much but caused all sorts of issues for those two, especially the young Smith.

- I thought 2nd chance points would be at a premium today and they have been. They've cashed in the rare opportunities they got.

- In the middle of the half, we had a series of looks where we got really great opportunities and couldn't cash them in. We'll see if that ends up being costly. Was capped by a really bad 3pt attempt from Watson.

- Speaking of Watson, got a little chippy there and probably fed into a cheap offensive foul.

- Loved the way they responded to end the half after Maryland went on their little run.

- Tanner gave some really nice minutes. Defended Fernando pretty well and got some bonus points from him.

- Heiman, not so much. 3 fouls in 2 minutes. Ouch.

2nd Half:

- Roby had a dominant start to the half. The poster was nice, the scream in Smith's face was better. I like pissed off Roby.

- Copeland getting poked in the eye cost NU 2 points. Not sure why he stayed in the game after they stopped the game for that.

- Palmer had a couple sloppy turnovers, but that wrap-around pass to Tanner was a thing of beauty.

- Roby going down was scary. Maybe just a little cramping?

- Free throws were a little problematic tonight.

- Fernando is a load. He likes to travel, but he's also a load.

- Palmer is so good at drawing fouls.

- Oddly quiet game from Copeland tonight.

- 3 pt defense not as stingy as usual.

- Starters carried a very heavy load tonight.

- Couldn't get that lead to 10. 

- That scramble that led to the Allen layup was pretty significant.

- Pretty great defensive possession with a 1 point lead in the last couple minutes. 

- Didn't like the zone call on that last possession to put Maryland up. Both times.

- NU did some things to cost them the game. I think I'm gonna err on the side of tipping my cap to Maryland. They've got some talent and made plays down the stretch. NU needs to figure out how to close these games out, though.

Horrible last possession.  Why take a shot with 21.5 seconds left on the road?  Why was Roby double teaming and leaving the middle wide open? Many bonehead plays by a veteran team.  

Big strong guys guys are going to hurt us all year long.  

This loss will will haunt us.  Iowa becomes a must win in my opinion.

"Palmer had a couple sloppy turnovers"

This was unacceptable sloppy play at a critical part of the game, as it turns out.   We were up 8, could have extended the lead.  Instead, Palmer let them back into it. 

If we are going to give games away on the road (2 for 2), we better win ALL of our home games this year.

3 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Horrible last possession.  Why take a shot with 21.5 seconds left on the road?  Why was Roby double teaming and leaving the middle wide open? Many bonehead plays by a veteran team.  

please no, not again with this "must win" crap again. it's an obvious statement akin to saying, "the team that scores more points will win this game" ?

Agree tho, especially against our rivals, we need to bounce back with a dominance on the road. iowa is worse KP than maryland and will have a better crowd im guessing, but on paper is essentially the same team as the terps. Early season made them look better than they are. My brother will be at that game, hoping for the good result on sunday. 

this was tough.  as any loss.

1 minute ago, GBR1197 said:

We’re gonna beat Iowa Sunday and this loss will hurt a lot less. Sucks to not close it out, but I think we’re gonna learn from these games and win a couple tough road games. 

I hope you are correct.  Please explain why this veteran team needs to “learn” from tonight?  It’s a replay of Minnesota.  We should have learned from that.

Bad loss tonight.

copeland was a no show for most of the night.

palmer forced things when Maryland made their run. We are much better when we let the game come to him.

Agee with Cazzie the last defensive set was poorly played by Palmer, Allen and Roby, no reason to defend that far out.

Don’t have an issue with last play but game should never have come to that. We had them down and let them back in game. 

Free throw shooting was awful tonight.

8 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

No problem taking the shot with 21.5 seconds.  We were down 1.  A missed shot and Maryland rebound gives us a chance to extend the game with fouls.  

The problem was the last possession Allen was late and needed to get in front of the Maryland player.

3 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I hope you are correct.  Please explain why this veteran team needs to “learn” from tonight?  It’s a replay of Minnesota.  We should have learned from that.

I don’t disagree, they should have learned from that Minn game, and this loss sucks. I just see that we’re 1-2 on the road and closed out that Clemson game, so we’re capable, just not quite there. Hoping the lumps they take motivate them to figure out what they’ve gotta do. Maybe it’s wishful thinking. 

It's basically been said, but we cannot keep doing this. Maryland is good, and so is Minnesota.  But we had chances to put both of them away on the road. This is possibly our best team ever, and we've given away 2 very winnable games that would've also been quality wins. I have lots of words I could say, but I'm gonna stay PG. Palmer's pullup under 1 minute might've sealed the deal, but I knew it not going in was gonna seal our fate. I'm in the camp that we better go undefeated at home or we may be in trouble.

On a side note, would someone with a referee background explain why Fernando was allowed to switch pivot feet after turning on one, then jumping off the other.  Thanks!

Edited by jason2486

16 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Iowa becomes a must win in my opinion.

Just remember we have somewhere around 15 more Quad 1 opportunities left on the schedule. The bubble isn't as thin as it was last year. But, man oh man, we need to increase our Q1 win column regardless of road or home win.

4 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

It's basically been said, but we cannot keep doing this. Maryland is good, and so is Minnesota.  But we had chances to put both of them away on the road. This is possibly our best team ever, and we've given away 2 very winnable games that would've also been quality wins. I have lots of words I could say, but I'm gonna stay PG. Palmer's pullup under 1 minute might've sealed the deal, but I knew it not going in was gonna seal our fate. I'm in the camp that we better go undefeated at home or we may be in trouble.

On a side note, would someone with a referee background explain why Fernando was allowed to switch pivot feet after turning on one, then jumping off the other.  Thanks!

It's called the BRUNO STEP.

4 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Yes, I have simultaneously coached and refereed 5 year old basketball so I am uniquely qualified to answer this.  Unfortunately, sometimes you drink too much the night before the game and you miss a lot of calls you shouldn't.  At least this is my experience.

26 minutes ago, GBR1197 said:

We’re gonna beat Iowa Sunday and this loss will hurt a lot less. Sucks to not close it out, but I think we’re gonna learn from these games and win a couple tough road games. 

Only lesson they are gonna learn from this one is if you loose the rebound battle. The free throw battle. And the three point battle. Then you ultimately take the L. The Minnesota game they took from us, tonight we Gave it to Maryland. More opportunities out there however 

23 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

I'm going to wait to label this team until after the season.  Games like these, make folks go, I don't know.  I just hope we're playing our best in March.  The 91 and 96 teams will be tough to beat.  Hopefully a topic for a future thread, say about the time the sweet 16 gets done. ?

Edited by Huskerone
spelling

Copeland scored 8 points on 3-4 shooting including 2-2 from 3 point range. Would've had 12 had he been able to see and a Watson pass not quite getting to him on an alley-opp.. So disagree with him being a no-show. He didn't get opportunities to be an offensive threat tonight. This team is really good when they are unselfish on offense. Palmer took 10 of the 22 3-pointers, making 3 while rest of team was 6-12.  He also took 19 of the 51 shots overall. Yes he needs to take most of the shots but he is more dangerous if teams have to play defense on other 4 players on the floor. Borchardt was 4-4 because of unselfish play.

Beat Iowa!! 

The good news...we have a lot more “key games” coming up. Bad news is that this is starting to look like last year where we struggle to get the so called “quad 1 wins.” 

Minnesota and Maryland...two road wins that should have been and two wins we are going to really want back in March. 

Posted this in the opponent's thread.  KenPom has kept us at #15.  We lost exactly 1 one hundredth of a point on Wisconsin from before the game tonight.

13 Kentucky SEC 10-2 +22.07 115.7 11 93.6 28 69.5 180 +.061 77 +0.44 158 102.9 176 102.5 149 +0.44 163
14 Wisconsin B10 10-3 +21.18 113.7 19 92.5 18 65.4 336 -.027 229 +5.58 38 105.5 49 99.9 40 +4.45 61
15 Nebraska B10 11-3 +21.16 115.5 14 94.3 38 66.8 302 -.028 233 +4.07 66 103.9 124 99.8 36 +0.85 148
16 Florida SEC 8-4 +19.95 109.1 54 89.1 6 65.3 337 -.069 299 +5.12 45 105.3 53 100.2 47 +5.12 46
17 Florida St. ACC 12-1 +19.86 112.5 25 92.7 24 71.9 80 +.031 118 +2.38 106 104.2 109 101.8 113 +2.38 110

But...feel free to continue freaking out...