Nebraska (11-2) vs. Maryland (10-3) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

12 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Oh I see what you are trying to say is that we should be a top 10 team in the country. I'm not sure we are quite that good yet.

At Minnesota, we held a 13 point 2nd half lead (9 or so with around 6 or 7 to play), and we had a great chance to extend an 8 point 2nd half lead tonight to double figures. I think he's pointing out that we squandered a great opportunity to start 3-0. And if Loyola can go to the Final Four, hell, we should be able to at least dream about being a top 10 team, and we possibly would be had we closed our two conference road games.

As long as we don't match up inside and get our lunch eaten I imagine we will have to live with results like this one.  I'm convinced we try our best (i.e. the staff) to recruit inside players that can play at a high level, we've just have not been successful.  Who would be the last true 5 that was quality?  Was it Maric?  Seriously someone jog my memory.  I don't give up or stop believing in the guys we have, just contemplating the reality of the situation.  :unsure:

Edited by mwm89

16 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

As long as we don't match up inside and get our lunch eaten I imagine we will have to live with results like this one.  I'm convinced we try our best (i.e. the staff) to recruit inside players that can play at a high level, we've just have not been successful.  Who would be the last true 5 that was quality?  Was it Maric?  Seriously someone jog my memory.  I don't give up or stop believing in the guys we have, just contemplating the reality of the situation.  :unsure:

Brady at least by the start of next season Brady is going to be good. But, actually in the past I'd love to have Ubel on almost any team.

2 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Andre “The Bouncer” Almeida. Vividly remember him getting that nickname by Mitch Holthus of Big 12 Network/ESPN+ during the Texas game in Feb 2011. 

AA2C9075-51A6-417F-9661-9B644CF4AB08.jpeg

15 hours ago, skerbball said:

Andre “The Bouncer” Almeida. Vividly remember him getting that nickname by Mitch Holthus of Big 12 Network/ESPN+ during the Texas game in Feb 2011. 

AA2C9075-51A6-417F-9661-9B644CF4AB08.jpeg

If nothing else if we had a guy built like Almeida this year he would be a lot harder for guys like Fernando to pivot around!

24 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

If nothing else if we had a guy built like Almeida this year he would be a lot harder for guys like Fernando to pivot around!

Not really, I seem to recall big Al getting routinely abused in the post by guys half his size.

8 hours ago, 49r said:

Not really, I seem to recall big Al getting routinely abused in the post by guys half his size.

I don't doubt it.  My memory of him is very limited because in part he played rather little.  Your explanation would be one reason why he didn't.  And in my original post I asked who was the last quality post or inside player.  I certainly wouldn't consider Almeida an answer to that question.

8 hours ago, mwm89 said:

I don't doubt it.  My memory of him is very limited because in part he played rather little.  Your explanation would be one reason why he didn't.  And in my original post I asked who was the last quality post or inside player.  I certainly wouldn't consider Almeida an answer to that question.

We have had a decent history of post type players.  Hamilton, Ffriend, Moore, Hoppen, Chandler, Maric, Smith and McPipe are a few that pop into mind.  Aleks is the most recent.  He was recruited by the Collier regime and then re-recruited by Doc.

9 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Define the parameters of a post player because both Copeland and Roby fit the bill for quality post player in my book.

28 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Define the parameters of a post player because both Copeland and Roby fit the bill for quality post player in my book.

I will take a swing at the definition.  In my humble opinion, a historical true post player is predominately a low post, back-to-the-basket player.  If he meanders to the top, it is to set a pick and roll to the basket.  I believe players such as Isaiah, Cope or Walter are considered stretch players; where they are active on the perimeter and are just as likely to shoot a three or put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop as they are to post, back to the basket.

Jordy was more the classic true post player as he supposedly was more comfortable and proficient with his back to the basket.

But to your point Matt, I believe Roby, Copeland, Ubel, Pitch and Turek would all be considered post players in our offense.

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We have had a decent history of post type players.  Hamilton, Ffriend, Moore, Hoppen, Chandler, Maric, Smith and McPipe are a few that pop into mind.  Aleks is the most recent.  He was recruited by the Collier regime and then re-recruited by Doc.

Correct.  That was my point in my original post.  I was trying to jog my memory if there had been anyone since Maric.  All those you mentioned fit in the mold of a "traditional 5" essentially and were pre-Maric.  Thanks for answering HHCMatt above.  That is exactly what I meant by a post player.  I know in this day of basketball it's hard to use terminology like "post player" without writing an expose.  :D  And I agree that the players you mentioned would be considered post players in Miles' offense.