Scouting Iowa

Bugeaters1

As always Iowa is an offensive juggernaut and as always no respect for defensive play.  We can get them, but I still think we are not quite seasoned enough to beat Gustafson and co.  If stick together and keep learning/ playing roles we will be real tuff by seasons end.  I think we only have a chance if Hannah shakes out of her funk and starts being Hannah.  In the mean time I could not be more pleased with how Nicea has stepped up.

14 minutes ago, caveman said:

As always Iowa is an offensive juggernaut and as always no respect for defensive play.  We can get them, but I still think we are not quite seasoned enough to beat Gustafson and co.  If stick together and keep learning/ playing roles we will be real tuff by seasons end.  I think we only have a chance if Hannah shakes out of her funk and starts being Hannah.  In the mean time I could not be more pleased with how Nicea has stepped up.

First I gat to watch a full game today.. Am going to say something that sounds stupid but will make sense in a second.

We are better when we make our shots.

I know that is kind of a duh statement, But, when we make shots our heads are in the game and we play harder.. When don't we start to get a helter-skelter thing going on.. I know that is how coach wants us to play, but I think she wants it to be a smart helter-skelter way of playing

Iowa, last year was lacking in guard/forward scoring and relying on Gustafson too  much. And it hurt them in both games.... that we won. :)

From what I've heard they are trying to right their ship with more balanced scoring.

Fully expect for them to be out for blood. They didn't take kindly to the BIG RED showing them how it's done. 

Will take full team defense to slow their scoring down. 

Didn't see them play this year. How deep off the bench do they play?

i'm interested in seeing the mershon/gustafson matchup when mershon enters. no doubt, she will get "schooled" but, mershon can bring some aggressiveness and if she can adjust to gusty should be interesting. wouldn't mind reading some other comments, but, i think mershon brings a little "RB factor" back to the huskers game.  actually, both mershon and verbeek do---at least imo.

42 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i'm interested in seeing the mershon/gustafson matchup when mershon enters. no doubt, she will get "schooled" but, mershon can bring some aggressiveness and if she can adjust to gusty should be interesting. wouldn't mind reading some other comments, but, i think mershon brings a little "RB factor" back to the huskers game.  actually, both mershon and verbeek do---at least imo.

I am not sure anyone could sing me a happier tune than the one you just sang

Watched replay of Mich St VS Iowa today. (at Mch St) Was a little bit of a slug fest. Mich St slowly and steadily pulled away from Iowa in second half.

Iowa is still heavily relying on Gustafson. So defense on her will be key. Not so sure we'll be able to slow her much. Have another forward/big that's decent.

Their guard play is better than last year, but not outstanding......they weren't hitting 3's very well.  Doyle didn't seem to want to shoot much.  Kind of run and gun... helter skelter offense. 

Mich state will win some games, have a good big, a decent forward/big, ....and guards that are small & quick. Good team over all.

They both are run and gun when they can.. Neither team showed a consistent 3 shooter.  But have at least one that seemed to be their designated 3 shooter,

Both teams will be competitive in the B1G.

Edited by redsteve

This is shaping up to be a tough game, what with Iowa no doubt seeking redemption for our :Broom:them in our two games last season. 

We will have to improve our shooting percentages and finish better on break-away and transition opportunities, as well as bring our 'A' Defensive game in order to win what may very well be a shoot-out.

Here is some information on the game taken from the game page @ Huskers.com:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785364

Huskers Take Aim at High-Flying No. 19 Hawkeyes
• The Huskers enter Thursday’s game with the Hawkeyes in a three-way tie atop the Big Ten standings with 2-0 Rutgers and 2-0 Indiana. Michigan State (1-0), which defeated Iowa 84-70 on Sunday in East Lansing, is the only other Big Ten unbeaten through the first week of conference play.
• Nebraska is coming off its first road win of the season, a 78-69 come-from-behind win at Ohio State on New Year’s Eve.
• Junior Nicea Eliely led Nebraska’s second straight fourth-quarter comeback by scoring 10 of her 14 points in the final period, as the Huskers outscored the Buckeyes 27-16 in the fourth.
• Freshman Leigha Brown kept the Huskers within striking distance of the Buckeyes by scoring a career-high 19 points through the first three quarters.
• Senior Maddie Simon is averaging 13.0 points in two Big Ten games. The 6-2 forward has hit 11-of-18 shots (.611) in conference play.
• Freshman Sam Haiby has averaged 10.0 points per game off the bench in Nebraska’s two Big Ten wins. The 5-9 guard is NU’s leading scorer overall at 10.8 points per game.
• Overall, Nebraska’s top two scorers on the season are both freshmen, as Sam Haiby (10.8 ppg) and Leigha Brown (9.6 ppg) help give the Huskers eight players averaging better than 8.0 points per game. A third freshman off the bench, Ashtyn Veerbeek has contributed 8.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game. The 6-2 Veerbeek ranks second on the team in rebounding and blocked shots.

Scouting the Iowa Hawkeyes
• 17th year Head Coach Lisa Bluder brings an explosive and experienced Iowa team, led by All-American Megan Gustafson, into the game vs Nebraska. Gustafson is Iowa’s all-time basketball scoring leader with a career total of 2,124 points, and 1,130 rebounds in 111 career games.
• Gustafson, a 6-3 senior forward, averages 26.8 points and 12.6 rebounds while shooting a remarkable 72.9 percent from the field and 79.2 percent at the free throw line.
• Senior forward Hannah Stewart is averaging 12.6 points and 5.9 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field and 79.2 percent at the line. Stewart and Gustafson have not attempted a three-pointer this season.
• 5-3 Senior guard Tania Davis is averaging 11.2 points and 4.6 assists through 12 games. She is shooting 37.7 percent from three-point range and 87.5 percent from the free throw line.
• Junior guard Kathleen Doyle, recently returned from a broken left hand, has averaged 12.2 points and 4.6 assists.
• Junior guard Mackenzie Meyer has pitched in 10.6 points, a team-leading 4.8 assists per game and 23 three-pointers (.324). Meyer is also a perfect 18-for-18 at the free throw line
• Sophomore guard Alexis Sevillian is averaging 7.7 points and 3.2 assists this season and Junior Amanda Ollinger is averaging 3.2 points and 4.1 rebounds. The Hawkeyes have played just a seven-player rotation in recent games.
• The Hawkeyes are averaging 83.6 points per game while surrendering 71.2 ppg. All five starters average in double figures. The Hawkeyes are shooting a blistering 51.8 percent from the field, 34.2 percent from three-point range and 79.6 percent at the free throw line. Iowa also carries a plus-7.0 rebound margin and averages a whopping 22.1 assists per game. The Hawkeyes do own a minus-1.1 turnover margin, but eight Hawkeyes carry positive assist-to-turnover ratios.

Edited by Red Don

Nebraska Cornhuskers (7-6, 2-0 Big Ten)
at 19/20 Iowa Hawkeyes (9-3, 0-1 Big Ten)
Thursday, January 3, 2019, 7 p.m. (CT)
Carver-Hawkeye Arena (15,400) - Iowa City, Iowa
Live Video: BTN Plus
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (6:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln-B107.3 FM; Omaha-ESPN 590 AM; Lexington-KRVN 880 AM
Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn

Going out of town..hoping I will have time to watch on computer. 

This one's "winnable". Will take another "complete" game as Coach says. Our versital scoring by several players may be the difference.  Some one gets  hot with the 3's hopefully....Taylor, Hannah, Nicea, or ?

12 hours ago, redsteve said:
Nebraska Cornhuskers (7-6, 2-0 Big Ten)
at 19/20 Iowa Hawkeyes (9-3, 0-1 Big Ten)
Thursday, January 3, 2019, 7 p.m. (CT)
Carver-Hawkeye Arena (15,400) - Iowa City, Iowa
Live Video: BTN Plus
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (6:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln-B107.3 FM; Omaha-ESPN 590 AM; Lexington-KRVN 880 AM
Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn

Going out of town..hoping I will have time to watch on computer. 

This one's "winnable". Will take another "complete" game as Coach says. Our versital scoring by several players may be the difference.  Some one gets  hot with the 3's hopefully....Taylor, Hannah, Nicea, or ?

Might need a  couple to be "good and warm" at least behind the arc, and Iowa to struggle from there like last yr. in Iowa.  Also of course to use our depth inside to help out on Gusty and absorb some fouls and at least make shots more difficult.  Will be interesting to see how we approach them on D and how well it works.  GBR!!  ?

11 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It would sure help our inside game and Kissinger if Hannah can start hitting trey's. 

I would think we need more inside game to open up the treys.  (i.e. if treys fall we are good; if they don't we are aways playing catch-up and HAVE to make treys.)

Edited by Red Don