Scouting Iowa

Bugeaters1

11 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Didn’t get to listen to the game.  I did see on live stats that at crunch time it was Hannah and the 4 Freshmen.  Looking forward to Maryland Tuesday night.

I also noticed the lineup of Nicea and the Newbies during the run.  This was after Kate had fouled out.  I think Coach has confidence in all 10 players available to her. 

It wouldn't surprise me, if she spends 3 quarters evaluating combinations, and attacks in the 4th, with what she has determined, are her best combos (fouls permitting).  

Whatever the approach, it seems to be working.  

Edited by 12dozen
typo

1 minute ago, 12dozen said:

At times, having 10 players, all getting minutes, seems like a comfortable number.  At other times, looking at the bench, and seeing just 5 players, I get a little  

nervous.  I like the idea of having a couple more players suited up next year. 

I agree the coaches should do what they can reasonably to get the numbers to 12 or 13.  With gals that could play if they had to if not a cut above that.

Next year will be quite different team wise At least 3 new players, on paper anyway, they look strong like this current freshman class.

We'll be much stronger, in large part simply because the current freshman will have a full year's of experience. Hannah and Nicea will be seniors ?

We'll need to get another big that can battle inside...(every coach wants them)

But the next two years look very good, let alone any "newer newbies" that come along in 2020, 2012, etc etc.

Obviously Brown is getting hot fast. Believe Hailby will be the point of the future. Verbeek and Merchon are showing they're learning fast.

None of this is news...none the less it's great news.

We're on the road onward and upward.

23 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So when the chips are down you don't see Simon in the game. Coach must not have much faith in her in crunch time. 

Maddies fine for the most part...just has those unexplainable turnovers. Actually her shooting has improved. 

Not well known maybe, but she is a leader and kind of a "mother- student-athlete" to the newbies. Maddies well respected on the team.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Maddies fine for the most part...just has those explainable turnovers. Actually her shooting has improved. 

Not well known maybe, but she is a leader and kind of a "mother- student-athlete" to the newbies. Maddies well respected on the team.

She could cut her turnovers in half if she would kick the ball back out when the defense sags on her in the middle and she tries to force up a shot which often ends up a turnover.  Basically she is the only playing senior we have and is important to the team in a defined role.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, redsteve said:

Next year will be quite different team wise At least 3 new players, on paper anyway, they look strong like this current freshman class.

We'll be much stronger, in large part simply because the current freshman will have a full year's of experience. Hannah and Nicea will be seniors ?

We'll need to get another big that can battle inside...(every coach wants them)

But the next two years look very good, let alone any "newer newbies" that come along in 2020, 2012, etc etc.

Obviously Brown is getting hot fast. Believe Hailby will be the point of the future. Verbeek and Merchon are showing they're learning fast.

None of this is news...none the less it's great news.

We're on the road onward and upward.

I too am excited by future rosters.

I do find the numbers concerning.  My understanding, we are allowed 15 scholarships.  We utilize 11.  I know there is a need to balance classes, but spotting our opponents 4 scholarship players, seems a bit like self imposed sanctions. I think we have 3 new kids coming in (so far).  We lose Maddie, Hudson?  That will get us to 12.  We have time to sign more.  Transfers, is another option available to balance a class. Hopefully, we will bolster numbers before next season.  

For perspective, 4 scholarships equal 26% of the allotted amount.  If football did the same, we would be operating with 63 scholarship players instead of 85.  How would that fly? 

Probably comparing apples to oranges.  Not sure why this nags at me.  

Edited by 12dozen

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

fhI too am excited by future rosters.

I do find the numbers concerning.  My understanding, we are allowed 15 scholarships.  We utilize 11.  I know there is a need to balance classes, but spotting our opponents 4 scholarship players, seems a bit like self imposed sanctions. I think we have 3 new kids coming in (so far).  We lose Maddie, Hudson?  That will get us to 12.  We have time to sign more.  Transfers, is another option available to balance a class. Hopefully, we will bolster numbers before next season.  

For perspective, 4 scholarships equal 26% of the allotted amount.  If football did the same, we would be operating with 63 scholarship players instead of 85.  How would that fly? 

Probably comparing apples to oranges.  Not sure why this nags at me.  

Just me guessing, but you kind of have to read into (another guess)...what Coach wants to do. She started out short in numbers for the squad initially.

Adding more than 4 per year is tough to get integrated into the team's schemes. And....without having too many in any graduating class at one time....don't want to lose half your team to graduation, injury, transfer, etc.)

She kind of cleaned out the numbers last year...to be able to add productive players, losing those that were injured, etc. 

From Coaches standpoint, she's under contract to produce...so has to take measures to insure success of the team. (that's what she's paid to do)

Anyway the ultimate question is how many does she want to carry?  11-12 and play them all as much as possible, or more...13, 14, 15 ?

Would guess she'll continue to take about 4 per year.  Obviously that could be more if some recruit(s) is too good to be passed over. 

Edited by redsteve

35 minutes ago, Omahusker said:

Keep in mind Blackburn, Washington and Bria are still on scholarship even though aren’t playing they are counting towards that #. After they’re gone that will open 3 spots 

I was just going to bring that up but you beat me to it.  

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Just me guessing, but you kind of have to read into (another guess)...what Coach wants to do. She started out short in numbers for the squad initially.

Adding more than 4 per year is tough to get integrated into the team's schemes. And....without having too many in any graduating class at one time....don't want to lose half your team to graduation, injury, transfer, etc.)

She kind of cleaned out the numbers last year...to be able to add productive players, losing those that were injured, etc. 

From Coaches standpoint, she's under contract to produce...so has to take measures to insure success of the team. (that's what she's paid to do)

Anyway the ultimate question is how many does she want to carry?  11-12 and play them all as much as possible, or more...13, 14, 15 ?

Would guess she'll continue to take about 4 per year.  Obviously that could be more if some recruit(s) is too good to be passed over. 

I have looked up the rosters that Coach had at SDU and the first year that she was there she 15 players 12/13, then the next year she had 14 -13/14, she had 13 in 14/15,and in 15/16 she had 15. whic was her last year at SDU.

49 minutes ago, Omahusker said:

Keep in mind Blackburn, Washington and Bria are still on scholarship even though aren’t playing they are counting towards that #. After they’re gone that will open 3 spots 

Has Washington graduated? Would she be a sixth year player? in 2015 she was a RS freshmen, so class wise she would have graduated last year right?

Edited by Bugeaters1

15 hours ago, Omahusker said:

Thanks for the reminder.

Found a Hail Varsity article from June, announcing the addition of Hudson, and attrition of Blackburn, Washington, and Stallworth.  It mentioned, "the three have left the team, but will remain on scholarship this year".    The voices nagging at me, have subsided a bit.