Glynn Watson Appreciation Thread

uneblinstu

8 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Glynn Watson is going to go down as one of the best players in school history. With at least 20 games remaining in his career, he's on pace to finish in the top 10 in at least these categories:

- Assists

- Free Throw percentage (top 5)

- Field goals made

- Steals (top 3)

- 3 pointers made

- He's currently on pace to finish around 11th in scoring but an extended run or two in the post season could certainly help that cause. Still, the gap between 10th and 11th is pretty substantial.

I don't think it's lost on most people here, but I think NU would be lost without him. I think it's easy for him to get overshadowed by JPJ, Cope and to a certain degree, the potential of Isaiah Roby, but GW is the engine behind it all. Let's make sure we appreciate what we've got while we've got it.

100% agree.  Remember saying something like this in the Red/White scrimmage early in the year.  Glynns team looked a lot better than the other team I believe.  I said I thought Cope and maybe Palmer looked lost.  Glynn is the floor general.  100% believe that!

A year or two ago we had an off-season thread with the question as to the best point guard coming out of Nebraska.  We have had a number of pretty decent point guards such as Ty Lue, Jack Moore, Brian Banks and many more.  It will be interesting if we revisit that list after the season; especially if we perform well the remainder of the season.  In my humble opinion, Glynn will be in the top five point guards at UNL, but how high within the five will likely be determined within the next four months.

1 hour ago, HB said:

Great post, uneblinstu.   Nailed it in all regards.   If he can stay healthy and keep playing at this level all year, very good things could happen.  He was always a tweener in my mind, but this year he really seems like a point guard.   He is clearly a leader as well.    

Good point about his leadership - these guys all are pretty quiet in the media, but they've developed a killer mentality on the court, and Glynn is a big part of that.

Part of that leadership and killer mentality stems from the way Glynn has dedicated himself to improving on the defensive end. There's no way to really statistically measure it, but the difference in his play on the defensive end from his freshman year to now is almost unbelievable. I'll never forget him looking absolutely lost and almost disinterested on defense in the early part of the B1G schedule his freshman year, and I wasn't sure if he'd ever be able to be a contributor on that end. I was completely wrong, as it's been a 180 for him on defense. It's just him choosing to work hard and make defense a priority.

He's always been so hard on himself when things aren't going well in the past - I think having Coach Gates around has helped him with that this year. Gates seems to be talking to Glynn constantly, and it seems to be helping him keep things more even-keel this year, which is important for a team leader.

Glynn has been my favorite player the last 4 years for a big reason: I remember our PG play in the period between Lance Jeter and Glynn.  It was horrific.  It is hard to appreciate having a real floor general until you don’t have one.  PG is the most important position in basketball.  He has made my basketball watching experience enjoyable the last 4 years (even though his season long shooting slump last year was tough).  

First Nebrasketball game I went to when I came home from the service was the Iowa one two years ago with Tai Webster. 

Glynn went the hell off that game. Became my favorite player since then. He is so calm and collected. He pisses me off with some of his mid range pull ups at times but that is a Glynn shot. He makes those more often than he should. Pesky defender. 

Will go down as one of my favorite huskers ever. Tai Webster is up there also. 

I’ve always been a huge fan of Watson, but the fact that Watson stayed loyal to Miles and the program, rather than bailing on him like others that shall not be named, was huge for me.  Watson is my 8 year old’s favorite player, and he’ll definitely go down as one of my Top 5 players all-time.

5 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I know he's small, but I think he gets an NBA Summer League roster spot and makes a run at the League.

biggest problem in the NBA isn't about Glynn. It's that there are a ton of guys 3-6 inches taller than you and 20-30 lbs heavier that can literally do everything you can do. so everything else being equal, you take the dude with the height. Watson is definitely going to play pro somewhere good. He's a helluva basketball player. I just don't see it in the NBA. When was the last time we had a starting 5 who will all have solid pro careers? I think that's amazing.