Scouting Maryland

49r

Just got home from 8 hours on the road, so I'll make this quick.  Here's Maryland's schedule so far:

2019 Schedule

Game Plan | Opponent Tracker

Date Rk Opponent Result     Location Record Conf  
Tue Nov 6 28 262 Delaware W, 73-67 72   Home 1-0    
Fri Nov 9 33 314 Navy W, 78-57 71   Away 2-0    
Mon Nov 12 34 316 North Carolina A&T W, 82-59 70   Home 3-0    
Fri Nov 16 34 85 Hofstra W, 80-69 65   Home 4-0    
Sun Nov 18 35 325 Mount St. Mary's W, 92-77 74   Home 5-0    
Fri Nov 23 37 130 Marshall W, 104-67 84   Home 6-0    
Wed Nov 28 32 2 Virginia L, 76-71 60   Home 6-1   a.gif
Sat Dec 1 34 44 Penn St. W, 66-59 64   Home 7-1 1-0 b.gif
Thu Dec 6 30 19 Purdue L, 62-60 65   Away 7-2 1-1 a.gif
Sat Dec 8 30 88 Loyola Chicago W, 55-41 61   Semi-Home 8-2    
Tue Dec 11 27 293 Loyola MD W, 94-71 71   Home 9-2    
Sat Dec 22 27 56 Seton Hall L, 78-74 68   Home 9-3    
Sat Dec 29 32 128 Radford W, 78-64 66   Home 10-3  

Not...terribly impressive...still, Ken predicts a win for the Terps on Wednesday.

MARYLAND

(0-2)

(0-1)

(5-0)

(5-0)

QUAD SHEET

Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Delaware

H

W

X

Navy

A

W

X

N Caro A&T

H

W

X

Hofstra

H

W

X

Mt St Mary's

H

W

X

Marshall

H

W

X

Virginia

H

L

X

Penn St

H

W

X

Purdue

A

L

X

Loyola-Chi

N

W

X

Loyola-Md

H

W

X

Seton Hall

H

L

X

Radford

H

W

X

Definitely not the most challenging non-con schedule.

They really need a win over a decent team. Too bad it'll have to come sometime after NU leaves with a victory.

Maryland ranks #52 in NET heading into today - this will be a Q1 win for us

Edited by throwback

11 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

They are big, they are young, hopefully coach no draws up some good doubles to throw at Fernando.

ive watched them a few times this year. They don’t overly impress except for their size and length.

Agree - they can really rebound, so we'll struggle there. Fernando is a handful for anyone. But their 3-pt shooting is sporadic, so I think we can really shut that down.

One key will be staying in front of Cowen on defense. He's been a handful for us in the past. However, he hasn't seemed as explosive with his first step this season to me in the few games I've seen, almost to the point where I was wondering if he was dinged up a bit, so that'll be an interesting match up. 

I remember when we went there 2 years ago on New Year's Day and the arena was completely dead. Hoping for a similar crowd Wednesday and a similar result. ?

Edited by throwback

30 minutes ago, throwback said:

Agree - they can really rebound, so we'll struggle there. Fernando is a handful for anyone. But their 3-pt shooting is sporadic, so I think we can really shut that down.

One key will be staying in front of Cowen on defense. He's been a handful for us in the past. However, he hasn't seemed as explosive with his first step this season to me in the few games I've seen, almost to the point where I was wondering if he was dinged up a bit, so that'll be an interesting match up. 

I remember when we went there 2 years ago on New Year's Day and the arena was completely dead. Hoping for a similar crowd Wednesday and a similar result. ?

They have two freshmen who shoot it at a pretty good clip then not much after that.

ya staying in front of cowen will be big. They are running him into the group though. Like 35 minutes a night and like 70 more minutes played than the next guy. 

I just assume every team's going to eat our lunch on the boards, and hopefully Big Abba won't beat us solo. But the college game is still a guard game and I like us in this matchup. Our guards are playing well, and the emergence of Allen just made us a lot tougher to guard. 

I think we're a better team. I think we've gotten better at closing out games.  So everything else being equal, I think we'll eek one out. 

Stylistically this will be a lot like playing Minnesota. 

We can run zone if they aren't killing us on the offensive boards.

Watson can take away a lot of Cowan. Fernando could score 20 on us and we'd ok. If he's scoring 30+, we have a problem.

Their fr 5 star PF, Jalen Smith, was out with a stomach ailment last game.