2019 SG John Tonje -> Colorado St

@Norm Peterson - Here ya go bud:

1.  How explosive is he?  Can he dunk effortlessly?

Watching him in warm-ups and watching him generally operate throughout the beginning of the game, I didn’t think he had much explosion. Then, he caught a drop off pass after a steal, and drop-step/no dribble, dunked the absolute shit out of the ball- like one of Copeland’s Shaq-dunks. Had another good one hand cram after a steal towards the end of the game. He has a herky-jerky style to his game ala James Palmer, the kid from Boystown (that plays at Witchita State now), and Shavon Shields.

2.  How smooth are his handles?

Good enough. 

3.  What's his motor like?

Dove for a couple loose balls, rebounded, seemed to play hard. 

4.  So, he hits at a high percentage; does the shot look good? (i.e., good form, quick, good release point, elevation on the jump, etc., such that it will translate to the next level.)

He can stroke. But he didn’t look selfish at all, I didn’t think he took one bad shot all night. Shot looks good, not perfect or necessarily quick - but I find that a bit overrated. 

5.  Is he scoring at all three levels?  Is he getting to the rim, can he pull up mid-range off the dribble, etc.

Yep. He has an old man’s game. Will destroy church leagues after his playing days are over.

We don't need another guard this year, but would he be willing to attend prep school for a year? I would never do that if I was a player or giving advice to a kid. Don’t risk injury or losing attention. Get the best offer you can and take it. Would he be willing to greyshirt? Same answer. 

So..... where’s he going or where should he go. First off, has UNO got a hold of this kid? Personally, I think they’d be insane not to snatch him up. 

Millard South was not very good. But let me put it this way, if I was not from Nebraska but you called me up and said, “hey fly in and watch this kid Nebraska’s got committed and tell me what you think.” I’d answer you, “Dang he’s pretty good, was the best player on that court easily. Looks like ya got a good one!”

I’d say his biggest knock is he has the game and thickness of a 6’7” 3-man, but is only like 6’4”, 6’5” (and didn’t seem to be a particularly long 6’5” - but I could be wrong). 

I dunno bros! Love me some instate kids!!! I’d love to hear @Jacob Padilla ‘s take.

Thanks - OWH had a nice write-up a week ago on where he's come from  - young man certainly sounds like he has the work ethic necessary.

Very late bloomer. Just starting to get low-end D1 attention.

https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/from-b-team-to-big-time-omaha-central-senior-john/article_e414eb4e-08fd-577d-9687-b3570e30bb91.html

11 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

His best options may end up being going JUCO or prep school just to get more exposure 

If my son was a late-blooming basketball player and we wanted him to get better offers... I would do whatever I could in my power to work the emails and phone calls and stay as far as humanly possible from JUCOs. Someone will have a spot late. 

5 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

If my son was a late-blooming basketball player and we wanted him to get better offers... I would do whatever I could in my power to work the emails and phone calls and stay as far as humanly possible from JUCOs. Someone will have a spot late. 

Agreed. Probably just depends what level he wants to play. These days your probably better off to go to an SDSU or an USD for two years then transfer up for your last two years if your willing to redshirt.  The small amount of film I watched on him I’m suprised a USD hasn’t offered him

On 1/4/2019 at 1:49 PM, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yup gonna be able to guard 2-5, rebound, finish around the hoop from day one. Great pick up by miles and company

I would adjust that to 1-“4”

Could he switch onto a 5 and survive because of his length and leaping ability? Sure. But I think he could excel and more than “survive” guarding 1-4. Just my opinion. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:52 AM, hhcmatt said:

That we are gaining a guy like Arop that can shut down a guy Tonje is fairly exciting

Obviously I’m biased - but the only thing that shut down Tonje against CP was his teammates. Incredibly poor shot selection, selfish, undisciplined basketball. Had they ran an offense focused on JT, I don’t think the outcome would have been the same. CP is too disciplined of a b-ball team to play the style Central employed last week. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I would adjust that to 1-“4”

Could he switch onto a 5 and survive because of his length and leaping ability? Sure. But I think he could excel and more than “survive” guarding 1-4. Just my opinion. 

Ya I don’t think he could guard opposite fives for 20 minutes, just on switches and things of that nature. I expect him to mainly Baird 3s n 4s. I’ll be interesting to see what we do with the remaining scholarships. I for one am

tired of playing small ball and having opposite 5s Maul us 

• 3 weeks later...

Posted this in the in-state thread:

RE John Tonje: He's having a great year. Very good 3-point shooter, has really improved his ball-handling and ability to attack the basket, and he's very explosive (yes, he dunks effortlessly, Norm). Solid frame at 6'5". From talking to coaches (and my own observations) the question mark is his lateral quickness and ability to guard on the perimeter at the next level. The high majors in the area don't see him as a high major player, but LM/MM coaches are starting to take a look. He wasn't a full qualifier during the summer, which hurt his recruitment, but he is now. 

As for why UNO hasn't snatched him up yet, beats me. I've talked to them about it. They've been recruiting and monitoring him for a long time. An assistant was just at the last Prep-Central game on Saturday. They just haven't offered yet.

RE the first Prep-Central game, Akol definitely shut John down. Akol's length bothered him tremendously. Blocked him a couple times and forced some wild shots.

In round two, John was much more aggressive and less hesitant. He still didn't play all that well (5-14 on 2s, 1-8 on 3s) but he did score 21 points and the buckets he did get were impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 4:05 PM, khoock said:

I have said it to some buddies of mine, and maybe on here before, but UNO could almost exclusively recruit the state of Nebraska and field a roster more than talented enough to compete in the Summit. A lot of low and middle tier D1 talent in the state imo.

Could NU beat UNO right now?