Scouting Michigan

Bugeaters1

I may be wrong, you guys can check.......but pretty sure I read that Mich may be a mixed bag... they've won lots of games, but I think they lost to every top 25 team they played. ( 4 games I think).

While I'm sure we have our work cut out for us, but it could well be a close tight game. Cain can't foul out, and she 's got to score. Same with all the starters. 

Any way, will catch up with the forum  Fri..

Edited by redsteve

check out Big Ten stats. huskers pretty scarce in the categories. i believe TK is only one at or near the leaders (3pt %). Abi Scheid of NW is 31st in scoring at 11.1 ppg---no husker in this category. FT % Haiby 15th @ 71.8%. Rebounding---Cain 14th 7rpg and Verbeek 16th with 6.6 rpg. 

hoping things change.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

40 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Michigan game can be huge for the team’s confidence moving forward.  Hope the weather cooperates for the drive down to Lincoln.  A loss at home makes a top half conference finish unlikely.  

I'm a bit nervous got the weather as well. iit looks like once you get to the hiway 81 corridor things are in the clear. Cazzie we need to meet up sometime at a game.

This is shaping up to what could be a most interesting Game;  One I think we can win despite the comparative record and statistics.  If we are 'ON' we can put up a lot of points real fast; then I think it could be just a matter of maintaining focus and hanging-on for the Win.  Experience matters, and we are gaining it every day.  In an oddity, this is one game where the Ladies will be on BTN  (the first of Eight  BTN appearances for the Ladies this season); And the Men are on BTN Plus.  :Redface:

Here is some information on the game taken from the game page @ Huskers.com:  http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211785058

Huskers Open 18-Game Big Ten Schedule with Michigan Friday
(This will be the first of eight BTN telecasts for the Huskers this season)

• Nebraska will try to extend its four-game home winning streak and stop Michigan’s two-game streak at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Huskers have won four straight in Lincoln since a narrow 83-77 season-opening loss to Missouri Valley Conference power Drake.

• Friday’s game will feature two of the nation’s top centers in Nebraska sophomore Kate Cain (9.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.5 bpg) and Michigan senior Hallie Thome (12.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg). Cain is averaging 10.8 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.8 blocks while shooting 62.8 percent from the field at home.

• In two meetings against Cain and the Huskers last season, Thome averaged 17.0 points and 6.5 rebounds while shooting 52 percent (13-25). Cain averaged 9.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.0 blocks against Thome and the Wolverines while shooting 45 percent (9-20).

• The Big Ten opener also features several of the conference’s best freshmen, including Nebraska’s Sam Haiby, Ashtyn Veerbeek and Leigha Brown, along with Michigan’s Naz Hillmon and Amy Dilk.

• Haiby is NU’s leading scorer, averaging 11.0 points while coming off the bench in all 11 games. Hillmon, a two-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week, is Michigan’s leading scorer and rebounder with 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while coming off the bench.

• Hillmon (2nd, 12.6 ppg), Haiby (6th, 11.0 ppg), Veerbeek (8th, 8.8 ppg) and Brown (9th, 8.6 ppg) all rank among the top 10 freshmen in the Big Ten in scoring. Over the last four games, Veerbeek is averaging 12.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.

• Brown, a 6-1 wing from Auburn, Ind. was a runner-up to Michigan’s Dilk for Indiana’s Miss Basketball award last season. Dilk has started all 12 games for the Wolverines and is averaging 6.5 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists.

Scouting the Michigan Wolverines
• Michigan enters Big Ten play riding a four-game winning streak, while producing a 9-3 overall record. The Wolverines are receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches Top 25.

• The Wolverines finished 23-10 overall last year, including 10-6 in the Big Ten. Michigan finished sixth in the Big Ten standings before falling to Nebraska in the Big Ten quarterfinals. The Wolverines went on to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

• Michigan features a good blend of experience and youth. The Wolverines feature preseason All-Big Ten center Hallie Thome. The 6-5 senior is averaging 12.2 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, while leading Michigan with 11 blocked shots. Last season, Thome averaged 17.4 points and 7.0 boards per game.

• As a team, Michigan is averaging 75.6 points per game, while allowing 55.8. The Wolverines have dominated the boards (44.7-30.8) and own a plus-2.5 team turnover margin. Michigan is shooting a solid 45.1 percent from the field, but just 29.4 percent (57-194) from three-point range. Michigan has also hit 68.1 percent of its free throws.

Edited by Red Don

michigan and huskers aren't too far apart in most stats except for defensive rebounds and 3pt% defense. gonna need at least a decent night shooting because odds are they might not get too many second chances. haiby getting to the basket could be key---whether she finishes or is able to dish off (for the open look).

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Nebraska Cornhuskers
vs. Michigan Wolverines
Friday, December 28, 2018, 6 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Television: BTN
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (5:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln-B107.3 FM; Omaha-ESPN 590 AM
Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn

2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

probably goes w/o saying, but verbeek and cain need to stay out of foul trouble---especially early foul trouble. who gets the hillman(sp?) assignment? simon---at least to start out?

Maddie has had such a slow start, I like the idea of assigning her the job of shutting down Hillman.  Having her focus on the defensive end, the offense might just come to her.   

Go get 'em girls!!   

Edited by 12dozen