Minutes Played by Starting Lineup

HuskerActuary

30 minutes ago, LK1 said:

We have one of the beat starting 5s in the country.

I keep seeing this (and I would have guessed it, too), so I wanted to put some numbers to it and prove it out.

I took a pretty simple (quick) approach by summing the top 5 PORPAGATU! numbers on each team. This has a few caveats - biggest ones being 1) this is an offensive only metric and 2) it's possible that the top 5 on each team isn't necessarily the starters. But putting those aside, our top 5 is #9 in the country.

1. Gonzaga (Clarke, Norvell Jr, Hachimura, Perkins, Jones) 23.5

2. Nevada (Johnson, Martin, Caroline, Martin, Thurman (from Omaha)) 21.5

3. Purdue (Edwards, Cline, Eifert, Boudreaux, Eastern) 20.0

4. Tennessee (Williams, Schofield, Bone, Alexander, Bowden) 19.9

5. Iowa State (Haliburton, Jacobson (Michael), Shayok, Weiler-Babb, Horton-Tucker) 19.9

6. Duke (Williamson, Barrett, White, Jones, Reddish) 19.9

7. Villanova (Booth, Gillespie, Paschall, Cosby-Roundtree, Bey) 19.4

8. TCU (Bane, Robinson, Miller, Fisher, Noi) 19.4

9. Nebraska (Palmer, Watson, Copeland, Allen, Roby) 19.1

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

I keep seeing this (and I would have guessed it, too), so I wanted to put some numbers to it and prove it out.

I took a pretty simple (quick) approach by summing the top 5 PORPAGATU! numbers on each team. This has a few caveats - biggest ones being 1) this is an offensive only metric and 2) it's possible that the top 5 on each team isn't necessarily the starters. But putting those aside, our top 5 is #9 in the country.

1. Gonzaga (Clarke, Norvell Jr, Hachimura, Perkins, Jones) 23.5

2. Nevada (Johnson, Martin, Caroline, Martin, Thurman (from Omaha)) 21.5

4. Tennessee (Williams, Schofield, Bone, Alexander, Bowden) 19.9

5. Iowa State (Haliburton, Jacobson (Michael), Shayok, Weiler-Babb, Horton-Tucker) 19.9

6. Duke (Williamson, Barrett, White, Jones, Reddish) 19.9

7. Villanova (Booth, Gillespie, Paschall, Cosby-Roundtree, Bey) 19.4

8. TCU (Bane, Robinson, Miller, Fisher, Noi) 19.4

9. Nebraska (Palmer, Watson, Copeland, Allen, Roby) 19.1

Anyway to do something similar on the defensive side as well? ?

3 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Gesundheit!

3 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

So how should I interpret this metric, @HuskerActuary?

That Purdue has very much underperformed so far this season with a strong starting lineup?

Or that they're heavily reliant on their top five players and don't have the depth to cover for them?

41 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

That Purdue has very much underperformed so far this season with a strong starting lineup?

Or that they're heavily reliant on their top five players and don't have the depth to cover for them?

Purdue has a really strong offense but a poorer defense, which brings to light one of the issues with the way I categorized the value of each player. If defense was considered, Purdue wouldn't be #3.

Additionally, using PORPAGATU, there is a big drop-off after their top 4 (not strong numbers from their bench). 

13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Purdue isn't that good outside of Edwards.