Minutes Played by Starting Lineup

HuskerActuary

Since we have a relatively weak bench right now, I wanted to look at the number of minutes our starters have played and compare it to our conference brethren to understand whether we have a potential problem brewing with tired legs.

We are #2 in the conference in starters' minutes played. We're only 2.3 minutes above the average, though.

Rank/Team Average Minutes
1. Northwestern 30.3
2. Nebraska 29.8
3. Michigan 29.6
4. Penn St. 28.9
5. Maryland 28.7
6.Minnesota 28.3
AVERAGE 27.5
7. Purdue 26.9
8. Ohio St. 26.9
9. Wisconsin 26.8
10. Rutgers 26.6
11. Indiana 26.1
12. Illinois 25.7
13. Michigan St. 25.5
14. Iowa 24.6

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

Since we have a relatively weak bench right now, I wanted to look at the number of minutes our starters have played and compare it to our conference brethren to understand whether we have a potential problem brewing with tired legs.

We are #2 in the conference in starters' minutes played. We're only 2.3 minutes above the average, though.

1. Northwestern 30.3
2. Nebraska 29.8
3. Michigan 29.6
4. Penn St. 28.9
5. Maryland 28.7
6.Minnesota 28.3
AVERAGE 27.5
7. Purdue 26.9
8. Ohio St. 26.9
9. Wisconsin 26.8
10. Rutgers 26.6
11. Indiana 26.1
12. Illinois 25.7
13. Michigan St. 25.5
14. Iowa 24.6

Would be interested in seeing a few things...

1.  Do these change in games played against P5 competition?

2.  Wha were last years end numbers for all Big 10 teams?

Feel like under 30 is common.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Do these change in games played against P5 competition?

Excellent question. It was easier for me to look at it against top-100 teams, so I hope that works for you. The sample size is still small - each Big Ten team has played between 4 and 7 top-100 teams so far. But here are the results. Using this data, NW and Nebraska are significantly ahead of the rest. 

1. Northwestern 32.7
2. Nebraska 32.6
3. Michigan 31.2
4. Maryland 30.5
5. Wisconsin 29.0
6. Penn St. 29.0
AVERAGE 29.0
7. Ohio St. 28.4
8. Purdue 28.3
9. Minnesota 28.2
10. Rutgers 27.6
11. Illinois 27.4
12. Michigan St. 27.3
13. Indiana 27.3
14. Iowa 26.8

2.  Wha were last years end numbers for all Big 10 teams?

Here are the numbers for the 2017-2018 season. I like the top-100 filter so that's reflected here - this only includes top-100 opponents.

1. Penn St. 30.1
2. Wisconsin 29.5
3. Maryland 29.4
4. Purdue 29.3
5. Michigan 29.2
6. Nebraska 29.0
7. Northwestern 28.2
AVERAGE 27.7
8. Ohio St. 27.6
9. Rutgers 27.3
10. Indiana 26.7
11. Minnesota 26.3
12. Michigan St. 26.0
13. Iowa 25.7
14. Illinois 23.5

19 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Roby and Allen’s minutes aren’t terrible at like 27 and 28 minutes each however our seniors are in the 30s so that could end up being an issue down the line. I don’t see that really changing either. 

How many minutes do NBA guys play?  I don’t watch so I don’t know.  30 minutes doesn’t seem like much for a college student.

How many minutes do NBA guys play?  I don’t watch so I don’t know.  30 minutes doesn’t seem like much for a college student.

Damn right. Especially when the college players are 23, 22, 21, 20 and 20 years old (Copeland, JPJ, Glynn turns 22 in March, Zay turns 21 on Feb. 3, Tom).

Good ones probably average about 30-35. 

They should all be fine though. Only playing two games a week. Remember last year the schedule was condensed so they could play the BTT at Madison Square Garden.

40 minutes ago, khoock said:

Good ones probably average about 30-35. 

They should all be fine though. Only playing two games a week. Remember last year the schedule was condensed so they could play the BTT at Madison Square Garden.

Good point, it'll be a big difference this season. We're also benefiting from the earlier start date for the season (5 days) and the extra almost full week (6 days) in the NCAA calendar. Add in the "uncondensed" conference schedule (7 days) and the 2018-19 regular season schedule has 18 extra days in it, while playing the same number of games ... all of which should help a team relying on its starters to play a larger than average number of minutes.

2018-19

Nov 6 - Dec 31 = 13 games / 56 days / 4.31 days per game

Jan 1 - Mar 10 = 18 games / 69 days / 3.83 days per game

2017-18

Nov 11 - Dec 31 = 15 games / 51 days / 3.4 days per game

Jan 1 - Feb 25 = 16 games / 56 days / 3.5 days per game

7 minutes ago, throwback said:

Good point, it'll be a big difference this season. We're also benefiting from the earlier start date for the season (5 days) and the extra almost full week (6 days) in the NCAA calendar. Add in the "uncondensed" conference schedule (7 days) and the 2018-19 regular season schedule has 18 extra days in it, while playing the same number of games ... all of which should help a team relying on its starters to play a larger than average number of minutes.

2018-19

Nov 6 - Dec 31 = 13 games / 56 days / 4.31 days per game

Jan 1 - Mar 10 = 18 games / 69 days / 3.83 days per game

2017-18

Nov 11 - Dec 31 = 15 games / 51 days / 3.4 days per game

Jan 1 - Feb 25 = 16 games / 56 days / 3.5 days per game

We sure did have a good record on short-turnaround games though! Last season I almost preferred we played with short rest (aka "forget the in-depth game plan and just go out and play").

I bet that experience helped our team in the offseason.

25 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

We sure did have a good record on short-turnaround games though! Last season I almost preferred we played with short rest (aka "forget the in-depth game plan and just go out and play").

I bet that experience helped our team in the offseason.

There is rarely if ever  a “forget the in-depth game plan and just go out and play.” More time between games allows for more time to plan and implement but coaches are scouting for a game ahead of time and not waiting for the last one to get over. You diminish the work the coaches put in with statements like that. Teams that have a deeper understanding of the game can pick things up quicker and hopefully that’s what Nebraska has. 

9 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

There is rarely if ever  a “forget the in-depth game plan and just go out and play.” More time between games allows for more time to plan and implement but coaches are scouting for a game ahead of time and not waiting for the last one to get over. You diminish the work the coaches put in with statements like that. Teams that have a deeper understanding of the game can pick things up quicker and hopefully that’s what Nebraska has. 

Oh, I'm not saying that the coaches aren't planning for the opponents well ahead of time. I'm talking about the players having less time to get into the weeds and just take what scouting report they have and go out and play.

We've had some rosters seem to be too 'academic' in their approach, and when we started having shorter turnarounds, I feel like the players were a little looser and found ways to make plays in transition.

I like our bench and think they can contribute but aren't given the opportunity because our starters are really good. I agree with the sentiment that these guys are young enough and the minutes won't matter. Like nustudent said there are plenty of examples of good teams that ride their starters.  

20 minutes ago, Bill Clay said:

I like our bench and think they can contribute but aren't given the opportunity because our starters are really good. I agree with the sentiment that these guys are young enough and the minutes won't matter. Like nustudent said there are plenty of examples of good teams that ride their starters.  

Welcome to the Board, and glad you survived the fall from the Nakatomi Plaza.