uneblinstu post game chatter: Vol 11; ed 12

Bugeaters1

This was our Incarnate Word game of 2018. Our Savannah State or Gardner-Webb.

Except this time, when we couldn't hit freethrows, we had a 20 point lead, and when they went on a run, we had an answer.

And, in the end, we pulled a little further ahead and won handily.  But they played us a lot closer in the 2nd half than the final score would indicate.

• Half court defense was outstanding again until they had one guy get hot in the second half
  • Our zone doesn't always produce a stop, but it really forces teams to slow their tempo, which can be effective in situations like we were in today, where CSF was gaining momentum
  • 3-pt defense was outstanding again until they hit those 2 late 3s
  • Not bad that we can miss 14 FTs, get out-rebounded by 10+ and still cruise to an easy win
  • I like Roby driving from the wing/baseline area better than from the top of the key, it was nice to get him a couple of clear-outs from that area of the floor 
  • I also like how a slow start offensive for Roby does not affect him on the defensive end at all - he was at a high level on that end once again
  • All things considered, a solid performance, as it would've been easy for guys to be thinking more about going home than playing today
  • 10-2 with one more gimme to go is a really good result for Nov/Dec
  • Yet another Vegas cover so that helps the analytics
  • We're really good ... but you already knew that

• I was sort of surprised.  I thought CSF was a pretty decent team with some good players.  They scrap out rebounds.  Their shooting was deplorable.  But I thought we caused some of those issues.  But they sure don't play like a 3-9 team.
  • I really thought we played a pretty pedestrian game.  Nothing great, nothing bad, but they were never really in the game and we won by 20+.  To me, that is rather impressive.
  • Free throw shooting started okay, but we left a lot of points at the line.  Isaiah has a good stroke, so it is a matter of concentration son.
  • This was the type of game that historically caused us problems...not this afternoon.
  • A bit confused why Tom was not in the starting line up.  But there were no down games by anyone that was thrown out there.
  • Our defense continues to please me...a lot.
  • We did look rusty...and yet, another week off.
  • I was very happy with the pre-Christmas crowd.  And yes, my inner bah-humbug did appear a bit...some of that Christmas music almost put me to sleep.
  • I hope the team enjoys their Christmas break, I hope they all get home and back safely, and I hope that we take it up another gear when they return.
Edited by Huskerpapa

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:
  • I was sort of surprised.  I thought CSF was a pretty decent team with some good players.  They scrap out rebounds.  Their shooting was deplorable.  But I thought we caused some of those issues.  But they sure don't play like a 3-9 team.
  • I really thought we played a pretty pedestrian game.  Nothing great, nothing bad, but they were never really in the game and we won by 20+.  To me, that is rather impressive.
  • Free throw shooting started okay, but we left a lot of points at the line.  Isaiah has a good stroke, so it is a matter of concentration son.
  • This was the type of game that historically caused us problems...not this afternoon.
  • A bit confused why Tom was not in the starting line up.  But there were no down games by anyone that was thrown out there.
  • Our defense continues to please me...a lot.
  • We did look rusty...and yet, another week off.
  • I hope the team enjoys their Christmas break, I hope they all get home and back safely, and I hope that we take it up another gear when they return.

Allen was late for the film session this morning and therefore did not start.

- the progression nana has made on the defensive end in 12 games is remarkable. He still gets lost from time to time but hes competent now and rebounds well. Tip of the cap to the young man

-the flashes that Brady shows in limited minutes are so encouraging. His ability to wall up on the defensive end is going to be key for us in the coming years. Now to just work on those free throws.

-it’s probably not permanent but I like nana in the starting lineup and Allen off the bench. Allen’s capable of getting his own shot and creating for others which we don’t have on the bench. Nana is a dead eye shooter that meshes well w the starters IMO.

-we are going to miss Palmer for many reasons but one of the biggest will be games like today. Dude just brings it every time we need it

25 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Good win, the only negative I would call out is the number of lazy passes that were intercepted or nearly intercepted by CSF. 

25 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Good win, the only negative I would call out is the number of lazy passes that were intercepted or nearly intercepted by CSF. 

I would say the number of offensive rebounds given up could be a negative.