OT: Places to eat in that Berg to the Northeast

Norm Peterson

Norm, if you're trying to impress Vera, and not afraid to spend some coin, I would suggest Monarch Prime in the Hotel Deco at 15th and Harney.  Really nice atmosphere and really nice people.  If you want a great steak or burger and you want more of a casual atmosphere, the best restaurant in Omaha by far is Angus Burgers and Shakes on S. 168th just north of Tiburon.  I might be a little biased on that one....

1 minute ago, cipsucks said:

Norm, if you're trying to impress Vera, and not afraid to spend some coin, I would suggest Monarch Prime in the Hotel Deco at 15th and Harney.  Really nice atmosphere and really nice people.  If you want a great steak or burger and you want more of a casual atmosphere, the best restaurant in Omaha by far is Angus Burgers and Shakes on S. 168th just north of Tiburon.  I might be a little biased on that one....

Yep.  Not trying to impress Vera so much as honor her.  Not afraid to spend coin.  Money is not an issue on this one.  Do not care about the price tag; just want the best fine dining experience out there w/in an hour drive of my home.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, fine dining, I've got V Mertz.

801 Chophouse, anyone?  What about Mahogany Prime?

Boiler Room?  Flemings?  Spezia?

Worst steak I've ever had, no lie, was at 801 Chophouse here in KC.  (besides it's a chain so, whatever)  Cost me 95 bucks too.  I'll never go back.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Worst steak I've ever had, no lie, was at 801 Chophouse here in KC.  (besides it's a chain so, whatever)  Cost me 95 bucks too.  I'll never go back.

I went to the 801 Chophouse on someone else's dime back when it was the Paxton Chophouse.  Still same owners, just made the name of all three locations the same.  It was the best steak dinner I've ever had, but thanks for the warning. I'll cross it off the list.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

That Monarch Prime place @cipsucks recommended looks pretty nice.

Agreed. If I get there, I'll give everyone a run-down.

I'm a cook; not a chef.  I'm an eater; not a foodie.  I love food; I love eating food; I know what I know about food and that which I know, I know pretty well.

But I guess I'm about as much of an expert in food as I am in basketball, which is to say I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to express it.

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I went to the 801 Chophouse on someone else's dime back when it was the Paxton Chophouse.  Still same owners, just made the name of all three locations the same.  It was the best steak dinner I've ever had, but thanks for the warning. I'll cross it off the list.

So one bad steak in Kc and it's off the list.  Ate at 801 in Omaha many times.  Always the best.

39 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Angus Burgers/Shakes would be a good choice. Off of 168th & near Cornhusker, even! :D

Le Bouillon in the Old Market -- little different (it's French) but super good. Little bit on the pretentious side and you cannot eat cheap there but is it ever tasty.

My parents live up there and go to Spezia every so often, but more when it's warmer out and they can sit in the courtyard.

If you don't mind the neighborhood, Johnny's Steakhouse (NOT the Italian one in Village Point, but the old one off of Highway 75) is still pretty outstanding for a steak or chicken. Dad swears by The Drover, too.

Beacon Hills over by Aksarben is pretty nice too -- more casual, less fine dining, but definitely a good bit fancier than it was when it was down here on 27th street. Similar menu still, but the atmosphere is a lot more upscale.