OT: Places to eat in that Berg to the Northeast

Norm Peterson

J Coco is a good one that hasn’t been mentioned. It’s on Leavenworth just west of UNMC. I also recommend Mark’s in Dundee. Really depends on what part of town you are going to be in.  Timber in Countryside Village is good—same owner as Railcar I believe. Most of the steakhouses mentioned are fine. I probably prefer Drover and Brother Sebastian’s the most. 

If if you want the best burger around, go to Block 16. I tell anyone coming to town to go there.

3 hours ago, Jugular said:

J Coco is a good one that hasn’t been mentioned. It’s on Leavenworth just west of UNMC. I also recommend Mark’s in Dundee. Really depends on what part of town you are going to be in.  Timber in Countryside Village is good—same owner as Railcar I believe. Most of the steakhouses mentioned are fine. I probably prefer Drover and Brother Sebastian’s the most. 

If if you want the best burger around, go to Block 16. I tell anyone coming to town to go there.

Excellent choices, jug.

Personally, me and the Mrs. go to the Twisted Cork (note: different than the Twisted Fork) on Pacific Street just east of the interstate exit.  We've got young kids so date nights are a rarity, and the Twisted Cork never disappoints.  It's definitely a 'foodie' restaurant (think 'farm-to-table' West Coast style restaurant) where the atmosphere is not as formal but the food is fantastic, especially if you like seafood.  The owner has a deal with Honolulu Fish Co to have fresh seafood flown in daily.  It's especially apparent in their raw fish meals, such as the swordfish poke bowl or ahi nachos.  Their non-seafood stuff is good too, but we almost always get something wet since it's the only place in town that we found comparable to Hawaiian restaurants we enjoyed.

Some other good choices already mentioned:

Brother Sebastian's: super unique and awesome atmosphere, but their steaks have gone downhill in the last 10 years.  Order one level more rare than normal if you go here.

Dinker's: fantastic burgers and bar food, but is the antithesis of formal dining

Fleming's: it's a chain, but the meals have always been perfect when we've gone in the past

Railcar: Same category as Twisted Cork.  Really good foodie/farm-to-table style restaurant.  A little more casual atmosphere than Twisted Cork, and menu emphasizes beef and chicken more than seafood.  Just based on the food alone, I'd go to ether Railcar or Twisted Cork depending on which menu looks better to you.  Just not sure if they're formal enough for you.

4 hours ago, Jugular said:

Hopefully you tip them off to bring their own straws and napkins.  The paper straws disintegrate and the napkins are basically a single-ply kleenex.  But yeah, good grub. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Yep.  Not trying to impress Vera so much as honor her.  Not afraid to spend coin.  Money is not an issue on this one.  Do not care about the price tag; just want the best fine dining experience out there w/in an hour drive of my home.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Agreed. If I get there, I'll give everyone a run-down.

I'm a cook; not a chef.  I'm an eater; not a foodie.  I love food; I love eating food; I know what I know about food and that which I know, I know pretty well.

But I guess I'm about as much of an expert in food as) I am in basketball, which is to say I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to express it.

Hope we can we get a report Norm after the big event.  All of us (inquiring minds y'know  :Lol:) would like to know.  :wink:

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

My Dad told stories how his dad, back in the 1910's, would load fat cattle on train cars and ride with them from Hampton to Chicago and return with a check.  Just think, it was during those years when Nebraska last won an undisputed conference championship in basketball.

Where are those fat cattle these days? Somebody's gotta take one for the team.

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

My Dad told stories how his dad, back in the 1910's, would load fat cattle on train cars and ride with them from Hampton to Chicago and return with a check.  Just think, it was during those years when Nebraska last won an undisputed conference championship in basketball.

That's amazing. My father would drive a whole load of livestock on the backroads--since Interstate 80 wasn't yet created--from Hamilton Co. to the Omaha stockyards, probably a 18-hour day of work. The Huskers won something in that time-frame in hoops, I believe. Maybe 1950 or so....