uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 11 - Oklahoma State in Sioux Falls

uneblinstu

13 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

During the pre-game show some a** clown on BTN listed his B1G POY candidates. It was the usual suspects except he had the Michigan frosh and NO Jim Palmer. I hope he watched our game and felt like a fool.

Not surprised.  I feel like the support we received last year was meager at best from our dear'ol conference network.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:45 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I am a bit confused about the negativity towards Isaiah Roby.  And this is not meant to be disrespectful towards those with these views.  But I guess I look at him and his role much differently.  He is not scoring at high levels, granted.  But is that his role this year?  When the starting five is on the floor, he likely is the 4th or 5th option.  He does not bitch and moan about it, rather, he does his assigned jobs.  He does get some cheap fouls, some earned, some are head scratchers; but he also makes plays when plays are necessary.  Here are other things he does well:

- he is setting good screens and he takes his defender out of the paint which opens up the lane for his teammates;

- he blocks shots and intimidates the opponent with his wing span and jumping ability;

- he rebounds well;

- he can handle the ball out on the perimeter, and yes, he sometimes dribbles into a turnover when passing up an outside shot while attempting to take it to the basket;

- he passes the ball well, often finding open teammates or making that one additional pass that is necessary for a clean look;

- he is an exceptional help defender, he moves well and can switch and defend all positions;

- he is a very good free throw shooter;

- he can score at all three levels;

- he is playing out of position, and you never (ever) hear a complaint...unlike a few other unnamed players in recent history;

- he is a selfless and great teammate.

I am sure I missed other things he does exceptionally well.  We have players this year who seem to fully understand and embrace their roles.  This is important for team success.  Isaiah is doing the things that help make the Huskers good this year.  His box scores are littered with things that help make us successful.  I also acknowledge that there are some things he can strive to improve...silly fouls, inane turnovers and not taking the open shot (on occasion) when it is available are three that stand out to me.

I don't disagree - Roby is a great teammate and understands his role; it's worked well so far this season. But my response would be, has his performance thus far given you confidence that he can be 'the man' in 2019-2020? Because we will need him to be. That will be his new role, at that point in time. He's solid this year, but when he's one of only one or two of the big four on the court, has he stepped up? I don't know. Doesn't feel like it.

[Before everyone yells at me, just FYI Roby is my second favorite player on the team behind Glynn!]

18 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I don't disagree - Roby is a great teammate and understands his role; it's worked well so far this season. But my response would be, has his performance thus far given you confidence that he can be 'the man' in 2019-2020? Because we will need him to be. That will be his new role, at that point in time. He's solid this year, but when he's one of only one or two of the big four on the court, has he stepped up? I don't know. Doesn't feel like it.

[Before everyone yells at me, just FYI Roby is my second favorite player on the team behind Glynn!]

Roby has had a moment or two where he has tried to carry the team, but it's been few or far between. I believe Isaiah has it in him. He'll get his B1G opportunity before too long.

11 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Each year Isiah has grown as a player and his confidence grows as well. I am very confident that he will assume whatever role is asked of him next year.  

That said, I am not sure I fully understand the definition of being "the man" next season.  Each team is different, and next year we will have a new mix of talent.  Will Isaiah need to score 18 points a game?  Will he play the 3, 4 or 5?  Are we done recruiting, and if additional players come in, what positions will they play?  So much is still in flux, that answering your question likely leads to more questions.

I will say this, I am extremely confident that Isaiah will be a top flight defender.  His length and basketball IQ is second to none.  I am confident that he will rebound.  I am confident that he can play numerous roles and be an ultimate team player.  I am confident that he can handle the ball, run the floor and provide leadership.  I have also seen him shoot and score, and I have no doubt he can consistently contribute 12 to 18 points per game.  So yes, I have a lot of confidence in this young man.  But again, that may depend on your definition of being "the man."

Another follow up question...what do you believe Isaiah's scoring average would be if he shot 15 to 18 shots per game?  He is currently shooting about 47% from the floor and 76% from the free throw line.  He currently is averaging a shade under 10 points a game and has shot the ball on average, less than 7 per game.  That seems pretty darn efficient.  Again, if his current role was to be a primary shooter, I would feel confident he could be "the man."  If there is a down-side, Isaiah currently doesn't create his own shots, like James does/can.  But we have players this year, and we will have them next year as well.  

Again...yes I have a lot of confidence regarding Isaiah.

Sometimes being the team leader means being able to guard 1-5 extremely well, lead the team in blocks and rebounds, be able to initiate the fast break from the 5, pass well from the post, set good screens, have big time finishes at the rim, play your ass off loyally for the duration of your collegiate career through its ups and downs, and earn a reputation for being one of the most polite and caring players imaginable off the court.  

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Another follow up question...what do you believe Isaiah's scoring average would be if he shot 15 to 18 shots per game?  He is currently shooting about 47% from the floor and 76% from the free throw line.  He currently is averaging a shade under 10 points a game and has shot the ball on average, less than 7 per game.  That seems pretty darn efficient.  Again, if his current role was to be a primary shooter, I would feel confident he could be "the man."  If there is a down-side, Isaiah currently doesn't create his own shots, like James does/can.  But we have players this year, and we will have them next year as well.  

Again...yes I have a lot of confidence regarding Isaiah.

I, too, have a lot of confidence in Isaiah, but what many of us are responding to are these data that compare 2017-18 Roby to 2018-2019 Roby:

• FG shooting percentage down from 57 percent to 47 percent (he shot 61 percent in Big Ten play last year)
  • Rebounds down from 6.3 rpg to 5.8
  • Blocks down from 2.0 bpg to 1.5
  • 3-point percentage down from 40 percent to 17 percent (with approximately the same number of attempts per game)
  • His assist to turnover ratio has gone from 1.1:1 (53 assists, 48 TOs) to 1:1 (22 assists, 22 TOs)

His free throw attempts have remained the same from last year to this, and his percentage has improved from 73 to 76 percent.

I would guess that most of us are disappointed that his numbers are down in his third year on the team and his first as a full-time starter.

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

As to ragging on Roby, consider injury issues:

—he had a pre-season leg/knee injury

—he has continuing pain-in-feet problems 

—against Oklahoma St., he was on the floor in agony for a while, with a leg/knee injury—but came back to play the rest of the game, anyway.

Define "ragging."  I prefer "data analysis," and your mitigating factors are a part of that analysis, so thank you.

44 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I, too, have a lot of confidence in Isaiah, but what many of us are responding to are these data that compare 2017-18 Roby to 2018-2019 Roby:

• FG shooting percentage down from 57 percent to 47 percent (he shot 61 percent in Big Ten play last year)
  • 3-point percentage down from 40 percent to 17 percent (with approximately the same number of attempts per game)
  • His assist to turnover ratio has gone from 1.1:1 (53 assists, 48 TOs) to 1:1 (22 assists, 22 TOs)

His free throw attempts have remained the same from last year to this, and his percentage has improved from 73 to 76 percent.

I would guess that most of us are disappointed that his numbers are down in his third year on the team and his first as a full-time starter.

How many of Roby's turnovers this year are because "calling offensive fouls on Nebraska" appears to be a point of emphasis for officials this year?

48 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Glynn Watson's 3-point shooting percentages by season:

Freshman year:  .267

Sophomore year:  .397

Junior year:  .291

Senior year:  .448

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many of Roby's turnovers this year are because "calling offensive fouls on Nebraska" appears to be a point of emphasis for officials this year?

Probably half those 22 turnovers are on uncontested jumpers he does not take where he tries to put it on the floor. 

That being said I don’t think we need him to dominate next year. There will be a lot of fire power on this team next season 

I don't think Roby is an NBA prospect because he has the potential to be a scoring machine.  It's his defensive versatility, all-around skillset, athleticism, passing, ability to finish at the rim, and character that are getting him looks.  

Iggy is still a top 15 SF in the league, and he's only averaging 6pts, 3rbs, 3a per game.  But defensively he is disruptive as hell.  

I think we're forgetting that our center could probably legitimately defend opposing point guards if he was tasked to do so.  

I also agree that Roby needs to shoot the damned 3 when he's open.  

While I agree Roby has not taken the big step forward offensively we were hoping to see, his work on the defensive end is extremely high level, so he's more than making up for it on that end.

The number of passes he deflects, balls he pokes loose, shots he alters and/or blocks, shots he forces players to turn down, and back-door cut passes he takes away is very impressive if you just watch him work on that end. He's also often the guy directing our transition defense, making sure we're picking up the shooters at the 3-pt line, while he covers the lane.

I would even say he's a huge reason we can play aggressively out on the perimeter and chase shooters off the 3-pt line. He makes things uncomfortable for players who drive into the lane  while trying to beat our tight perimeter defense.

On this team that has so many scoring options, his biggest contribution to helping us win is going to come on the defensive end, and he's excelling on that end, minus a few silly fouls.  When you consider he's doing all of this while guarding someone who usually outweighs him by 25-50 pounds, it's really impressive.

2 hours ago, throwback said:

While I agree Roby has not taken the big step forward offensively we were hoping to see, his work on the defensive end is extremely high level, so he's more than making up for it on that end.

The number of passes he deflects, balls he pokes loose, shots he alters and/or blocks, shots he forces players to turn down, and back-door cut passes he takes away is very impressive if you just watch him work on that end. He's also often the guy directing our transition defense, making sure we're picking up the shooters at the 3-pt line, while he covers the lane.

I would even say he's a huge reason we can play aggressively out on the perimeter and chase shooters off the 3-pt line. He makes things uncomfortable for players who drive into the lane  while trying to beat our tight perimeter defense.

On this team that has so many scoring options, his biggest contribution to helping us win is going to come on the defensive end, and he's excelling on that end, minus a few silly fouls.  When you consider he's doing all of this while guarding someone who usually outweighs him by 25-50 pounds, it's really impressive.

Roby is NU's Swiss Army Knife. He's really really really good. I have total confidence that Isaiah will continue to develop in the next 15 months at Nebraska.