uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 11 - Oklahoma State in Sioux Falls

uneblinstu

Roby is 100% the definition of a team player.  He doesn’t need to “get his.”  We have 5 starters this year who can score.  What makes us dangerous is that our guys, especially Roby, don’t play like they need to shoot every time they touch the ball.  Part of me was worried there wouldn’t be enough shots to go around this year.  That subsided after about the 2nd or 3rd game.

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I love love love this team.  One of the best 9-2 starts I can remember.  Our only two losses are both Quad 1 games away from home.  We’ll be fine I think.  

- Palmer was a man amongst boys tonight.  OSU had no answer and no one who could guard him.

- Our starting 5 (including Allen) is probably one of the best all around in the country.  I firmly believe that.

- Should be 11-2 heading into conference play #2.  Don’t even tell me you were going to be upset with that.  I would’ve taken that any day of the week before the season.

- Need to take care of business in these next two.  CSF isn’t great but they aren’t terrible.  

- Kudos to Tim for beefing up our non-con. That win tonight is a hell of a lot better than beating some SWAC team with no students in PBA.

- A 10-1 Non-Con lays a solid foundation for the conference season.  Go 1-1 to start January play and we’ll be talking seeding.  I’m already almost to the point of talking seeding.

I'm old enough to remember that year we took a beating with a tough non-con schedule thinking we'd have the services of He Who Shall Not Be Named, III.

Too many heartbreaking, tough losses with a young team and a tough schedule and they ran out of bounce-back.  And the team that beat Indiana and Maryland on the road at the beginning of conference play tanked at the end.

Imagine what that season could have looked like if we'd had the roster we expected we'd have when Miles put that schedule together.

It's one of the reasons I've begun to loathe some people who can't see the exigent circumstances beyond the win/loss record.

"Miles has only really had 2 good months in seven years."  Shut up, jerk, and finish installing the wiring for my new jacuzzi.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Roby is 100% the definition of a team player.  He doesn’t need to “get his.”  We have 5 starters this year who can score.  What makes us dangerous is that our guys, especially Roby, don’t play like they need to shoot every time they touch the ball.  Part of me was worried there wouldn’t be enough shots to go around this year.  That subsided after about the 2nd or 3rd game.

Roby is everyone in my entire fam's favorite player. Love that dude! My son is so excited to meet him tomorrow night at Nebrasketball Buddies at the Hendricks Training Complex !!! GBR !!!

14 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We came out and looked like we were ill, or that we were rusty, or we studied too much; because we looked bad the first 15+ minutes.  Then we flipped a switch and played well from that point forward.

Okie State is not as good as I thought they would be.  They will struggle to win in the Big XII.  So it is a game we should have won by 20 to 30, and we did.

Big games by James, Tom and Cope.  Others did okay.  

I hope that we can get healthy and get back to Lincoln safely.

You know I can't let this comment slide.  I tried and I tried, but I just can't let it go!  Not one person in the HHCC picked a 20 point victory, but yet we were supposed to win by 20 or 30? 

2 minutes ago, big red22 said:

You know I can't let this comment slide.  I tried and I tried, but I just can't let it go!  Not one person in the HHCC picked a 20 point victory, but yet we were supposed to win by 20 or 30? 

I just looked (briefly), and the first two posts in the HHCC deal were 20+ point victories. But, yeah, I see what you're saying @big red22 not a ton of other ppl had blowouts predicted.

Best thing not discussed much are not the results of palmers shot lately, but the elimination of some of the hitch in the giddyup.  It is a much more repeatable stroke now than it was earlier in the season.  Still shoots too high for my taste, but at least it has a chance at repeatability.  

Edited by royalfan

10 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Best thing not discussed much are not the results of palmers shot lately, but the elimination of some of the hitch in the giddyup.  It is a much more repeatable stroke now than it was earlier in the season.  Still shoots too high for my taste, but at least it has a chance at repeatability.  

Looking at the highlights (I didn't get a chance to watch the game), I was impressed that he drove with his left on multiple occasions.  Need that to continue!

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Once I saw them in the second half, yes.  Before the game, no.  My point was the way we defended, the way their offense performed, we should have pulled away; and we did.  Perhaps I was to harsh in the moment when I opined they would struggle in their conference, but the way they shot in the second half, does create that particular aura.

Here is a not too good observation regarding James.  The good news is that this "possible issue" is very correctable.  James does a good job pressuring the ball; but in doing so, his man will dribble penetrate with James hanging (figuratively) at his side.  What then happens is Cope or Isaiah provides great help defense.  But when they come to help, James is not taking the next necessary step; and that is boxing out the player that Roby or Cope was originally covering.   The shot is challenged and missed, but we are not getting the resulting rebound.

Last evening, especially in the first half, OSU was getting a number of second chance points as a result.  Further evidence is the lack of rebounds James has had in the past couple of games.  Am I totally off base, or is my observation correct?

That said, he is doing so much right, it is hard to find areas of opportunity.  Perhaps this will be something to keep an eye on as we move towards conference play.