Scouting Arkansas (7-3)

Bugeaters1

Had our chances to win because of the freshman and Nicea but couldn't quiet pull it off.... maddie needs to play about half the minutes she has been playing... hannah needs to only play 3 minutes at a time cuz she is a damn high school kid when she is tired... kate could stay out of foul trouble it would be nice!!! 

If coach can keep this freshman group intact for 4 years.... we will be a top 10 to 15 team their junior and senior years!!! These freshman can play with about any one already!!

Really bummed tonight... the refs didnt help at all and the fact that we had a chance to win hurts after all that...

After watching our 11 games, here's my thoughts.  Simon should not be starting. I'm sorry to come down on the kid but she's not a good shooter, doesn't handle the ball well, misses too many bunnies and has way too many turnovers. I know she's the senior but she's not helping the team. Whitish is probably the slowest point guard I can remember.I've seen her get out hustled in way too many games. Haiby should be starting and playing as much time as she's able. We need her on the floor.Also Haiby should always be handling the ball for the last shot of a quarter.  Veerbeek needs to play more. She should be starting over Simon.She has good moves around the basket, finishes well, draws fouls and can shoot the 3 decently. I wish Kate Cain could position herself better to receive passes.  We have way too many turnovers trying to get her the ball.  I will agree that some of the problem is bad entry passes.  She needsto score in double figures every game.  Kissinger has to work harder to get herself open on the 3 point line.  They need to set more screens for her to get open and then get her the ball.  I think she only took 7 shots tonight and only 4 3's.  Brown is a hustler and if she ever gets her shot down better she'll be a real threat. Right now I think she has a lot of potential.

Somehow we have to learn to play better defense.  We let the other teams have way too many wide open 3's.  We just seem slow footed. Also we give up too many layups.

This is the second game in a row our starting point guard's turnovers and assists are equal.  Hannah was 6 asst. 6 to's last week and 3 asst. 3 to's this week.  This week she did have 11 pts. where as last week she only had two.  This is unacceptable for a three year starting point guard.  I am still befuddled with what's going on with her.  Last year she played sooo great and this year she pedestrian at best.  Wonder if the early injury was worse than we are letting on.

Ok I need to comment on Mershon since nobody seems to mention her.  She is probably the best freshman of all.  Her +/- number are usually among the best game after game. Almost always a positive influence on the game which the other freshman don't always do.  Haiby and Verbeek were great in second half, not so much in second quarter.   Brown's shot selection questionable.  Mershon just quietly comes in and helps the team, game after game.

I was just about to make another post about Mershon. Have mentioned before that she's getting her feet on the ground and the college game is slowing down for her.

Listening to the game last night...her name kept being mentioned, more, late in the game.  She's becoming more and more productive. She can move well for her 6-3 size. Will continue to be a bigger factor as time goes on.

Browns got to work on her 3 shot...but...she hustles maybe more than anyone. Has great court vision and hit's the boards, gets loose for lay ups, fights for the ball literally  on the floor. I'd take several more like her, and develop them. She's the type of player you never want to slow down, Just work even more with her, on her game. You know when she's in the game...getting better, and effective in all phases

Haiby...I thought early on after a couple of games....she's the real deal. Should start. Freshman stuff come through a little bit sometimes...but she's learning quickly.

Cain got the shaft by the refs. But she's giving the refs a chance to call the foul,  doesn't need to block every shot....be selective. Sometimes just a high arm in protest is enough to make a shooter alter her shot.

Don't think she played half the game...nice job refs. Does an idea the SEC would screw a B1G team surprise anyone ?

Verbeek...play her !

Lastly Nicea is having a very nice year. Go girl !!!

Edited by redsteve

I haven't been able to follow it as much as in the past, so this can all be taken with a grain of salt, but the future seems really bright.  We are playing a lot of true freshmen major minutes.   When you do that you tend to give up 84 points, as it takes even longer for freshmen to figure out the level of defense that is required at this level.    But they all seem to be improving gradually as one would expect.   Some years you play 1 or 2 true freshmen a bunch of minutes.  This year we're playing four!   And there isn't a bust in the group. 

We've dug a big hole for this postseason, but my guess is we show considerable improvement in the conference season, and then next year we hit the ground running. 

Cincore's defense, leadership and toughness has been missed more than I could have imagined.  But remember, she didn't show much of that as a true freshman.   The current freshmen are already playing at high levels for stretches of time.    While it's hard to not live in the present results-wise, I'm really encouraged about the future.  

My $.02.   Really liked how the vets and newbies played together the Denver game.  I think they are moving in the right direction.  This last game, I don't like 

whining, BUT, the refs took us out of the game.  We had them on the ropes early, and the stripes took over.  I'm throwing this game out.   

Maddie has started extremely slow, probably needs fewer minutes for now, but I seem to recall a slow start last year too.  If memory serves me right, she was playing at a very high level by years end. That Maddie would really help this team.   Kate, throw out this stripe marred game.  The two previous games were winners.  Her stock is on the rise.   Hannah is Hannah.   She might have received many accolades last year, but wasn't without warts.  She has always been prone to turn overs. She has never been the most athletic.  She IS a winner.  I think the girls look to her for leadership.

I trust coach Williams will get this thing rolling.  If this turns out to be an NIT year.  OK.  I'm fine with that.  Heck, I will be pleased if we make the post season in any form.    

Happy Holidays all.    GBR

Good Comments All.  This game reminds me of the Drake game.  When shots are falling we can put up big points in a Hurry; when they aren't, our inexperience shows.  Last season I think everyone will agree we overachieved B1G Time; so far this season we seem to be underachieving, particularly in relation to the level of talent on the team.  But one thing has Not changed that will stand us in good stead while we go into our Conference Schedule - that is the GRIT; No QUIT of our Husker Ladies!

Merry Christmas everyone! :Santa:

Next Game 12/28 vs Michigan @ PBA (TV on BTN)

8 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Ok I need to comment on Mershon since nobody seems to mention her.  She is probably the best freshman of all.  Her +/- number are usually among the best game after game. Almost always a positive influence on the game which the other freshman don't always do.  Haiby and Verbeek were great in second half, not so much in second quarter.   Brown's shot selection questionable.  Mershon just quietly comes in and helps the team, game after game.

If she could only shoot. seems to be a Hallie Sample type of player, who got better in the four years she was here.

7 hours ago, redsteve said:

I was just about to make another post about Mershon. Have mentioned before that she's getting her feet on the ground and the college game is slowing down for her.

Listening to the game last night...her name kept being mentioned, more, late in the game.  She's becoming more and more productive. She can move well for her 6-3 size. Will continue to be a bigger factor as time goes on.

Browns got to work on her 3 shot...but...she hustles maybe more than anyone. Has great court vision and hit's the boards, gets loose for lay ups, fights for the ball literally  on the floor. I'd take several more like her, and develop them. She's the type of player you never want to slow down, Just work even more with her, on her game. You know when she's in the game...getting better, and effective in all phases

Haiby...I thought early on after a couple of games....she's the real deal. Should start. Freshman stuff come through a little bit sometimes...but she's learning quickly.

Cain got the shaft by the refs. But she's giving the refs a chance to call the foul,  doesn't need to block every shot....be selective. Sometimes just a high arm in protest is enough to make a shooter alter her shot.

Don't think she played half the game...nice job refs. Does an idea the SEC would screw a B1G team surprise anyone ?

Verbeek...play her !

Lastly Nicea is having a very nice year. Go girl !!!

To me Verbeek reminds me alot of Cady. just hustles and gets mad and plays even harder.

7 hours ago, HB said:

I haven't been able to follow it as much as in the past, so this can all be taken with a grain of salt, but the future seems really bright.  We are playing a lot of true freshmen major minutes.   When you do that you tend to give up 84 points, as it takes even longer for freshmen to figure out the level of defense that is required at this level.    But they all seem to be improving gradually as one would expect.   Some years you play 1 or 2 true freshmen a bunch of minutes.  This year we're playing four!   And there isn't a bust in the group. 

We've dug a big hole for this postseason, but my guess is we show considerable improvement in the conference season, and then next year we hit the ground running. 

Cincore's defense, leadership and toughness has been missed more than I could have imagined.  But remember, she didn't show much of that as a true freshman.   The current freshmen are already playing at high levels for stretches of time.    While it's hard to not live in the present results-wise, I'm really encouraged about the future.  

It seems to me that when Haiby & Verbeek come in the game goes to a higher level.

5 hours ago, 12dozen said:

My $.02.   Really liked how the vets and newbies played together the Denver game.  I think they are moving in the right direction.  This last game, I don't like 

whining, BUT, the refs took us out of the game.  We had them on the ropes early, and the stripes took over.  I'm throwing this game out.   

Maddie has started extremely slow, probably needs fewer minutes for now, but I seem to recall a slow start last year too.  If memory serves me right, she was playing at a very high level by years end. That Maddie would really help this team.   Kate, throw out this stripe marred game.  The two previous games were winners.  Her stock is on the rise.   Hannah is Hannah.   She might have received many accolades last year, but wasn't without warts.  She has always been prone to turn overs. She has never been the most athletic.  She IS a winner.  I think the girls look to her for leadership.

I trust coach Williams will get this thing rolling.  If this turns out to be an NIT year.  OK.  I'm fine with that.  Heck, I will be pleased if we make the post season in any form.    

Happy Holidays all.    GBR

Is Whiteish really a true point guard though? seems Haiby and Hudson had that nailed down.

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

Good Comments All.  This game reminds me of the Drake game.  When shots are falling we can put up big points in a Hurry; when they aren't, our inexperience shows.  Last season I think everyone will agree we overachieved B1G Time; so far this season we seem to be underachieving, particularly in relation to the level of talent on the team.  But one thing has Not changed that will stand us in good stead while we go into our Conference Schedule - that is the GRIT; No QUIT of our Husker Ladies!

Merry Christmas everyone! :Santa:

Next Game 12/28 vs Michigan @ PBA (TV on BTN)

Merry Christmas to you. I now have a two week break from work, and am going to enjoy it. already having a beer or two or three.

Edited by Bugeaters1