Any mid season or grad transfer big man transfers available

On 12/16/2018 at 10:00 AM, Huskerpapa said:

I wonder if this dude is still available and if he is worth a look.   Looks like he played at Sunrise Academy.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isiah-jasey

Looked him up. Nothing yet on where he's going. Interesting guy. 

There's a couple guys who I think Miles will look at. We offered isaih back in 16 (according to rivals, not 247) so there is a relationship. 

Might be worth a look

50 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Looked him up. Nothing yet on where he's going. Interesting guy. 

There's a couple guys who I think Miles will look at. We offered isaih back in 16 (according to rivals, not 247) so there is a relationship. 

Might be worth a look

He’s got a decent right hook and looks like a solid shot blocker but I don’t see this being the kinda kid we target as a transfer. 

8 minutes ago, unl said:

When do you guys think Heiman makes the big jump? I think I know that he will be good by his junior year...but I hope he can compete next year. He’s got a strong chance to start next season...

He is competing this year when given a chance. At worst I think he’s an average player next year. Watching him do that reverse layup at the end last night and I’m just like wow our 6’10 freshmen post just made that look easy. Been awhile since we could say that

We don't need any big man transfers.  Brady and Tanner are both more than serviceable, and we'll very likely have Roby back next season.  If Brady wasn't playing behind Roby's freakish skillset (next year as well) and sharing time with Tanner's experience, I'm very confident he'd have plenty of double doubles as a true freshman.  He's not that light (220 easily by now) and he's way more physical than I thought he'd be.  Very athletic kid to boot.  He belongs in the realm of our standard 4* talent.  

And, yes, I'm tooting my own horn as I've thought this kid was the truth since his senior year of hs.  

8 minutes ago, LK1 said:

We don't need any big man transfers.  Brady and Tanner are both more than serviceable, and we'll very likely have Roby back next season.  If Brady wasn't playing behind Roby's freakish skillset (next year as well) and sharing time with Tanner's experience, I'm very confident he'd have plenty of double doubles as a true freshman.  He's not that light (220 easily by now) and he's way more physical than I thought he'd be.  Very athletic kid to boot.  He belongs in the realm of our standard 4* talent.  

And, yes, I'm tooting my own horn as I've thought this kid was the truth since his senior year of hs.  

Do you know something about Tanner's eligibility for next year? He's a senior who has played in every one of his four years on the team.

53 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don’t think Tanner seeks out that extra year either. Likely need a grad transfer big and a transfer big or Hs 4/5 too.

20 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Do you know something about Tanner's eligibility for next year? He's a senior who has played in every one of his four years on the team.

Not for Tanner.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I was saying that Brady is currently sharing time with Tanner as Roby's backup this season, and will likely be Roby's sole backup next season.  I agree it's a good idea to bring in a big, but not because Brady needs more time to develop.  I think we should be looking for a freshman big to develop and get spot minutes rather than a grad transfer (unless the grad transfer is phenomenal, which is beyond rare).  

Copeland will be sorely missed, but I think Nana and Arop will be utilized as pesky small 4s next season.  Arop is going to be a mini-Roby for us, but doing the same nightmarish things to opposing 4s.  http://www.hudl.com/profile/8733361/Akol-Arop  <-- he's way above the rim, and a nightmare in transition, and can switch on screens and guard 1-4.  We're going to have plenty of versatility defensively.  I'm guessing the rotation will be something like:

Allen / Adams-Woods (don't sleep on him as he is our only true PG next season) / Harris

Green / Harris

Burke / Harris

Akenten / Arop

Roby / Heiman 

^^^ 1-5 of this starting lineup can make an open 3 and switch on every screen when guarding the perimeter.  If I'm recruiting, the biggest weakness I see for TM's system is a lack of a true point guard.  I don't think we fully realize how important GW III in keeping our turnovers low with his great ball handling.  I'm not sure who that is going to be next season.  

Until Harris learns to shoot, I think his role will be relegated to a really, really, good utility player.  His ballhandling and defense will get him on the court, I just don't know where that will be.  

8 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Allen / Adams-Woods (don't sleep on him as he is our only true PG next season) / Harris

Green / Harris

Burke / Harris

Akenten / Arop

Roby / Heiman 

^^^ 1-5 of this starting lineup can make an open 3 and switch on every screen when guarding the perimeter.  If I'm recruiting, the biggest weakness I see for TM's system is a lack of a true point guard.  I don't think we fully realize how important GW III in keeping our turnovers low with his great ball handling.  I'm not sure who that is going to be next season.  

I trust your judgement, but that puts our starting lineup at 6-0, 6-3, 6-4, 6-6, 6-8. Seems kinda puny, and if we're talking about playing out of position, I'd argue that Allen is much more of a natural 1 than either Akenten or Arop are natural 4s. I assume we'd all like to see Burke and Green in the same lineup, but they may have to share time until one or both emerge as high-level B1G players. Thus, I'd be more inclined to think we start the season with 

1. Allen/Adams-Woods/Harris
  2. Burke/Green/Harris
  3. Akenten/Green/Arop
  4. Roby
  5. Heiman

And a need for at least one big transfer, maybe two.

41 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I trust your judgement, but that puts our starting lineup at 6-0, 6-3, 6-4, 6-6, 6-8. Seems kinda puny, and if we're talking about playing out of position, I'd argue that Allen is much more of a natural 1 than either Akenten or Arop are natural 4s. I assume we'd all like to see Burke and Green in the same lineup, but they may have to share time until one or both emerge as high-level B1G players. Thus, I'd be more inclined to think we start the season with 

1. Allen/Adams-Woods/Harris
  2. Burke/Green/Harris
  3. Akenten/Green/Arop
  4. Roby
  5. Heiman

And a need for at least one big transfer, maybe two.

I don't see Tom as a 1.  He's such a good natural scorer and phenomenal shooter that I want him roaming at all times if I'm TM.  Also, he's 6'2" and a pesky defender.  However, I could see him as a PG by committee with Burke and/or Green.  Regardless, I think 1-3 spots are absolutely loaded for next season from a scoring perspective and it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.  I think they'll be very explosive.

I can't see Akenten being anything other than a 4.  He's not a ball handler.  Both he and Arop offset their height with absurd athleticism (Nana is a good rebounder) and the ability to shoot threes, not to mention their abilities in transition.  It's happened several times over the past couple of years where we get beat up on the glass for the first half and then run opponents into the ground in the second half largely because we are playing small ball in the front court.   

I can agree in principle that we need another big, but I don't think we'll find a grad transfer better than Brady.  He's actually a good player at the D1 level, and has proven it every time he's in a game this season.  I completely trust him.  So, assuming this, I'd think we try to find a  6'7" - 6'9" freshman who can run the court and/or spot up from deep and develop him along with a PG with decent size like Zaire Wade who can be developed as well.  

When I say "Big" moving forward, it's gotta be understood that I'm not talking about a traditional post player.  Miles is done recruiting those, which I think is a very smart move.  I'm talking about a versatile defender who can play the 4-5 on offense, and switch off of screens defensively on the perimeter.  

Consider the Warriors championship lineup (pre-KD) of Curry (6'3"), Thompson (6'7"), Iggy (6'6"), Draymond (6'8") and Harrison Barnes (6'8").  Scaling that to the size of NBA players, and that was a puny lineup as well, but they were versatile defensively on the perimeter, could run, and score from anywhere on the court.  I think we'll have a college version of this next season.  

4 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don't see Tom as a 1.  He's such a good natural scorer and phenomenal shooter that I want him roaming at all times if I'm TM.  Also, he's 6'2" and a pesky defender.  However, I could see him as a PG by committee with Burke and/or Green.  Regardless, I think 1-3 spots are absolutely loaded for next season from a scoring perspective and it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.  I think they'll be very explosive.

I can't see Akenten being anything other than a 4.  He's not a ball handler.  Both he and Arop offset their height with absurd athleticism (Nana is a good rebounder) and the ability to shoot threes, not to mention their abilities in transition.  It's happened several times over the past couple of years where we get beat up on the glass for the first half and then run opponents into the ground in the second half largely because we are playing small ball in the front court.   

I can agree in principle that we need another big, but I don't think we'll find a grad transfer better than Brady.  He's actually a good player at the D1 level, and has proven it every time he's in a game this season.  I completely trust him.  So, assuming this, I'd think we try to find a  6'7" - 6'9" freshman who can run the court and/or spot up from deep and develop him along with a PG with decent size like Zaire Wade who can be developed as well.  

When I say "Big" moving forward, it's gotta be understood that I'm not talking about a traditional post player.  Miles is done recruiting those, which I think is a very smart move.  I'm talking about a versatile defender who can play the 4-5 on offense, and switch off of screens defensively on the perimeter.  

Consider the Warriors championship lineup (pre-KD) of Curry (6'3"), Thompson (6'7"), Iggy (6'6"), Draymond (6'8") and Harrison Barnes (6'8").  Scaling that to the size of NBA players, and that was a puny lineup as well, but they were versatile defensively on the perimeter, could run, and score from anywhere on the court.  I think we'll have a college version of this next season.  

Awesome review. Thanks.

BTW, Huskers.com has Tom at 6-1, so neither of us had that right.

Just now, jayschool said:

His recruiting profiles have 6-2, so that's probably what's in your brain. 

What's in my brain that he's 6-0?

(Don't answer that!)

It's rhetorical, but he looks smaller than he is, shoots a set shot (a beautiful one), etc.

It's like Steve Nash.  Dude is 6'4"--2 inches short than Jordan, the same height as DWade--but everyone thinks he overcame his tiny body.  

Miles indicated Green can play the 1. Think DB could as well, so do not think we see TA being the primary ball handler to much like this year. Those three will be starting next year with Robby from what Miles has said. Then either Nana or Brady as of now depending if we go small or not and i prefer the smaller lineup myself. We need another 4-5 who can play right away for sure. Also think Arop is more natural 4, reminds me of the Jefferson kid at Creighton, hopefully his 3pt shot improves as much as that guy has.