Scouting Denver

Bugeaters1

Denver is 7-2 with losses to No.Colo and Wyoming, both of these games were on the road. Denver has only played three roads games up to tonight, they play at New Mexico State tomorrow night.  Denver averages 86.1 pts. a game & 43.9 rbs a game. they shoot .451 from the field & .434 from behind the arc they also avg. 16.6 asst & 16.1 TO's a game. the asst to TO ratio is 1.0. Denver has six players over 6' the starting five looks like this, Samantha Romanowski 5'9" has played 278 mins. avgs. 8.6 pts, Claire Gritt 5'10" has played 267 mins. avgs. 12.3 pts, Lauren Loven 5'7' has played 258 mins. avgs. 18.3 pts, Madison Nelson 6'1" has played 248 mins. avgs. 14.9 pts, Sydney Mech 6'2" has played 228 mins. avgs 8.3 pts.  Nelson and Mech both have 16 blocks on the year, with Romanowski following with 12. Denver plays seven to eight players when the going gets tough. Jim Turgeon is Mark Turgeon's brother and Maddie's Uncle.

here is a link to the Denver's stats if you guys would like to look at them.

https://denverpioneers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=wbball&year=2018

Edited by Bugeaters1

Thanks @Bugeaters1!!!  :nod:   (I think all of us may be a little distracted with the Women's Volleyball team advancing to the NCAA Finals and the drought in basketball games this week.)

That is a good scouting report.  :Bow:  Enough to give us some pause!  Denver is now 9-3 with a high-powered offense averaging 83.9 points and 9.5 threes per game on 40.8 percent three-point shooting.  DU has four players averaging double figures, led by Junior Lauren Loven.   This could be a difficult game, especially their coming off a close 66-64 loss.  

4 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Ditto for me, Bugs.  I look several times a day, to see if anything new has been posted.  Your efforts do not go unnoticed.  Thanks.

Ditto Ditto Ditto Bugs.... Been real busy this week...AND watching the volleyball like everyone else.

Did read that the Denver coach..is Maddies uncle !   I had no idea. Apparently grandpa will be routing for both teams.

Saturday, December 15, 2018, 4:30 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena - Lincoln, Nebraska
Live Video: BTN Plus
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (4:15 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln-B107.3 FM; Omaha-ESPN 590 AM
Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn 
Edited by redsteve

I don't believe the Denver coach is Maddie's uncle.  Marie's grandmother is married to Bob Tuergeon, father of the Denver coach and also Mark Tuergeon, the Maryland d coach.  Bob is Maddie's grandmother's second husband.  Bob is not Maddie's blood grandfather.
In today's program it mentions that Jim Turton is mattie's uncle. That info could be fake though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

I don't believe the Denver coach is Maddie's uncle.  Marie's grandmother is married to Bob Tuergeon, father of the Denver coach and also Mark Tuergeon, the Maryland d coach.  Bob is Maddie's grandmother's second husband.  Bob is not Maddie's blood grandfather.

The Omaha World Herald see's it differently'......

Omaha World Herald today....

Denver scouting report: There are plenty of connections that bring the Pioneers to Lincoln. Coach Jim Turgeon knows Nebraska coach Amy Williams from his days as Iowa Western’s coach, but more specifically, he’s the uncle of Husker forward Maddie Simon. Her grandfather, Bob, lives in Lincoln and is Jim’s dad. Jim Turgeon is in his second year at Denver, 

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Also, looks like Kristen Hudson maybe done 4 the year. She has a cast on her left foot. And is riding a scooter.

Coach Amy confirmed in her pre-game interview that Kirsten Hudson was out for the season.  Said she had surgery on her foot.  They will try to see if they can get a waiver preserving her eligibility next year.

Playing much smoother as a team. Everyone seems to be on same page.

Lighting up the score board. 31 pts at the 1st qtr

Still to many turnovers, but really getting it done defensively. Denver may have some fouling out before it's all said and done.
Denver Can't handle inside game

Stats show we have 12 assists in 1st half.  That's a big deal in the scheme of things.

Shooting 50%...but 30 at 3's.  84% free throws   Those are also very nice stats. Turnovers improved somewhat in the 2nd qtr.

Will still have to maintain our edge...Denver can score, We're winning the track meet thus far....but need to keep up the pace. 

If Denver starts fouling out...it's probably over.

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, redsteve said:
Stats show we have 12 assists in 1st half.  That's a big deal in the scheme of things.

Shooting 50%...but 30 at 3's.  84% free throws   Those are also very nice stats. Turnovers improved somewhat in the 2nd qtr.

Will still have to maintain our edge...Denver can score, We're winning the track meet thus far....but need to keep up the pace. 

If Denver starts fouling out...it's probably over.

Looks like we may foul out before Denver does.

Edited by Bugeaters1

Bugs, I haven't posted in quite a while but I do  appreciate your time and effort on the women's side.  I'm always checking to see what's new. I like that the women have cut down on the turnovers. Much of the season it's felt like I was watching a 7th grade game with all the silly turnovers. In my opinion, Whitish has been the biggest disappointment this year.  I'm hoping she will be able to step up her game and give us more points than she has with all her playing time.  I'm really impressed with the freshmen girls, especially Vanderbeek.