uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 10 - creighton

uneblinstu

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

I watched a big beat us down the court fir two.  I would consider it a fast break.  

I think it was after a made basket, though. So, I don't think that counts as a transition basket.  

But, yeah, I remember watching that and I remember seeing Miles pissed that our guys let it happen.

And it didn't happen again after that.

Hey, a couple of additional random thoughts and observations:

- Any idea why we wore red on Saturday?  Seemed a bit weird, and if you are color blind, it likely looked confusing.  

- Heard that the technicals occurred when Miles politely asked Cheater Greg to get back in his coaching box and Cheater Greg responded with a statement close to b*** me, and coach Miles politely responded something akin to have you had a visit lately by the NCAA offices.  Not sure of the exact back and forth, but without any official word, the exact conversation is left to our imaginations.

- Heard some radio heads talking and complaining about Cheater Greg.  They said that Coach Miles was classy after the win and Cheater Greg's comments were boorish or lacked proper respect.  They specifically commented that we won in part due to desperation.  They also opined that perhaps this game is now getting somewhat heated.  Ya think?

12 minutes ago, HB said:

Bad karma for Ty-Shon.    When he made the 3 early he woofed all the way down our Nicholson seats for about 5 seconds.  Then he disappeared.   Justice. 

Par for the course for Ty-shon. He is a serial barker, as I've noticed in the Creighton games I've watched this year. That was the most fun I've had at a basketball game in a long, long time. Kudos to the students for bringing their A-game. Heck, I even had people near me in the 200 section standing for long periods of time, and other than Wisconsin, I never remember that happening. I think I will prolong the celebration by getting a round of red-icing donuts tomorrow for the Creighton grads on my floor at work. 

In fairness to Creighton ...

They are young. They have some really talented sophomores.  Would love it if we had a kid like Ballock who could catch and shoot that quickly and accurately.

The youth issue isn't just an excuse. It wasn't just an excuse for us 2 years ago and it's not just an excuse for them this year.  They have some players and they demonstrated that by beating Clemson and hanging with Gonzaga.  But experience has its advantages and that favored us this year.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

In fairness to Creighton ...

They are young. They have some really talented sophomores.  Would love it if we had a kid like Ballock who could catch and shoot that quickly and accurately.

The youth issue isn't just an excuse. It wasn't just an excuse for us 2 years ago and it's not just an excuse for them this year.  They have some players and they demonstrated that by beating Clemson and hanging with Gonzaga.  But experience has its advantages and that favored us this year.

As does talent.

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

This might sound glib, but we wore the red because the players wanted to. Not really anything more complicated than that. I thought it looked great.

Cool - thanks.  I thought it looked great as well.  But I remember reading complaints from those that suffer color blindness during Thursday night NFL football games when teams wore those one-color football uniforms.  Thought some may have the same issues with both uniforms being dark colored.  

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Another thought I had about Sipple's "high-ranking school official" comment was who that school official could possibly be.

Is the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences a "high-ranking school official?"  Sure.  But, in this context, Sipple wouldn't have referred to them as such.  In the context of the athletic department, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences doesn't really qualify as "high-ranking."

The list of those who would qualify for that designation is … very short:

Hank Bounds

Ronnie Green

Bill Moos

Marc Boehm

That's it.  Anyone other than those 4 people doesn't really count as a "high-ranking school official" in the context of talking about an athletic program.

I have a guess as to who that official was, but I can tell you I doubt it was Moos or Boehm.

You're quicker to dismiss Moos than I am. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he said it off the record. Dude appears to be looking for reasons to make a change.

29 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Cool - thanks.  I thought it looked great as well.  But I remember reading complaints from those that suffer color blindness during Thursday night NFL football games when teams wore those one-color football uniforms.  Thought some may have the same issues with both uniforms being dark colored.  

I've got some color blindness, and I thought it looked great!

I hope Creighton wears blue next year.

Was at the game on Saturday, I will say as a creighton fan I was unsettled due to the environment so who knows how the players felt when the place erupted 5-6 times. PBA is an incredible venue.

props to you guys, you beat us fair and square. The defensive effort we brought to a rivalry game was quite undeserving of a win.

Edited by bleujay

I had a lot of windshield time today, so I got my share of local sports talk.  After the first segment or two, I was already tired of hearing about the Creighton game.  It's like it's old news.  I expect much more out of this team than just beating Creighton.  I believe the team does, too.  I don't begrudge anyone to keep talking about the win over the Bluejays for the rest of this week or year for that matter.  I just wish we played Okie State on Wednesday.  Bring on the rest of the season!

I hear ya, Cip. But I'm soaking all this in a bit and loving every second of it. The team has to turn the page, but I don't just yet. And the team can soak it in a bit, too. I'm actually glad they have finals this week and are forced to take the week off. They spent a ton of energy last week. Get rested up, pick up a 3 more wins before restarting conference play.

I live and work in Omaha. There are so many cubicles with Jays crap hung up all over and people always wearing their gear and I can overhear them talking. I want to sneak over to someone's cube that isn't here today and take a selfie with all their Jays crap. I"m rockin the Nebraska Basketball sweatshirt proudly today. I've been to the last two Nebraska-Creighton games here in Omaha and I didn't think I'd ever hear the end of it. 

Surprise, surprise...crickets today ?

I've lived in Omaha since 2011. Huskers last win against Council Bluffs State was in 2010. It feels so good to walk into work today and my blue bird coworkers weren't chirping. I made sure to walk in wearing my Husker basketball sweatshirt and dropped off a bag of 100 grand bars to the break room. I'm gonna enjoy this year folks and I hope we all do.  

#letemcry

Edited by rwhiston

1 minute ago, rwhiston said:

I've lived in Omaha since 2011. Huskers last win against Council Bluffs State was in 2010. It feels so good to walk into work today and my blue bird coworkers weren't chirping. I made sure to walk in wearing my Husker basketball sweatshirt and dropped off a bag of 100 grand bars to the break room. I'm gonna enjoy this year folks and I hope we all do.  

Damn...I should've brought in some Payday and 100 Grand bars too ?

I re-watched the game and concentrated for a bit on the technicals.  I believe that Greg was upset about the optics behind the basket while they were shooting the free throws.  After a miss and during a substitution he looked right at Miles, pointed the direction of the basket and one can read his lips, three times he said that is bullshit.  I do believe Miles then said something in return and both were hit with T's.  Miles just had this sh** eating grin on his face, and you could see Greg saying "that is bullshit" to the referee.