San Jose State Game Thread

Bugeaters1

3 hours ago, Merlin said:

True. But the freshmen seem to have to light a fire under them to get going sometimes. 

I'm not sure whether I'm interpreting your comment as you intended or not, but I don't believe the freshmen need any additional motivation;  I think they all energetic and self-starters.  IMHO, any one of them could start (or play starter minutes).  But integration into the team and understanding their roles may be a different matter.  (Apologize in advance it I misunderstood your meaning.  :Redface:)

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

No problem. What I meant was that no question the freshmen are motivated and it seems that when they hit the floor that tends to energize the veterans. We obviously need them all to keep improving and the coaches finding the right combinations. 

I personally feel this is the deepest team we’ve had in a long time. 

Agree.   Energy level goes up immediately when a couple of the pups come in.  Veerbeek alone, pushed it up a notch yesterday.  And, it can be contagious.  Kate seemed to catch a bit of it.  She had a splendid game.  Not sure the timing is right for the freshmen to be starters, but they have earned their share of the minutes.  This season could go in so many directions.  Grab your popcorn, should be entertaining.

Edited by 12dozen

I really like our team and the future.  But I wish this board would get off the “freshman” vs “rest of team” bandwagon. The freshman are very very good and talented and very energetic. I love them.  But I have been to a couple games and every kids jersey says Nebraska and there are no special markers for what grade they are in school.  They are all 11 on one team.  I have said it over and over u defend, rebound, share the ball, and protect the ball to earn more minutes.  If you look at the stats it supports that. — starters have 104 assists to 93 turnovers on the year and non starters (6 kids) have 49 assists and 56 turnovers.  Not one non starter is shooting over 25 percent from the theee point line and all starters are.  That is not because of ability. It is because game is faster and athletes are better than high school and it takes some time to settle in for every freshman in America.  Eventually we may have some shift in minutes  and in starts if appropriate but it won’t happen until assists and shooting percentages go up for non starters and turnovers go down. Relax and let it play out. Enjoy the journey watching them all get better.   

Edited by kansashusker

Thanks @kansashusker.  I don't think anyone has suggested or perceives there is any sort of  ' rivalry' between the newcomers and veterans.  More, I think it just reflects how pleased we all are (and perhaps a little pleasantly surprised) at the quality of players that Coach Amy Williams and her staff are able to recruit at this level.  As you eloquently explain, perhaps the most important statistic, at least to players -  that is, minutes on the court, must be earned, whether you're a newcomer or veteran.