San Jose State Game Thread

Bugeaters1

San Jose State is 1-6 on the year.  their tallest player is 6' 3", our length should be problematic for SJS. they average 65.6 pts. a game while giving up 78.7.

Team Stats (1-6)

Overall Team Statistics
Statistic San Jose St. Opponents
SCORING
Total Points 459 551
Points Per Game 65.6 78.7
Scoring Margin -13.1 --
SHOOTING
FG: Made-Attempted 158-447 207-493
FG: Percentage .353 .420
FG: Per Game 22.6 29.6
3PT: Made-Attempted 69-213 43-161
3PT: Percentage .324 .267
3PT: Per Game 9.9 6.1
FT: Made-Attempted 74-104 94-135
FT: Percentage .712 .696
FT: Per Game 10.6 13.4
REBOUNDING
Total 256 335
Per Game 36.6 47.9
Margin -11.3 --
ASSISTS
Total 97 135
Per Game 13.9 19.3
TURNOVERS
Total 149 134
Per Game 21.3 19.1
Margin -2.2 --
Assist/Turnover Ratio 0.7 1.0
Points Off Turnovers 15.0 22.1
STEALS
Total 67 78
Per Game 9.6 11.1
BLOCKS
Total 15 14
Per Game 2.1 2.0

would really like to see our starters get it together this time.  last game we were pulling away with Taylor and the 4 freshmen and kept pulling away with Nicea and the 4.  we put our starters back in and KU pulled within 2.  we put 3 freshmen back in and won by 6. this will some up the whole story 

freshmen (+9,+9,+15,+4)

starters (-9,-9,-2,-1,8) in terms of hustle that would be 37 to negative 13

some observations:  Hannah looks to be pressing too much and playing too little. she needs to just relax and play.

Kate is playing like she's hurt.  shots going away from the basket rather than towards the basket.  twice she set picks and bailed, when the defender got close to contact.  that suggests soreness to me.

i have seen both of them play much, much better

20 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

It was the veterans who turned a close game at half into a blowout

Not by themselves.  After the slow start, were the starting 5 ever on the court together, after the 1st quarter?  The kids were responsible for the lead in the first half, and meshed well with Kate and Taylor the second half, to seal the deal.  I wish Hannah took better care of the ball.  Not sure where Maddie's head is at.  Encouraged by Kate's play today. She seemed to run the court better, had a heck of a game.   

Edited by 12dozen
typo

A lot to like in the Stats (well, except for FTs :Redface:).   A lot of Game Hi's!

Is it just me or do they seem to be playing more like a 'Team' lately, especially when adversity strikes; and the shots were falling today.  Admittedly, San Jose State is not the best competition they've faced, and SS had just played a game vs Colorado @ Boulder, but nevertheless is a good confidence-builder.

If the Team continues to improve like this it should be very interesting to watch the conference schedule!

Congrats to Leigha Brown...18 pts leading scorer.  The game seems to have slowed down a bit for her...more purposeful shooting. Hannah seems to regained her form. ...good stuff today...lots of assists

Veerbek 14 pts AND 14 rebounds.... absolutely love her physical play........and Kate with 16 pts and 17 REBOUNDS ! Taylor 17 pts.

Good overall game once we got the cob webs out?  We like to run apparently. They wanted to run so we obliged them. We never ran out of gas with all the depth we have on the bench.

Not a strong opponent, but we won like we should win against such an team.  That speaks volumes about our progress (still ongoing)

Fun to watch game. Good experience to win going away. Confidence builder.

Edited by redsteve

Don't have much to add, other than when the Huskers came out of halftime. Coach was yelling to move the ball faster against the zone. And I thought FREE THROWS were shit, looks like the keystone cops on FREE THROWS. As I said earlier in a post Maddie just needs to slow down a bit. I think on the layups that  she missed she was expecting to get fouled, so she went hard with the shot.

There are different ways to track +\-   One is a hustle chart assigning positive and negative scores to different aspects of the gm — ie) and assist might be plus 2 and a turnover -2.  However somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think  the +/-  they have been putting on the box scores reflects how much the score changed positively or negatively when each player was in the game.  For instance if I started and played 3 min and we had a 6-0 lead and I had no stats and never checked back In the game I think it would give me a plus 6.  

Edited by kansashusker

6 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

There are different ways to track +\-   One is a hustle chart assigning positive and negative scores to different aspects of the gm — ie) and assist might be plus 2 and a turnover -2.  However somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think  the +/-  they have been putting on the box scores reflects how much the score changed positively or negatively when each player was in the game.  For instance if I started and played 3 min and we had a 6-0 lead and I had no stats and never checked back In the game I think it would give me a plus 6.  

KH you are correct in assumption of how the score changed when said player was in the game.