Are a couple of our guys really snake bit?

Silverbacked1

I know that as we watch games this year that we feel that both JPJ and Roby get some unfair calls.

I think we are right, but here is my question, how does a player get their rep?  Is it word of mouth from one ref to another, or is it coaches putting a word in before games?

I know it can go both ways...   And I am scared that JPJ will get 2 fouls getting off the bus in Wisconsin because of Davison sitting on the ground stretching during pregame.

Edited by Silverbacked1

Davison has a rep, too, now and it's not necessarily good. Refs will whisper about who is a serial flopper over time. It's a Boy Who Cried "Charge" sort of scenario. You get a rep as an Oscar candidate, you start not getting close calls. 

In the meantime, players know other players' tendencies. It's their job to adapt to those in a game. 

18 hours ago, tcp said:

Davison has a rep, too, now and it's not necessarily good. Refs will whisper about who is a serial flopper over time. It's a Boy Who Cried "Charge" sort of scenario. You get a rep as an Oscar candidate, you start not getting close calls. 

In the meantime, players know other players' tendencies. It's their job to adapt to those in a game. 

I kind of disagree with you on Davison.  I think he's gotten the opposite type of rep that says, "Hey, here's a guy that does a great job of drawing charges" and gets a lot of BS calls even though everybody outside the lines knows damn well that he's flopping 90% of the time, ala Aaron Craft from OSU a few years back.  Every Wisco game I've watched so far he's gotten numerous charge calls - a handful legit, but most Oscar performances.

I don't think I've ever seen him called for a block.

Edited by NUtball

2 hours ago, NUtball said:

I kind of disagree with you on Davison.  I think he's gotten the opposite type of rep that says, "Hey, here's a guy that does a great job of drawing charges" and gets a lot of BS calls even though everybody outside the lines knows damn well that he's flopping 90% of the time, ala Aaron Craft from OSU a few years back.  Every Wisco game I've watched so far he's gotten numerous charge calls - a handful legit, but most Oscar performances.

I don't think I've ever seen him called for a block.

A. Aaron Craft earned his rep. He was  an outstanding defender. Annoying, but good. His senior year he got away with a ton of crap, but it wasn't a gift. B. My point about Davison is evidenced by this thread. *We're* talking about him flopping. So are others. And this is his first year of visibility, so if he keep acting like he's being launched from a catapult every time someone breathes on him, that rep will filter to opponents and refs. 

1 hour ago, tcp said:

A. Aaron Craft earned his rep. He was  an outstanding defender. Annoying, but good. His senior year he got away with a ton of crap, but it wasn't a gift. B. My point about Davison is evidenced by this thread. *We're* talking about him flopping. So are others. And this is his first year of visibility, so if he keep acting like he's being launched from a catapult every time someone breathes on him, that rep will filter to opponents and refs. 

Fair enough.  I'm sure Craft got a lot of criticism for flopping as well from anyone whose team played against him.  I know I criticized him regularly, because he was a master of it.  Davison played last year and got a lot of good pub from the talking heads as good defender (for the record, I think he is an above average defender).  If you're speaking national visibility, there might be something to that.

I just don't see the current situation changing much.  He has a lot of things in his favor for it to continue.  Wisconsin is and has been considered a very good defensive team.  As I said above, Davison is a pretty good defender (and flopper) and will probably continue to improve his defense (and acting).  The refs the B1G typically gets are arguably quite poor at their craft (no pun intended).

Only time will tell.  I would hope things would even out, but right now, I don't see it.

OK, I'm going to say it: There's entirely too much time spent complaining about bad calls. We are currently TENTH in nation in fewest fouls. (Michigan is No. 1).

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/286

So, in fact, you could argue that one of the reasons we're having a good season is we don't get called for that many fouls. Our lack of depth means we simply can't afford even 1 of the big 4 to get in foul trouble, but they play a lot of minutes, so they're often mentally fatigued and make costly mistakes. So while that magnifies the importance of fouls, we're simply not getting called for more fouls than everybody else.

Roby is called for a lot of fouls because he fouls a lot. You can quibble on some of them, but he fouls a lot. He reaches and he bumps guys moving through traffic. JPJ barrels into the lane regularly and draws contact. Yeah, he gets charges but he also draws A LOT of fouls. It's a risky thing to do, but more often than not it works and that's why he was All BIG. 

Just because we’re called for few fouls doesn’t mean they are good calls though.  Also, one of the biggest complaints from the Minnesota game wasn’t even a foul (missed goaltend).

I agree completely with everyone who said we should have won the Minny game despite the refereeing.  However, there were a lot of misses in the 8 minutes I watched at the end.  That deserves some criticism.