uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 9 - @ Minnesota

uneblinstu

5 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

??? 

We has 3 significant wins last year we already have at least one and will get another 10+ shots at it after the next 2 games. I define significant as a Q1 or Q2 win same as the committee. Also bottom half is much different than bottom 4. The 8th best team in the big ten makes the tourney this year.

If we can’t split the next two. 1 in the vault. 1 in Sioux Falls that will basically be a home game we will be lucky to get two more significant wins in the big ten even with 5 of those chances coming at home. Lots of opportunities does not mean lots of wins 

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If we can’t split the next two. 1 in the vault. 1 in Sioux Falls that will basically be a home game we will be lucky to get two more significant wins in the big ten even with 5 of those chances coming at home. Lots of opportunities does not mean lots of wins 

Oklahoma St is not good.  No excuse to lose that one.  Regardless of location.

We are the more talented and more experienced team in both games.

*-Minnesota shot 51.8 percent, the first opponent in 35 games to shoot above 50 percent against the Huskers. Nebraska was fourth nationally in field goal defense entering tonight’s game.
*-Amir Coffey’s 30-point effort was the most by a Husker opponent since Nate Mason had 34 in the previous meeting with Minnesota on Feb. 6, 2018
*-Brady Heiman’s nine points were his most since scoring a season-high 10 points against Southeastern Louisiana on Nov. 11.  
*-With his first assist tonight, Glynn Watson Jr. went over 300 assists in his career. He now has 303 in his career.
*-Isaiah Roby became the ninth Husker with 100 career blocked shots, as he had three tonight to match his season high. Roby also had a season-high 15 points. 

11 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I would certainly say we very much should win one of the next two but there is just no need to put artificial deadlines out there. You keep moving the goalposts are you telling me that we aren't good enough or that there aren't enough wins for us to make it if we drop a few. You can't use future games to determine how good a team is it just doesn't make sense. From what I've seen from the games that have actually happened is that we are good enough to compete like a top 25 or at least top 40 team. 

If you want to say that dropping the next two leaves us out of luck trying to find quality wins which did happen last year. I just used Kenpom to determine the types games we will be playing through the rest of our conference schedule. We will play 13 Q1 games 3 Q2 games and 3 Q3 games. That means we need to go 2 and 16 in the Q1 and Q2 games to match last year. Do we make the tournament in that scenario no way but we wouldn't be as far as you think.

7 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I would certainly say we very much should win one of the next two but there is just no need to put artificial deadlines out there. You keep moving the goalposts are you telling me that we aren't good enough or that there aren't enough wins for us to make it if we drop a few. You can't use future games to determine how good a team is it just doesn't make sense. From what I've seen from the games that have actually happened is that we are good enough to compete like a top 25 or at least top 40 team. 

If you want to say that dropping the next two leaves us out of luck trying to find quality wins which did happen last year. I just used Kenpom to determine the types games we will be playing through the rest of our conference schedule. We will play 13 Q1 games 3 Q2 games and 3 Q3 games. That means we need to go 2 and 16 in the Q1 and Q2 games to match last year. Do we make the tournament in that scenario no way but we wouldn't be as far as you think.

Good research and your probably right we will get more than 3 quality wins but we won’t end up playing 19 q1 and q2 teams because they will cannabilize each other.  In my mind if we don’t split the next two things could go sourer in a hurry but that’s why we have 3 veteran seniors to hopefully curtail that 

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Good research and your probably right we will get more than 3 quality wins but we won’t end up playing 19 q1 and q2 teams because they will cannabilize each other.  In my mind if we don’t split the next two things could go sourer in a hurry but that’s why we have 3 veteran seniors to hopefully curtail that 

Maybe we will fall apart but I'd like to what actually happens in those games before I make that assumption. And rpi which is how quadrants are formed promote a conference that beats itself up as long as it cleans up in the non-con. Teams rpi's should improve especially with our 20 game conference schedule as the year goes on. We could've played two more nobodies instead of two conference games this week. The committee would rather see what we did this week to beating two bad teams. It certainly helps our RPI.

Why are people all up in arms about 2019 games all of a sudden when just this morning people were focused on the Creighton game?

That game is here now. Let's go into Saturday, put a show on for Creighton, have them warm the bus up early, and send them packing so we can get our confidence back as a team and as a fanbase.

Even Michigan was 7-3 (1-1) on Dec. 4, 2017.

3 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

And rpi which is how quadrants are formed promote a conference that beats itself up as long as it cleans up in the non-con. Teams rpi's should improve especially with our 20 game conference schedule as the year goes on.

The RPI system is R.I.P. They did away with it after last season.

8 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

That's right, it's the NET that is used to determine quadrants now.

Well I’ll have to redo that quad study with Net Rating. Also I know I seem like a crazy optimist right now but I actually predicted we would lose this game. I still have little confidence we can win on the road.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

The whole part about not wanting to keep the coach that will have taken us to two of the only NCAA tournaments since 2000.  Then making it sound like we can hire the next Bill Self when Miles leaves and we’d be just fine.

If we set out to hire the next Bill Self and end up hiring the next Barry Collier, then the whole place should be burned to the ground.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Why are people all up in arms about 2019 games all of a sudden when just this morning people were focused on the Creighton game?

That game is here now. Let's go into Saturday, put a show on for Creighton, have them warm the bus up early, and send them packing so we can get our confidence back as a team and as a fanbase.

Even Michigan was 7-3 (1-1) on Dec. 4, 2017.

Yep. It's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season.

Look I know I’m not the majority here and I was reacting to the moment, but I still feel the same way about Miles I have for a long time.

When we made the tourney, we got hot for about 4 weeks. Otherwise that team had looked horrible at times (I watched some really bad hoops in Charleston that year). Kudos to him for turning us around. We followed that year with one of the most disappointing seasons in our hoops history and followed that up with two very sub-par years (under 0.500) to leave us with the worst 3 year stretch since the early 1950s. People make fun of how bad we’ve been over the years, but that is really saying something.

Miles knows he has to get things going this year. Next year is not exactly looking even remotely decent with the apparent roster we’ll have. No, a B1G road loss isn’t a huge deal overall but we need to keep working on the quality wins. Lose this Saturday, and that makes Miles 0-15 v McDermott in his career.

It’s more so the perpetual problems I see—Zero imagination on offense, mental breakdowns and scoreless stretches, glaring depth issues, difficulty breaking a press and running inbounds plays that give a chance for a score. These to me are not signs of a well-coached team.

So Saturday is big ... real big mentally imho ... could set the tone for the rest of the season ... or at least could bring that doubt into play for the rest of the season. That’s also why last night was big b/c of the effect it can have on us mentally leading to Saturday. So ALL that talk aside, Saturday is big.

GBR

I am sorry, and I am not going to look up the stats or if anyone has said this already, but COFFEY HAD 17 FREE THROW ATTEMPTS. That is not normal. He made 15 of them. No one should get to the line like that. We are a way better team than Minnesota. I'm pissed off. Refs played to the crowd all night. 

Edited by BmoreRed

26 minutes ago, BmoreRed said:

I am sorry, and I am not going to look up the stats or if anyone has said this already, but COFFEY HAD 17 FREE THROW ATTEMPTS. That is not normal. He made 15 of them. No one should get to the line like that.

Palmer had 18 vs Seton Hall but yeah it wasn't great out there last night

7 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If we set out to hire the next Bill Self and end up hiring the next Barry Collier, then the whole place should be burned to the ground.

It is going to be interesting...as I said in another post Moos seems to have little interest in anything not football related outside of stating an expectation or telling a national championship volleyball coach how great they did.  Is he going to be able to hire a basketball coach if the season necessitated or will he have  Marc Bohem do the job....or hell will we go through the same thing the football program went through and be looking for a new AD (as someone on the board hinted at) followed by a new basketball coach? Outside of football I have little faith in an AD that seems to take very little interest in other sports outside of hiring and firing of coaches. 

3 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

It is going to be interesting...as I said in another post Moos seems to have little interest in anything not football related outside of stating an expectation or telling a national championship volleyball coach how great they did.  Is he going to be able to hire a basketball coach if the season necessitated or will he have  Marc Bohem do the job....or hell will we go through the same thing the football program went through and be looking for a new AD (as someone on the board hinted at) followed by a new basketball coach? Outside of football I have little faith in an AD that seems to take very little interest in other sports outside of hiring and firing of coaches. 

I don’t think this is the case. I think Miles has Moos’s full attention this year. As in...Moos is watching very closely.

If Moos did not care he would have just locked up Miles last offseason and been done with it. He didn’t, and just about everybody feels Miles is coaching for his job. 

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don’t think this is the case. I think Miles has Moos’s full attention this year. As in...Moos is watching very closely.

If Moos did not care he would have just locked up Miles last offseason and been done with it. He didn’t, and just about everybody feels Miles is coaching for his job. 

Whoever the AD is, they are the boogeyman on this board. I stopped trying to understand it.