uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 9 - @ Minnesota

uneblinstu

Tough loss. I don't think that's the end of the world, but some problems from last year reared their heads again. 

Going long stretches without a FG. Or a solid look. 

The 1-3-1 seemed to work to end the half, I don't know why we didn't go back to it to close the game. 

That was a big boy game for Amir Coffey. Which killed us. And effected JPJ on the offensive end. 

Brady REALLY impressed me. Very active and kept the ball high. 

We need to come out Saturday, punch Creighton in the mouth and show that they are learning from mistakes. 

These next two are going to be huge for us resume and confidence wise. 

This loss is discouraging on so many levels. I was hoping this year would be different. That this team-led by seniors-would put lesser teams away and be poised enough to handle a double-digit second half lead against such a lesser team. Instead, tonight felt all too familiar-scoring droughts; questionable coaching decisions; and allowing controversial moments to irreversibly turn the tide of the game. I really hope tonight was an anomaly (and that my discouragement is just a typical fan overreaction) ... I guess we’ll find out Saturday.

Just now, Husker4theSpurs said:

Just the part where I said I hope Miles leaves regardless? Counter anything else I said ...

I'm luke warm on Miles but the no matter what happens line is a little much. Like if we win 14 conf games and make the sweet 16, we should move on? This season will be graded as a whole. You have a point in the sense that there has been concerning trends under Miles - I understand frustration at this point.

I wanted to see some 1-3-1 tonight at about the 8:00 minute mark but I am not the coach.  I see the board has decided he can’t coach again tonight.  

We peed it down our leg tonight.  This will flip our Kenpom prediction to 20-11 which would likely put us in an NCAA game we are favored in. It is going to be a grind, rollercoaster see-saw of emotions. (and all those analogies you can think of). 

I thought Heimann was a bright spot tonight.  Thomas Allen as well, although we needed the front end of the one and one.  I agree with the post that said Saturday is a big game for the psyche. 

This probably won't be the last one we don't close on the road.  You have to hope this team can learn from it and not let games like this beat us twice.

We're a team that projects to lose 10 games and still make the tourney with a decent seed so this season should be a rollercoaster.  Make sure to enjoy the ups when the happen because the downs will be big.

11 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

When things get tight we go to that hero ball crap. Our next coach needs to know how to actually coach. Transition defense down the stretch was really poor ... no stepping up to slow/stop the ball. We don't have anyone to challenge around the rim and that hurts us ... especially when our "bigs" are in foul trouble. Not the end of the world, but this feels frustratingly familiar under Coach Miles. No matter what happens this year, I'm ready for a change. If we make the tourney, I hope he takes a lateral-ish move.

I will admit that I am close to a Miles apologist.  There are certain things here I agree with.  Yes, our transition defense was atrocious all night and yes, I don't think we challenged at the rim like we could have.  It would have been nice if someone was willing to take a charge tonight.  I can understand the frustration with Miles.  I would have loved us to use a timeout or two to settle the guys down at any point from the six minute to three or four minute mark.  Palmer didn't bring it tonight, that's not all on Miles.  He is a senior.  However, I don't get why Miles didn't help Palmer.  Switch defenses, bring him help when Coffey catches the ball.  Do something!  Doing nothing and expecting a different result saddled us with a loss.  I put that on Miles but I certainly won't bail on him or the team .  There is a lot of basketball left in the year and better days are ahead, specifically on Saturday.  Let's shelve the fire Miles talk and support the team!

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The whole part about not wanting to keep the coach that will have taken us to two of the only NCAA tournaments since 2000.  Then making it sound like we can hire the next Bill Self when Miles leaves and we’d be just fine.

Let's wait and see if they make that second dance.

17 minutes ago, nustudent said:

2.  That being said, they are not good.  They are a bottom 4 Big 10 team.   

5.  Creighton is a must win.   Resume wise, we certainly have time to recover if we'd lose.  I'm more concerned about psyche

Definitely not how I see it. Where are you getting that Minn is a bottom four team in the B1G. They’ve beaten Utah, Texas AM, and Oklahoma State. They obviously have plenty of talent. 

I also just don’t understand this must win game talk our season is going just fine teams do lose 2 in a row and manage to not become a forever lost cause mentally. 

Going into this game, I wasn't expecting to win so I would have considered this icing on the cake. However, since we had a double digit lead on several occasions and lead for 37 minutes, it's kind of tough to take. Roby missing a chippy after a nice take and T Allen missing the front end which would have kept it a two possession lead were big plays. JPJ was not himself this evening, on both the offensive and defensive ends. Cope did not get enough touches in the last 5 minutes and we were horrible stopping dribble penetration. Offense stalled too much down the stretch. We looked very good for 35 minutes, but it's little consolation because we were so out of sorts in crunch time. A win Saturday would go a long way to ease the pain of this one. 

Just now, cjbowbros said:

Definitely not how I see it. Where are you getting that Minn is a bottom four team in the B1G. They’ve beaten Utah, Texas AM, and Oklahoma State. They obviously have plenty of talent. 

I also just don’t understand this must win game talk our season is going just fine teams do lose 2 in a row and manage to not become a forever lost cause mentally. 

Minnesota will be in the bottom half of the Big ten. If they are not then we are going to be in the bottom half of the big ten. 

If we dont atleast split the next two which at worst we should be able to do we are gonna end up in the same boat as last year as far as significant wins. 

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Minnesota will be in the bottom half of the Big ten. If they are not then we are going to be in the bottom half of the big ten. 

If we dont atleast split the next two which at worst we should be able to do we are gonna end up in the same boat as last year as far as significant wins. 

Bottom half is probably accurate but bottom 4.  I don't think so.  They have Curry coming back in a couple weeks also

3 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

There are currently 9 of 14 Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 25. Sure, that will change over time, but this is not the same conference as last season. We'll have plenty of "significant win" opportunities.

But yes, we probably should at least split the next two games if we don't want to make our lives difficult in 2019.

4 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Thing about it is that they are projecting a team or two in the “bottom half” to get in.  We still have everything we want in front of us.

29 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I’ll say this this game was one of the best offensive games I’ve seen a husker team have. Palmer lost us the game on both ends and Miles aided in that by not doing anything to change it. 

But Palmer won us the Clemson game so 1-1 I guess.

Definitely was the best offensive game we played but Palmer didn’t lose the game. He’s never been known for his defebse and for the most part has looked not engaged his whole career here which is fine because he gives us so much more in other areas.

just terrible coaching adjustments got us tonight and I honestly thought we were past those type of games.

whoever had said he/she was worried about the minutes our guys were playing showed tonight. When we built that 12-14 point lead in the second half our bigs were hedging hard on the pick and roll. They got tired which happens and Minnesota had a field day from there. Why we stuck to man to man really has me floored right now. They shot 8 total threes. And maybe 5 other jumpers. Then about 40 point blank shots

10 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

3 of those 4 teams arent very good this year.

Mich, Mich St, Purdue, Nebr, Ohio St, Indiana, Wisc, Iowa, Maryland are 9

Maybe bottom 5 instead of bottom 4.   But  I think PSU, NW and Minnesota are pretty comparable.

9 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

??? 

We has 3 significant wins last year we already have at least one and will get another 10+ shots at it after the next 2 games. I define significant as a Q1 or Q2 win same as the committee. Also bottom half is much different than bottom 4. The 8th best team in the big ten makes the tourney this year.

I seriously can’t believe I’m sitting here after controlling the game for 30+ minutes and we take one in the L column. Inexcusable loss. Yes there was terrible officiating but we should have been able to adjust when we couldn’t barely get into any set on offense to get anyone a decent look. I’m still baffled how this is going on. If you have to call a timeout to set something up, do it! I am a Miles supporter but man there are some head scratchers sometimes. We go one possession of the 1-3-1 in the first half and what happens? We force a turnover. Then we never see it again. Or maybe once but somebody correct me if I’m wrong there. Minnesota, a horrendous three point shooting team that went 0-13 against OSU, has a guy that is absolutely killing us going to the rack, and we can’t at least flash a zone for another possession or two to at least throw them off a bit? Got out coached by Howard Wolowitz and it is inexcusable. We better be ready to play on Saturday and have some kind of game plan to get some flow if things aren’t going our way offensively or we’ll be in big trouble again. This looked like the nebrasketball of old and I hate to say that because I thought we were past that. Strap it up as Saturday is a very important one.

I was getting ready to say how great it was to be able to win a game like this where JPJ was not going well and got production from the bench and other guys stepping up. That is not all lost but gotta find a way to close out a team on the road. Can’t let them have any hope. We seemed like we were playing not to lose those final five minutes and most of the time, that never works out. Go Big Red. Pack the damn vault Saturday as we need this one more than ever!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk