uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 9 - @ Minnesota

uneblinstu

Minnesota 85 - #24 Nebraska 78

Huskers can't hold big 2nd half lead

Dts0SQ9UwAIU36B.jpg

I only got to see the second half of the second half. I'll go back and watch the rest of it shortly. Maybe. Probably not.

From the sounds of it, Roby, Copeland and Allen all had good games and Roby had a monster dunk or two.

- Brady's gonna need to learn how to make a free throw. Was he good at it in high school? (I'm told he wasn't...)

- We got a glimpse of Nana and Allen on the floor together. I'd like to see more of that. Nana hit a 3 on the possession I saw. There may have been more of it in the parts of the game I wasn't able to see.

- Brady's a really good rebounder.

- Untimely time for a scoring drought. Minnesota closes it to 3 on a tough 3 from McBrayer.

- Things really went downhill from there...

- The questionable T, the missed goaltend and bogus charge call on Palmer and two steals they couldn't control that led to Minnesota lay-ins. That's all in the last 10 minutes of the game. That's at least 8 points that shouldn't have gone Minnesota's way.

- They'll learn from this. But this is a bitter pill to swallow. Tough, tough loss.

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu

Poor coaching in the sense that it was very clear Palmer could not stop Coffey, and yet he continued to guard him get beat and causes others to get cheap fouls.

Copeland disappeared down the stretch.

Started missing FT down the stretch

Palmer shooting 3-14 is not going end well most nights.

Twice we had Brady on the pick and roll and threw the ball at his feet.

The iffy T and missed goal tending were killers

these bogus charge calls on Palmer are getting old!!!

man it pisses me off!!!  takes him completely out of his game, I don't think any have been the correct call either..

Frustrating loss, this one will sting for awhile that's for sure.

I'm not sure what happened to our defense but we had no answer for Coffey..

No 1-3-1 in the second half?  I thought we rolled that out to protect some of our guys in foul trouble.  I wonder if that will be asked in the post game. 

Palmer had no business guarding Coffey.  A step, or two, slow all night on the kid.  I guess I'm not sure who he would have switched with though.

Long season, lets get'em on Saturday.  BIG is going to be a grinder this year.

Love miles, love this team, this loss doesn’t kill us but we got miles”ed tonight. 

Real easy adjustment that woulda won this game is throwing out some more zone. 

Got screwed by the stripes tonight but we should be getting used to that. 

Better get over this loss in a hurry or Saturday will be hard to stomach.

1 minute ago, Huskerone said:

No 1-3-1 in the second half?  I thought we rolled that out to protect some of our guys in foul trouble.  I wonder if that will be asked in the post game. 

X10

Needed it when they started sniffing a run. Was yelling at my TV the whole time. 

That was really depressing - primarily in the fact that we had the game won and just pissed it away.

My two overriding comments are that we tried to take the air out of the ball WAY too early.     Was driving me crazy to have us walking the ball up the floor with 10 minutes left.  We play much better when we are trying to force the action.  Also is always a killer for us to just cross half court before the shot clock hits 20.  Our half court offense is not good enough to try to be consistent scoring when the other team only has to play defense for 20 seconds.

Second - Palmer needs to learn that he has to show up every night.  Difference between him and Coffey tonight was one of them showed up and played hard and the other was just going through the motions.  Unfortunately the one that played hard was not wearing red.  

Edited by HuskerBB

1 minute ago, Huskerone said:

Palmer had no business guarding Coffey.  A step, or two, slow all night on the kid.  I guess I'm not sure who he would have switched with though.

Long season, lets get'em on Saturday.  BIG is going to be a grinder this year.

Don’t put another guy on him. Go zone 

When things get tight we go to that hero ball crap. Our next coach needs to know how to actually coach. Transition defense down the stretch was really poor ... no stepping up to slow/stop the ball. We don't have anyone to challenge around the rim and that hurts us ... especially when our "bigs" are in foul trouble. Not the end of the world, but this feels frustratingly familiar under Coach Miles. No matter what happens this year, I'm ready for a change. If we make the tourney, I hope he takes a lateral-ish move.

1.  Minnesota is a much improved team.   They are not bad.

2.  That being said, they are not good.  They are a bottom 4 Big 10 team.   

3.  We are more talented and more experienced.

4.  We controlled the game and found ways to lose.   Inexcusable loss.    

5.  Creighton is a must win.   Resume wise, we certainly have time to recover if we'd lose.  I'm more concerned about psyche

1 minute ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

When things get tight we go to that hero ball crap. Our next coach needs to know how to actually coach. Transition defense down the stretch was really poor ... no stepping up to slow/stop the ball. We don't have anyone to challenge around the rim and that hurts us ... especially when our "bigs" are in foul trouble. Not the end of the world, but this feels frustratingly familiar under Coach Miles. No matter what happens this year, I'm ready for a change. If we make the tourney, I hope he takes a lateral-ish move.

Ridiculous take.

5 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

That was really depressing - primarily in the fact that we had the game won and just pissed it away.

My two overriding comments are that we tried to take the air out of the ball WAY too early.     Was driving me crazy to have us walking the ball up the floor with 10 minutes left.  We play much better when we are trying to force the action.  Also is always a killer for us to just cross half court before the shot clock hits 20.  Our half court offense is not good enough to try to be consistent scoring when the other team only has to play defense for 20 seconds.

Second - Palmer needs to learn that he has to show up every night.  Difference between him and Coffey tonight was one of them showed up and played hard and the other was just going through the motions.  Unfortunately the one that played hard was not wearing red.  

Palmer struggled tonight.  He is in a tough position when they call games like tonight.  His 2 charge calls were iffy at best.  After the 1st one, Murphy goes down, lowers his shoulder into Roby, and nothing is called.  

I bet we have to lead the nation in charges called against us, especially compared to the amount of blocks called on the other team.

Having said that, we have to play through that.  We seemed to stop running any offense down the stretch.  We didn't switch to zone on defense.

We need to hold serve at home and win a few road games.  It's going to be a grind.  Michigan survived Northwestern on the road, and Michigan was stomping everyone.  Of course, last year, we went to Minnesota, and had one of our worst defensive performances of the year.  We played very well on offense, and got the victory. 

This loss hurts because we should have won.