Urban is retiring

Huskerpapa

The formal announcement/news conference will take place at 1:00 today.  I could argue that he should have been forced to retire at the beginning of the season, but that is fodder for discussion on another day.  Hope that Urban can regain his health and that he enjoys his retirement.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I hope Ohio State football goes in the dumper and suffers a long string of 3-9 football seasons, never to recover to their former glory.

I get the point of the post. But if Ohio State is usually on the outside looking in for the playoffs, then we have a Big Ten problem. A drop in talent in the Big Ten likely only makes it worse.

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'd say so, too. He's retired twice, already.

I am not convinced he will coach again.  He just left the job of his dreams.  His tumor and resulting headaches and other medical ailments are real.  He came back to coach because he went through a medical procedure that was thought to correct the issue.  I guess time and circumstances could change and if that happens, his ego will lead him back to the coaching game.  Until then, ESPN is likely salivating at the opportunity to bring him back. 

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not convinced he will coach again.  He just left the job of his dreams.  His tumor and resulting headaches and other medical ailments are real.  He came back to coach because he went through a medical procedure that was thought to correct the issue.  I guess time and circumstances could change and if that happens, his ego will lead him back to the coaching game.  Until then, ESPN is likely salivating at the opportunity to bring him back. 

Hmmm.  Good analysis.

14 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't buy that Urban won't coach, in some form. We'll have to wait & see. And, I have my doubts he'll do ESPN again, he wasn't all that great at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out Urban has plans to stick around:

Urban Meyer to be an assistant AD at Ohio State after retirement from coaching

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-assistant-ad-ohio-state-retirement-coaching-025359699.html

"As part of his assistant AD duties Meyer will teach a class on character and leadership. He revealed that to a Cleveland TV station this week."

• 2 weeks later...