Scouting Minnesota

49r

I am a die hard Bulls fan and i will say the firing is a complete joke by the management and makes no sense. Hioberg was TBD on if he was gonna work out, but he finally had a young, athletic team with decent shooters that could play the style he wants. Then they got hit HARD by injuries.

Lauri Markkanen (1st All-Rookie last season) gets injured in the preseason. He just played his first game of the season on Saturday.

Denzel Valentine injures his ankle in the preseason. Who is a key bench piece that can defend multiple positions and shot 40% from three last year. He is now out for the season.

Kris Dunn and Bobby Portis (starting PG and F) get lost the same day, both with MCL sprains. Have yet to return.

Very, very few teams could win a lot of games without their starting PG and front court and a key bench piece. Makes no sense to fire him under those circumstances. I am no Fred Hoiberg fan either btw. Rant over.

Man... This game scares the living **** out of me right now!

1. Everyone is talking about Creighton like Minnesota is Little Sisters of the Poor or something.

2. They are now going to play more inspired for multiple reasons.  Nebraska overlooking them, revenge from last year and now playing for a deceased parent of a player on the team.

3. We are favored on the road will feel like a kick in the nuts to them.

Can't let them get it going from three. If they pound it inside and let Murphy get his, we'll have to deal with that. If he's kicking it back out off of the double team and they are nailing the three's, might be a long night. However, they did go 0-13 or something from three against OSU. I don't see that happening again, especially in the Barn. I'm hoping this will be a good kick start game for Roby to get it going. Not sure who will be guarding him but if it's Murphy, he needs to take it to the rim on him and get him to pick up some fouls. I hate this game too and am nervous for it. Hope we can take care of business and move on to the one everyone is thinking and talking about. 

Murphy and Coffee both are adept at drawing fouls, and two of our most foul-prone starters will likely be defending them.  If JPJ and Roby go to the bench early with a pair of fouls apiece we could easily find ourselves in a hole at halftime.  This to me is the biggest key to the game.  Stay out of foul trouble and we win; allow Murphy and Coffee to draw some cheap ones and we lose; put Murphy himself into foul trouble while keeping our guys on the floor and we win big.

12 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Man... This game scares the living **** out of me right now!

1. Everyone is talking about Creighton like Minnesota is Little Sisters of the Poor or something.

2. They are now going to play more inspired for multiple reasons.  Nebraska overlooking them, revenge from last year and now playing for a deceased parent of a player on the team.

3. We are favored on the road will feel like a kick in the nuts to them.

Some fans may be overlooking Minnesota, but I don't think the players are.  If we lose I doubt it will be because we overlooked them.  

12 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Murphy and Coffee both are adept at drawing fouls, and two of our most foul-prone starters will likely be defending them.  If JPJ and Roby go to the bench early with a pair of fouls apiece we could easily find ourselves in a hole at halftime.  This to me is the biggest key to the game.  Stay out of foul trouble and we win; allow Murphy and Coffee to draw some cheap ones and we lose; put Murphy himself into foul trouble while keeping our guys on the floor and we win big.

Palmer isn't one of the most foul prone starter we have...he just literally ran into issues in KC.

FC/40

Roby - 3.7

Watson - 2.9

Copeland - 1.6

Allen 1.1

Defending without putting guys on the line has been a real strength of this team thus far though every team has one of those nights where everyone is in foul trouble.

• 2 months later...