uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11, ed 8 - Illinois

uneblinstu

56 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Do you know why the "s's" are silent on locations such as Des Moines and/or Illinois?

Presumably because the French.

But that begs the question, why aren't the "s's" silent in Des Plaines?  Which, ironically, is in Illinois.

Edited by 49r

17 hours ago, HB said:

Don't worry, Norm.   Moos also played the "win 13 games in conference again card" .   As if the league isn't way better than last year.   Although I suppose the extra 2 games makes it more reasonable.    In any event, if he needs to qualify his support every time the subject comes up, maybe he should just keep his pie hole shut.   

There are a couple of things that Moos wants to see. Moos is very pleased with TM progress. 

18 hours ago, hskr4life said:

No public bad blood, but behind closed doors is another thing.  You’re not going to convince me that Miles was “OK” with how last years extension played out.  So I guess we’ll agree to disagree.

Can a person not be pleased with a something their  boss wants to do (be "OK" with it), while still not having any bad blood between the two parties? 

11 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Can a person not be pleased with a something their  boss wants to do (be "OK" with it), while still not having any bad blood between the two parties? 

That's an interesting question.  I can only speak for me personally because it's tough to gauge everyone's intrinsic values.  However, there have been plenty of times that I have not been pleased with someone.  I don't agree with what happened.  It doesn't show in public and I don't treat them any differently in public.  However, inside, I know what happened and the fact that I am not pleased means there is bad blood.  I will always have that intrinsic feel of "anger" or "sentiment" toward this person and that will lead to what I feel would be bad blood intrinsically.

Just my two cents and I could see how you could think otherwise.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

That's an interesting question.  I can only speak for me personally because it's tough to gauge everyone's intrinsic values.  However, there have been plenty of times that I have not been pleased with someone.  I don't agree with what happened.  It doesn't show in public and I don't treat them any differently in public.  However, inside, I know what happened and the fact that I am not pleased means there is bad blood.  I will always have that intrinsic feel of "anger" or "sentiment" toward this person and that will lead to what I feel would be bad blood intrinsically.

Just my two cents and I could see how you could think otherwise.

I agree.

Just now, Dean Smith said:

I understand your statements but that doesn't change the fact that there were a couple of things I wanted to see from Moos. I am very displeased with Moos progress.

As is your prerogative. I, however; have been pleasantly surprised by Moos and by what he has been able to accomplish. He probably could have done things differently with TM, but I think Moos was in no win situation. Sign TM to a longer contract would not have been viewed favorably by a large section of the fan base, and remember at this point neither Copeland nor Palmer had made their decision to stay for their senior season. I think most here are looking at this with perfect 20/20 hindsight, along with, and this needs to be said, there may be some internal bias against Moos (elephant in the room) in some of the opinions I'm seeing here and elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

As is your prerogative. I, however; have been pleasantly surprised by Moos and by what he has been able to accomplish. He probably could have done things differently with TM, but I think Moos was in no win situation. Sign TM to a longer contract would not have been viewed favorably by a large section of the fan base, and remember at this point neither Copeland nor Palmer had made their decision to stay for their senior season. I think most here are looking at this with perfect 20/20 hindsight, along with, and this needs to be said, there may be some internal bias against Moos (elephant in the room) in some of the opinions I'm seeing here and elsewhere.

Or people could examine his actions, evaluate the evidence, view the results and come to an unbiased opinion that is completely contrary to yours. The question of, "Has Moos done a good job?" is subjective with no real right answer at this time. We differ in our analyses of the situation. And I'm not bright enough to get the "elephant in the room" comment. By internal bias do you mean we are naturally prejudiced against a name that sounds like cows? I knew nothing of the man before he was hired and so was unable to prejudge him or hold a bias. 

8 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Or people could examine his actions, evaluate the evidence, view the results and come to an unbiased opinion that is completely contrary to yours. The question of, "Has Moos done a good job?" is subjective with no real right answer at this time.

Wait what? An unbiased subjective opinion?

8 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

We differ in our analyses of the situation. And I'm not bright enough to get the "elephant in the room" comment. By internal bias do you mean we are naturally prejudiced against a name that sounds like cows? I knew nothing of the man before he was hired and so was unable to prejudge him or hold a bias. 

So then you are happy with how he has rescued our athletic program from the disaster that was Eichorst? You just don't like how he has handled Miles? Is that correct?

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Wait what? An unbiased subjective opinion?

So then you are happy with how he has rescued our athletic program from the disaster that was Eichorst? You just don't like how he has handled Miles? Is that correct?

Subjective means there is personal judgment involved. People can come to opinions weighing all the facts and be unbiased. That's supposed to be how our jury system works. They are to supposed to arrive with an objective mindset and then weigh the evidence and come to their subjective opinion. Because of the subjective nature we usually require unamous verdicts. 

I don't see him as rescuing our athletic program. No matter who the new AD was there was only one right choice for football coach and taking Frost's enthusiasm for the job, it would have been hard for him to mess that up. Though it seems he almost did with a clandestine meeting in Philadelphia. The department was a mess before he arrived and he made positive organizational changes. I weigh what he has done, factored in the things that probably would have happened whether he was the AD or anyone else, then look at how he has treated the basketball program and when I add that all up it comes out to a negative overall grade from me. I can respect that others can come to a different conclusion.

Edited by Dean Smith

34 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

By internal bias do you mean we are naturally prejudiced against a name that sounds like cows?

I'm not sure about this "we" stuff.  I'm naturally prejudiced for a name that sounds like cows. Their offspring are very tasty!  If his last name sounded like tofu, I'd hate the SOB.

34 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

No matter who the new AD was there was only one right choice for football coach and taking Frost's enthusiasm for the job, it would have been hard for him to mess that up.

Though it seems he almost did with a clandestine meeting in Philadelphia. The department was a mess before he arrived and he made positive organizational changes. I weigh what he has done, factored in the things that probably would have happened whether he was the AD or anyone else, then look at how he has treated the basketball program and when I add that all up it comes out to a negative overall grade from me. I can respect that others can come to a different conclusion.

The assumption being that any other AD would have made the same decisions that you view as obvious and right. Steve Pedersen and Sean Eichorst being recent examples?

Like I said I was not in favor of him getting the job and wasn't hopeful for his leadership. I have been very pleased with the job he has done thus far. 

14 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

The assumption being that any other AD would have made the same decisions that you view as obvious and right. Steve Pedersen and Sean Eichorst being recent examples?

Like I said I was not in favor of him getting the job and wasn't hopeful for his leadership. I have been very pleased with the job he has done thus far. 

I don’t agree with your Pedersen and Eichorst ananagy. If we could have replaced either one of those horrible AD’s with a different horrible AD that would have made the same decisions that either one of those two horrible AD’s made and then hired either one of those two that we replaced in the timeline at the time we hired Moos, I believe with the current history and facts at hand, both of those two would have also hired Scott Frost and then would go on to make different horrible decisions.

Now that is a completely subjective opinion arrived at by quality circular logic but until you can get one of the two on record saying they would not have hired Frost, I stand by it. 

Edited by Dean Smith