CREIGHTON GAME

redsteve

4 hours ago, HUD said:

Coach Williams didn't even go into the locker room until 15 minutes after the game.  Didn't ever show up for the post game interview.  Must really be pissed.  Just got beat by nine by an average team who was missing 3 starters.  Some thing wrong with our team.  All upperclassmen except for Nicea playing poorly.  Seems to be a real lack of  leadership there as well.  Simon very very inconsistent but she has always had that problem.  Taylor playing a notch below where she was.  The biggest puzzle to me is what's up with Hannah who was a preseason 1st team all Big Ten.   

Good post.  Hopefully this is the low and we start the climb up.  Seems like we have some good young players and some good ones coming in.   For the life of me I can't figure out how the expectations for Hannah got so out of whack.  Got everything out if her ability last year but should in no way be in the discussion as a first team all Big player.  Not her fault that type of pressure got going.  

Hannah averaged 12.6 ppg and almost 5 assists a gm last year. She had a great season.  She is a very good player.  Taylor is getting way less attempts per gm this year.   Neither she or Hannah are going to generate a lot of shots for themselves and unfortunately I think the ball is sticking on offense right now.  Specially we r taking too many bad shots and even when we do pass it it is just late enough they aren’t open to shoot anymore.   That was part of my concern when I posted the other day we need some role players.  Everybody is trying to score their way into more minutes and the result is less good looks for the kids that are our proven shooters.   Look at shot attempts per minute played and it shows what I am talking about. 

Edited by kansashusker

32 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Hannah averaged 12.6 ppg and almost 5 assists a gm last year. She had a great season.  She is a very good player.  Taylor is getting way less attempts per gm this year.   Neither she or Hannah are going to generate a lot of shots for themselves and unfortunately I think the ball is sticking on offense right now.  Specially we r taking too many bad shots and even when we do pass it it is just late enough they aren’t open to shoot anymore.   That was part of my concern when I posted the other day we need some role players.  Everybody is trying to score their way into more minutes and the result is less good looks for the kids that are our proven shooters.   Look at shot attempts per minute played and it shows what I am talking about. 

Agree with all of this.   Hannah is a very nice player but not first team all Big 10 caliber in my opinion.  That's a different level.  Hopefully coach will get the roles defined and accepted.  That's what three-quarters of a million dollars is supposed to do.  Easier said than done and some years it doesn't happen.  I'm still optimistic they'll start playing better.  

Hanna.....It's happened many times when a player (any sport)...start reading their press clippings too much, and losses a little focus....losses track of what got all the accolades. 

And...at the same time other teams are focusing their defenses to stop Hannah, Kate, and Taylor. They aren't getting many open shots. And....the way we run our offense, we don't try to get a shooter open (Like we did a few years ago...with Romero...set up to get open for quick shot))

Just guessing...but there had to be tremendous competition last fall from the young young ones. May have up set the "chemistry" apple cart somewhat. Older players felt threatened by their competition.

The teams chemistry/ makeup has changed and we haven't adjusted to it yet.

And as mentioned several times.....losing key defensive players to graduation.

As  far as the Creighton game....still have the felling the refs affected our "comfort zone" ...the foul calling was weird. We had 3 starters 4 fouls each...almost foul out...16 fouls by the starters. (Whens the last time you saw that)  And none played the full 40  min.  Coach kept substituting..     .......It changes the mind set...like skating on ice. 

Cain was just getting hammered inside. How many fouls were called against her defenders?

Another guess....crystal ball stuff....guesses are free ....could see a change in starters ?  Lots of turnovers by starters really can't be accepted. Turnovers hurt us a lot. ..and have for two years.

There's lots of stuff to think about. Many problems. The kids and coaches have tons of work to do.

Edited by redsteve

One other thing really noticed looking at the stats.....

Lack of assists.

Real apparent we're  kind of in panic mode....don't want to pass the ball and/or find open players. Shoot, shoot, shoot and hope it goes in. Not so sure  it's being selfish, rather panic, and not wanting to loose the game....because we're always behind.

And maybe we're still not comfortable with knowing what the other girl will do.

Creighton played as a team better than us...more assists, looking for open teammates. Been kind of a common theme this year.

Ok, enough about Creighton...on to the next one.

Edited by redsteve

As reflected by others, the team has too many turnovers by seasoned players and more than opposing teams which was same as last year as well as behind in steals versus competition.  Offense appears disjointed to get open for good shots.  Too much standing around.  Y-ball mentality on playing time for all of the roster is not helping.  Haiby is a good add.  Too many players trying to shoot 3's with last 3 players in playing time 3-15 on 3's year to date.  Not really fun to watch!  I quit watching the Creighton game half way through as really hate losing to Creighton! Need better defense as well  as maybe try to runs some traps at times to get some turnovers.  Need to get their act together fast or can forget about post tournament play!

Offensive output woes do not really bother me.   Creighton hanging 74 is scary.   3 starters down, they should be lucky to hang 40.  Our team defense is sad.  Also the energy really problematic.  We need to match the other teams energy level.  Right now they'd struggle matching that of a morgue.  Also this team needs some serious conditioning.  At least enough to play a minute out of 10 hard.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:18 PM, Red Don said:

Thanks, @Bugeaters1

I was looking at Sagarin, but it has not updated since the end of last season (4-2-18).  :Redface:

http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

just a little info on Sagarin/CBN rpi ratings---i shot them off a message asking if they would be continuing the ratings for thew bb 2018-19 season. they informed me that the ratings for the women would no longer be available. 

here's another site to check out if it interests anyone: warrennolan.com has rpi ratings for both men and women

Edited by whoopdeedoo

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, whoopdeedoo said:

just a little info on Sagarin/CBN rpi ratings---i shot them off a message asking if they would be continuing the ratings for thew bb 2018-19 season. they informed me that the ratings for the women would no longer be available. 

here's another site to check out if it interests anyone: warrennolan.com has rpi ratings for both men and women

Thanks for the information Whoop!   Interesting why Sagarin would discontinue the WBB ratings.  :(

BTW, Here is the Official Box Score for the Creighton Game:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211782528

image.pngimage.png

Edited by Red Don