Pavelkatron 1000

hhcmatt

Two big thumbs up today ?? - first for Kent on broadcasting his 1,000 game.  I've been listening to you all these years, friend, and you've made it an enjoyable ride.

And for Chris Heady, the OWH sportswriter who has big shoes to fill replacing Lee Barfknecht the program beat writer.  It's hard to come up with stories a 48-year fan of the program doesn't already know, but you did so by sharing Kent's formative years in today's article.  Great job!

Kent mentioned during his speech about being on the outs at Nebraska until Marc Boehm called him up at the start of the Doc Sadler era.  TBH as a college kid during the late 90s who went to a lot of the games and then didn't pay much attention during most of the Barry Collier era I wasn't really aware that Kent was gone nor did I have any idea who replaced him.  I also didn't realized that his last call for what would be a decade was that NIT championship.

https://journalstar.com/sports/football/college/pavelka-to-be-radio-voice-of-nu-men-s-basketball/article_69cffb93-2cfb-519a-a510-cd33bc157bfa.html

Congrats, @Kent Pavelka .  It's an honor having you join us from time to time to share our mutual passion for Nebraska basketball.

I was around for that 10-year banishment you spoke about.  I was pissed about it.

Rather than caring about what fans wanted, the "Powers that be" decided what we needed was some passive, neutral, non-homer to be broadcasting our games.

I say bullshit.  I want a fan of the team I cheer for calling the games.  I want a broadcaster who gets excited when one of our guys hits a dagger three and yells out "BANGARANG!!!"

I'm sure Randy whatever-his-name-was was a nice guy, but he was never Kent Pavelka.  Very glad Marc Boehm placed that phone call all those years ago.

Edited by Norm Peterson

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Kent mentioned during his speech about being on the outs at Nebraska until Marc Boehm called him up at the start of the Doc Sadler era.  TBH as a college kid during the late 90s who went to a lot of the games and then didn't pay much attention during most of the Barry Collier era I wasn't really aware that Kent was gone nor did I have any idea who replaced him.  I also didn't realized that his last call for what would be a decade was that NIT championship.

https://journalstar.com/sports/football/college/pavelka-to-be-radio-voice-of-nu-men-s-basketball/article_69cffb93-2cfb-519a-a510-cd33bc157bfa.html

Randy Lee replaced him.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Congrats, @Kent Pavelka .  It's an honor having you join us from time to time to share our mutual passion for Nebraska basketball.

I was around for that 10-year banishment you spoke about.  I was pissed about it.

Rather than caring about what fans wanted, the "Powers that be" decided what we needed was some passive, neutral, non-homer to be broadcasting our games.

I say bullshit.  I want a fan of the team I cheer for calling the games.  I want a broadcaster who gets excited when one of our guys hits a dagger three and yells out "BANGARANG!!!"

I'm sure Randy whatever-his-name-was was a nice guy, but he was never Kent Pavelka.  Very glad Marc Boehm placed that phone call all those years ago.

Lee was the guys last name.

http://wkusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=45

Edited by Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Randy Lee replaced him.

It looks like Warren Swain replaced him and he was replaced by Randy Lee.

I don't know who had the rights to Husker coverage prior to 96 but it seems like when Pinnacle formed and obtained the coverage they cut Kent to cut costs and Kent was hired back right after Pinnacle sold out to Host. (Host would later be purchased by IMG and that's who Nebraska signed with back in 2008 for 13 years)

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't know who had the rights to Husker coverage prior to 96 but it seems like when Pinnacle formed and obtained the coverage they cut Kent to cut costs and Kent was hired back right after Pinnacle sold out to Host. (Host would later be purchased by IMG and that's who Nebraska signed with back in 2008 for 13 years)

Warren Swain was just the PBP guy for football. looks like my memory was wrong. Jim Rose did football after Swain quit. https://columbustelegram.com/swain-to-leave-nebraska-broadcast-booth/article_4c4fc764-767f-5043-947f-ff5d832ba474.html

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

It was...and had been for a long LONG time...KFAB who had the exclusive radio rights to Husker sports broadcasts.  Kent was on air talent with Gary Sadlemeyer (IIRC, they did the morning drive time together, but I could be wrong) and they worked as a team on Husker football and Basketball games as well.

When the university put the contract up for bid I believe there was a fairly strong push by Pinnacle (who were getting into the sports broadcast game at the time) to separate completely from the way things had always been done.  They hired new PBP talent and started the Nebraska Sports Nightly show.  People were divided because they of course loved Kent and the TD TD TD call...but on the other hand Pinnacle paid a king's ransom to the U for the rights along with the nightly call in show which was nice to have.

Ultimately, IMG gained control and brought some sanity back to things.  But now, for better or worse, it's nothing like the old days.

Warren Swain doing basketball should have been called Snorin' Wayne. Ugh.

The Nebraska Sports Nightly show started out as "Mid-America Sports Nightly" on KLIN in Lincoln.

The original guys, I believe, were Pat Combs, John Baylor, Gary Sharp, and Jim Rose.

Talk about a stable of talent at a single small-market radio station.

By the by, Combs and Baylor went to their own local news/issues show, "To the Point with Combs and Baylor."  Rose left for greener pastures in Kansas City or something.  And Sharp took over Sports Nightly.

And it was a great show.  They talked about Huskers and major league baseball and the NFL and any other sport issue you wanted to hear about.

And then Pinnacle or whoever came along and wanted to turn it into a Huskers-only program.  And they decided to shit-can Gary Sharp.  And they turned Sports Nightly into a nightly snooze fest.

I was sooooo pissed.  Sports Nightly was such a great show and Gary Sharp was such a great host.  

And they replaced him with Snorin' Wayne or whoever, and a young, inexperienced Matt Davison for a time.  And just rotated whatever clown they could find to come in and do the program.  Because none of them were very good at it.

And it sucked out loud.

Gary Sharp did a great job of coming up with content to get people calling in and talking when he did the show.  His replacements were unimaginative dullards.  How many shows can you get away with interviewing the broadcast play-by-play guy for one of our conference rivals?  I don't care what that guy thinks or what his life story is.  

So I just stopped listening. And I've never gone back.  I only tune in for games, and that's basically it.