Jump to content
PimpMario

Creighton 2018-19, The Thread

Recommended Posts

I don't want to overhype this game, but to me it will be one of the pivotal games in Nebraska basketball history. It is a home game in a new arena where we have had a huge advantage, pundits expect us to win, Creighton has had our number for a decade, and Miles needs to get the McDermott specter off his back. Everything points to a victory. Nevertheless I am apprehensive. If we lose this game, the optimistic outlook engendered so far this year will vanish like tears in the rain, Moos and Timmy critics will have a rationale to dump our coach at year's end, and even the atmosphere on HHC will turn toxic. There, so I've said it. No pressure on the guys tomorrow. Right? I trust those who attend will be loud tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If you like computers...and we should since the NCAA will rely heavy on them....this is one of our easiest remaining games.  So, we need to win. 

 

Kenpom has it tied for 8th easiest with Maryland at home (out of 22)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

 

T-Rank has us favored by 8 which is the same as our Okie Lite game.  Only Fullerton and Penn St(home) are less likely to beat us per his rankings. 

 

The vegas line will be interesting.  I'm guessing NU -6 or -7. 

 

yeah barttovik really likes us. Doesn't have that SW Minny St game.  I was thinking -5 or -6 so that sounds about right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

In our two losses, our biggest downfall has been our D.  It’s the one thing that’ll travel and always be there when you need it.  We can score with most anyone this year.  We need the D to show up every game however.

 

Defense played well enough against Tech.  Our offense was putrid. 

 

With that said, Creighton is not a good defensive team but for whatever reason we always shoot poorly against them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:33 AM, hhcmatt said:

If you think you feel like crap after this Minnesota game think about what it might feel like during the week off if we lose to these guys should you find yourself sitting quietly in your seats on Saturday.

 

:Hooray:PACK 'THE VAULT' :Pirate: AND GET 'ROWDY'!!!!! :Pirate: BEAT CREIGHTON!!!!! :Hooray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jdw said:

the only real estate Cretin ha is what they have to give players to go there. 

 

Fair. How much do you think McDermott was paying players at Wayne State when he beat Miles and SW Minnesota State 7 times back in the day? I’m sure someone has a source. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I don't want to overhype this game, but to me it will be one of the pivotal games in Nebraska basketball history. It is a home game in a new arena where we have had a huge advantage, pundits expect us to win, Creighton has had our number for a decade, and Miles needs to get the McDermott specter off his back. Everything points to a victory. Nevertheless I am apprehensive. If we lose this game, the optimistic outlook engendered so far this year will vanish like tears in the rain, Moos and Timmy critics will have a rationale to dump our coach at year's end, and even the atmosphere on HHC will turn toxic. There, so I've said it. No pressure on the guys tomorrow. Right? I trust those who attend will be loud tomorrow. 

giphy.gif

Edited by jayschool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

Fair. How much do you think McDermott was paying players at Wayne State when he beat Miles and SW Minnesota State 7 times back in the day? I’m sure someone has a source. 

Welcome to NE basketball board. This slam would probably be well-received over at the Creighton board. Do they have one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I think if you are a 'McDermott lives in Miles head' guy this video brings home that point.

I also think that with all the turnover at Creighton it would seem that this game means more to our team now than it does for the Jays and we'll see if that is an advantage.

Win or lose it's like we're simulating the finality of a NCAA tourney game so let's see what this group is made of at this point in the season 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier in this thread, some of the posters wrote that they don't understand how NU football fans can root for CU basketball and not for NU basketball.  I'll share my story to try to demonstrate how that happens.  The short answer it that it happens slowly over time.  I am a small town Nebraska kid.  Born and raised in small towns in Nebraska.  My father lived and died with the NU football team and I naturally became a big NU football fan.  During basketball season, my dad watched both NU and CU when they were on tv, so I did also.  He supported both teams, and so did I.  I also have a grandfather, aunt and uncle who were CU alums, so that added more reason to also like CU.  I am a big basketball fan.  I love it and definitely like it more than football.  So, I watch as much basketball as possible and it is more fun to watch local teams.

 

I then went to Creighton for undergraduate and grad school.  Since I am a big basketball fan, I naturally went to as many of the CU basketball games as I could.  I have been going to the CU games since the '80s.  During this time, I continued as a fan of NU basketball also.  The only time I didn't root for NU basketball was when they played Creighton.  My dad drove to Omaha to go to CU games and because he loves his kid he also roots for CU in that one game a year.  

 

I did and still follow NU basketball, but over time it has become harder and harder to root for NU basketball.  I really didn't understand all the mid-major bashing when CU was in the Missouri Valley.  Why can't Nebraskans support all the teams located in Nebraska?  I admit that it is my fault that I listened to sports radio and read this fan message board.  That certainly doesn't help keep support for NU basketball.  I hear and read stupid things from NU fans.  Yes, I also hear and read stupid things from CU fans but it really starts to wear on me when I read so many sweater vest jabs and so many posts that think it is funny to misspell Creighton.  I know many many CU fans that never bag on NU fans about Omaha vs Lincoln, quality of education, etc. that I see griped about on this board.  That is not the majority of CU fans.  The hardest part to stomach is people bashing on Omaha people and CU alums for supporting more than one school.  Why?  Supporting each other seems like the mature and generous thing to do.  So I keep trying.  

 

I am sure there are many rude Creighton fans out there because that is true of every fan base, but that is not what I am addressing in this post.  I am just answering the questions posted earlier in this post about why NU football fans are not also NU basketball fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BBFan said:

Earlier in this thread, some of the posters wrote that they don't understand how NU football fans can root for CU basketball and not for NU basketball.  I'll share my story to try to demonstrate how that happens.  The short answer it that it happens slowly over time.  I am a small town Nebraska kid.  Born and raised in small towns in Nebraska.  My father lived and died with the NU football team and I naturally became a big NU football fan.  During basketball season, my dad watched both NU and CU when they were on tv, so I did also.  He supported both teams, and so did I.  I also have a grandfather, aunt and uncle who were CU alums, so that added more reason to also like CU.  I am a big basketball fan.  I love it and definitely like it more than football.  So, I watch as much basketball as possible and it is more fun to watch local teams.

 

I then went to Creighton for undergraduate and grad school.  Since I am a big basketball fan, I naturally went to as many of the CU basketball games as I could.  I have been going to the CU games since the '80s.  During this time, I continued as a fan of NU basketball also.  The only time I didn't root for NU basketball was when they played Creighton.  My dad drove to Omaha to go to CU games and because he loves his kid he also roots for CU in that one game a year.  

 

I did and still follow NU basketball, but over time it has become harder and harder to root for NU basketball.  I really didn't understand all the mid-major bashing when CU was in the Missouri Valley.  Why can't Nebraskans support all the teams located in Nebraska?  I admit that it is my fault that I listened to sports radio and read this fan message board.  That certainly doesn't help keep support for NU basketball.  I hear and read stupid things from NU fans.  Yes, I also hear and read stupid things from CU fans but it really starts to wear on me when I read so many sweater vest jabs and so many posts that think it is funny to misspell Creighton.  I know many many CU fans that never bag on NU fans about Omaha vs Lincoln, quality of education, etc. that I see griped about on this board.  That is not the majority of CU fans.  The hardest part to stomach is people bashing on Omaha people and CU alums for supporting more than one school.  Why?  Supporting each other seems like the mature and generous thing to do.  So I keep trying.  

 

I am sure there are many rude Creighton fans out there because that is true of every fan base, but that is not what I am addressing in this post.  I am just answering the questions posted earlier in this post about why NU football fans are not also NU basketball fans.

Thanks for posting. I don’t think most people would have any problem with you supporting Creighton, especially since you’re an alum. I have several friends that are the same and I respect that. The people I have issues with are the rude Creighton fans (I’ve had multiple personal experiences) and the fair weather fans that stopped rooting for Nebraska because they were bad and started rooting for Creighton because they’re good. Now those same people like to bash on the Huskers for “sucking” when a few years ago they were cheering for them. Those are the fans I take issue with. 

 

One we thing I’ll disagree with you on - the Creighton fans love bashing on the “tractor driving, corn growing hicks”. To imply that only Nebraska fans are making fun of Creighton is inaccurate from my personal experience. It goes both ways. 

 

As for why I can’t support Creighton, it’s because of the bad experiences I’ve had with their fan base. Add in the ignorant comments they used to throw around when they were in the Valley “we would be in the top 2-3 teams in the Big 12”, “the competition level in the Valley is as tough as the Big 12” and after a while it just gets old and then everything about the team becomes irritating. I’ve spent time with Coach McDermott and he’s a first class, standup guy. I don’t really believe the whole pay for players thing with him. That said, I still can’t bring myself to root for them or not generally dislike the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Buglem said:

Thanks for posting. I don’t think most people would have any problem with you supporting Creighton, especially since you’re an alum. I have several friends that are the same and I respect that. The people I have issues with are the rude Creighton fans (I’ve had multiple personal experiences) and the fair weather fans that stopped rooting for Nebraska because they were bad and started rooting for Creighton because they’re good. Now those same people like to bash on the Huskers for “sucking” when a few years ago they were cheering for them. Those are the fans I take issue with. 

 

One we thing I’ll disagree with you on - the Creighton fans love bashing on the “tractor driving, corn growing hicks”. To imply that only Nebraska fans are making fun of Creighton is inaccurate from my personal experience. It goes both ways. 

 

As for why I can’t support Creighton, it’s because of the bad experiences I’ve had with their fan base. Add in the ignorant comments they used to throw around when they were in the Valley “we would be in the top 2-3 teams in the Big 12”, “the competition level in the Valley is as tough as the Big 12” and after a while it just gets old and then everything about the team becomes irritating. I’ve spent time with Coach McDermott and he’s a first class, standup guy. I don’t really believe the whole pay for players thing with him. That said, I still can’t bring myself to root for them or not generally dislike the team. 

Thanks for your response.  I did not mean to imply that only NU fans are making fun of the other team.  I specifically said that I hear CU fans say stupid things and that the majority of CU fans are not bashing NU fans.  By that I mean that I know that there is a minority that is.  I know all of this goes both ways, and was just addressing the questions of earlier posters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...