Creighton 2018-19, The Thread

PimpMario

1 hour ago, Buglem said:

Thanks for posting. I don’t think most people would have any problem with you supporting Creighton, especially since you’re an alum. I have several friends that are the same and I respect that. The people I have issues with are the rude Creighton fans (I’ve had multiple personal experiences) and the fair weather fans that stopped rooting for Nebraska because they were bad and started rooting for Creighton because they’re good. Now those same people like to bash on the Huskers for “sucking” when a few years ago they were cheering for them. Those are the fans I take issue with. 

One we thing I’ll disagree with you on - the Creighton fans love bashing on the “tractor driving, corn growing hicks”. To imply that only Nebraska fans are making fun of Creighton is inaccurate from my personal experience. It goes both ways. 

As for why I can’t support Creighton, it’s because of the bad experiences I’ve had with their fan base. Add in the ignorant comments they used to throw around when they were in the Valley “we would be in the top 2-3 teams in the Big 12”, “the competition level in the Valley is as tough as the Big 12” and after a while it just gets old and then everything about the team becomes irritating. I’ve spent time with Coach McDermott and he’s a first class, standup guy. I don’t really believe the whole pay for players thing with him. That said, I still can’t bring myself to root for them or not generally dislike the team. 

Good points on both sides.  I have never had an issue with a person that likes Creighton.  My one issue is the fan that loves NU football, and absolutely HATES Nebraska basketball.  That never made since to me.  And here's an example why.  When Wilson Thomas and Matt Davison played NU football and NU hoops, how do you cheer fully for them in one season and hate them in the next?  I guess it made zero sense to me.  

My other issue is this.  I know a ton of people that back in the Nee days loved NU hoops.  Then, NU got worse, and CU got better.  They jumped ship and now can't stand the same team they used to cheer for...trust me, there are a LOT of these fans.  

Also, if you feel NU fans are a bit harsh on CU fans (like reading this board) I ask you to venture over to the Bluejay Underground.  They have an entire thread called "Why I hate Nebraska Basketball."  The irony in a lot of it to me is that in their 100 thread post so many complain about NU's obsession over CU, while they have a ONE HUNDRED THREAD POST going on Nebraska.  The hypocrisy is unreal.  Hell, I have no problem admitting I don't like CU and I enjoy seeing them lose.  But for some reason they want to believe it is only our fan base that worries about them which is 100% from the truth.  If you ever get on social media after NU loses to CU, their fan base comes out of the woodwork's like no other!  Then you may not hear boo from them the rest of the season.  As long as they get that local bragging rights (and I'm talking about the casual fans) then they are happy.  I have worked with people that had NO idea anything about CU hoops....but they damn well knew if they beat NU.  

I personally like the rivalry.  I think its good for both schools.  It puts pressure on both schools to up their level of competitiveness.  CU has clearly been the better team the last 10 years, but I think that can also be a good thing for NU as it needs to play keep up or you do lose some "casual" fans. The same can be said for CU.  When Nee dominated the series in the 90's, CU went and got Altman, built new facilities and got the ball rolling.  A lot of good can come from your local rivals doing well.  Just my $0.02.

4 minutes ago, bball23 said:

My one issue is the fan that loves NU football, and absolutely HATES Nebraska basketball. 

This. Especially if they have a degree from UNL. I have a degree from the University of Florida, but I'm consistent about how I feel about the Gators. (For the record, mostly disengaged, but I root for UF versus FSU and Miami.)

1 hour ago, BBFan said:

I really didn't understand all the mid-major bashing when CU was in the Missouri Valley. 

Cary Cochran touched on this during the week as all the benefit went to Creighton at the time to the point Nebraska considered dropping the game. It's a very different time now they're a peer in terms of conference standing (this isn't universally agreed upon here) and thus it's really more of a true rivalry. With rivalries come all the generalizations and the putdowns.  This is actually what makes them special...that people care enough to stoop to a level of pettiness.

Otherwise, the thing about being a Nebraska Basketball fan is that it is not easy.  This is not a team that has been anything but historically mediocre. When you see someone who roots for Nebraska Football and Creighton or Kansas or Duke or whatever while that person may have gone to one of those schools it gives the impression that one is a fan of teams who have a history of winning.  When you're a Nebraska basketball fan, you are almost certainly a fan of every single sport for the University of Nebraska and it's something that is certainly valued around these parts.

2 hours ago, BBFan said:

Thanks for your response.  I did not mean to imply that only NU fans are making fun of the other team.  I specifically said that I hear CU fans say stupid things and that the majority of CU fans are not bashing NU fans.  By that I mean that I know that there is a minority that is.  I know all of this goes both ways, and was just addressing the questions of earlier posters.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. My Creighton buddies and their group chats love nothing more than bashing on the Huskers and making fun of the fans. Not that it’s a big deal or different than other fan bases, including Nebraska’s. If I were being cynical, I’d say your response and implying Creighton fans are above such nonsense is an example of the attitude exuding from their fan base. They aren’t just better than the Huskers at basketball, they are morally superior. 

4 hours ago, BBFan said:

Earlier in this thread, some of the posters wrote that they don't understand how NU football fans can root for CU basketball and not for NU basketball.  I'll share my story to try to demonstrate how that happens.  The short answer it that it happens slowly over time.  I am a small town Nebraska kid.  Born and raised in small towns in Nebraska.  My father lived and died with the NU football team and I naturally became a big NU football fan.  During basketball season, my dad watched both NU and CU when they were on tv, so I did also.  He supported both teams, and so did I.  I also have a grandfather, aunt and uncle who were CU alums, so that added more reason to also like CU.  I am a big basketball fan.  I love it and definitely like it more than football.  So, I watch as much basketball as possible and it is more fun to watch local teams.

I then went to Creighton for undergraduate and grad school.  Since I am a big basketball fan, I naturally went to as many of the CU basketball games as I could.  I have been going to the CU games since the '80s.  During this time, I continued as a fan of NU basketball also.  The only time I didn't root for NU basketball was when they played Creighton.  My dad drove to Omaha to go to CU games and because he loves his kid he also roots for CU in that one game a year.  

I did and still follow NU basketball, but over time it has become harder and harder to root for NU basketball.  I really didn't understand all the mid-major bashing when CU was in the Missouri Valley.  Why can't Nebraskans support all the teams located in Nebraska?  I admit that it is my fault that I listened to sports radio and read this fan message board.  That certainly doesn't help keep support for NU basketball.  I hear and read stupid things from NU fans.  Yes, I also hear and read stupid things from CU fans but it really starts to wear on me when I read so many sweater vest jabs and so many posts that think it is funny to misspell Creighton.  I know many many CU fans that never bag on NU fans about Omaha vs Lincoln, quality of education, etc. that I see griped about on this board.  That is not the majority of CU fans.  The hardest part to stomach is people bashing on Omaha people and CU alums for supporting more than one school.  Why?  Supporting each other seems like the mature and generous thing to do.  So I keep trying.  

I am sure there are many rude Creighton fans out there because that is true of every fan base, but that is not what I am addressing in this post.  I am just answering the questions posted earlier in this post about why NU football fans are not also NU basketball fans.

You know how many times I’ve seen CU fans refer to Doc Sadler as Sling Blade and Ron Howard’s uglier brother?  It’s just not how other places operate, everyone supporting everyone. My aunt and uncle are cattle farmers in Kansas. Both KU alums. Both cheer for the Jayhawks. None of their family started cheering for K- State in football in the 90’s and 2000’s when it would’ve been much much much easier because KU football was harder and harder to cheer for. They stayed with one school. I have issues with Jayskers who cheer for the football team and then don’t cheer for NU basketball because CU “makes the tournament”  They strike me as Omaha area Cubs and Royals fans when they’re in the World Series- I understand you’re situation is different since you went to Creighton. I have a good friend that is a CU alum and get along with a lot of their fans- but yes, there are some obnoxious ones in both fam bases I’m sure

This is why I never let other fans affect my feelings about another program or school. There are d-bags aplenty to go around, and awesome people, too. This is a really internet-y phenomenon, where you're exposed to people who either wouldn't express their ridiculous opinion out loud in real life or they just wouldn't  be in your circle of acquaintances (mostly because they always seem stuck in the 5th grade). 

That said, I'd love to obliterate the Jays today. For purely basketball reasons. Whether or not this makes Jay fans cry or not is incidental. Okay, if they cry a little, I'll get that same Myers Leonard satisfaction out of it where I giggle with glee, then feel bad because they're sad and want to hug them and give them a bon bon. 

Edited by tcp