Creighton 2018-19, The Thread

PimpMario

52 minutes ago, khoock said:

This will be Creightons first road game of the season. And we havent lost at home since KU last year. If the venues were flipped id be a little nervous. But i am about as confident as you can be going in to face a team we havent beaten in (what feels like) 100 years.

2,925 days to be more precise.

Edited by HuskerFever
Never trust Google to calculate anything.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

This will be Creightons first road game of the season. And we havent lost at home since KU last year. If the venues were flipped id be a little nervous. But i am about as confident as you can be going in to face a team we havent beaten in (what feels like) 100 years.

I hope you're right. This game has a very similar feel to the extreme letdown that was the 2014-15 game where we were way more talented and they beat us by 10 at home. I hope we come out and smack them in the mouth right away to take a page out of their book. They've abused us early multiple times in this series and we need to stop that!!!

2 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm surprised by the number picking (them) on the prediction thread. Really think we're going to lose? Or just hoping not to jinx us?

Mine is definitely not a reaction to yesterday's loss. I sat down and looked at both Nebraska and Creighton's stats and it made me a little nervous. Creighton can put up some offense, which is an area we've started to struggle in a bit recently. If we can play some solid defense, then we're in a good spot. I just don't know what team is going to show up on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I'm surprised by the number picking (them) on the prediction thread. Really think we're going to lose? Or just hoping not to jinx us?

I think some, not all, may be a reaction to yesterday.  Some, not all, may be the pessimistic side of people coming out after yesterday.  Some, not all, is probably the fact that we haven't beaten them since 2010.

59 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

This is Miles best team...but, McDermott has also owned him since basically the beginning of time. Until we beat them on the court with Miles running the show and McDermott on the other side I can’t pick us to win. We SHOULD win at home....but you never know. 

I'd say the biggest difference about this matchup is our transformation into a 3pt denying machine. Last year the Jays shot 5-21 from 3 though ate us up inside. I'd expect they'll try to attack inside and will have a level of success with it but this time it will be with a less experienced team, a markedly worse defense, and on the road.  We need to be disciplined not to run the entire time with them because they do have depth on us and they want to generate offense in transition before we can set up.

51 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

You mean, like this?

image.png

You know when I first saw that chart I was thrown off by how spread out our shots but after counting we only have two more mid-range shots than Minnesota.

Part of the problem with Minnesota is working/driving into the paint is what they want to do.

What's anyone's take on Ty-Shon Alexander and who is going to guard him?

For those unfamiliar the sophomore was a highly recruited guard out of Oak Hill that has blossomed into Creighton's go to scorer. The Jays spread the ball around but he's the one dominating the shots while on the court and doing so with an impressive 65.7 eFG% fueled by 45% 3pt shooting

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

For those unfamiliar the sophomore was a highly recruited guard out of Oak Hill that has blossomed into Creighton's go to scorer. The Jays spread the ball around but he's the one dominating the shots while on the court and doing so with an impressive 65.7 eFG% fueled by 45% 3pt shooting

My take is that I wish we would have had an anonymous booster pony up the $100K it took to get him - the kid is a stud.

58 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Here's my take on potential assignments:

Glynn - Mintz

Palmer - Ty-Shon

Allen - Ballock

Copeland - Jefferson

Roby - Krampelj

That's assuming Creighton uses their starting lineup they've been using. With that lineup we have a pretty significant size advantage with Palmer and Copeland, so I could see them maybe starting one of their 7 footers instead of Jefferson who's only 6'5" and having Krampelj move over to the 4. 

To be honest I don't trust Allen guarding Ty-Shon or Ballock, so I just went with Palmer guarding their best player simply because of experience purposes, even tho JP has left a lot to be desired defensively as of late.

Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Here's my take on potential assignments:

Glynn - Mintz

Palmer - Ty-Shon

Allen - Ballock

Copeland - Jefferson

Roby - Krampelj

That's assuming Creighton uses their starting lineup they've been using. With that lineup we have a pretty significant size advantage with Palmer and Copeland, so I could see them maybe starting one of their 7 footers instead of Jefferson who's only 6'5" and having Krampelj move over to the 4. 

To be honest I don't trust Allen guarding Ty-Shon or Ballock, so I just went with Palmer guarding their best player simply because of experience purposes, even tho JP has left a lot to be desired defensively as of late.

Thoughts?

We put Glynn on Myles Powell so I guess we have Glynn on Ty-Shon, Tom on Mintz, and Palmer on Ballock.

21 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

We put Glynn on Myles Powell so I guess we have Glynn on Ty-Shon, Tom on Mintz, and Palmer on Ballock.

That's a good call. For two years Thomas made Glynn's life miserable in this game so it's time to return the favor.

I assume that Ballock will guard Palmer and his go to defensive move will be losing his balance