Creighton 2018-19, The Thread

PimpMario

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

But other than the last year or two, it seems like Creighton had a bigger sense of urgency and intensity when it comes to this matchup. I'm not talking skill level or outcome or anything, I'm talking about players putting that extra 10% on the line even if one team is 0-10 and the other is 10-0. McDermott seems to be able to communicate that significance year-in and year-out.

Darren Devries was the long time assistant under Dana and then McDermott who beat that drum along with whatever Omaha kids might be on the roster.  Also there was the whole 'MVC is mid-major' deal.  Devries is gone. No Omaha kids on that rosters. They play in the Big East.  That 'we gotta beat Nebraska' edge surely isn't as sharp.

We're the team with the Nebraska kid on the roster who didn't get a 2018 scholarship offer by the Jays.  We're the team with four Nebraska kids on the team to the Jay's zero.  We're the team that beat up on Seton Hall because we were pissed about St John's from last year.  We're the team that has an edge in all games...not just this one.

I'm happy to say that I hate Creighton and always will.

Still mad at their Sports Information Director being the only school on our 2006 schedule to not mail me a media guide for this website. Literally every other team on the schedule would.

They were also one of only two schools to not offer a player interview.

And their SID corrected me when I typed in "Blue Jays" instead of "Bluejays" in an e-mail explaining why I didn't deserve access to their program.

This is just the icing on the cake to the school (and a large part of its fanbase) that sees itself "superior to Nebraska" in every single way and makes sure to always talk down as such.

I've never much cared for people who sit around and sniff their own farts.

1 minute ago, hhcdave said:

And their SID corrected me when I typed in "Blue Jays" instead of "Bluejays" in an e-mail explaining why I didn't deserve access to their program.

Ah, I see that this is the same guy who once tweeted about Nebraska losing to Hawaii at 3 am 

I don’t have time to explain all of the reasons why I can’t stand CU. But lots of bad experiences with their alums, and as I’ve mentioned before, I work with a LOT of blue jay alums. They truly do believe they are academically closer to Harvard than Northwestern, and two refer themselves as the Duke of the Midwest. Their snobbery and entitlement attitude just rub me the wrong way. And I also have a guy who is an NU alum, cheers for our football team, yet puts blue on all season and then cheers against his own school. I always put up a nice bet with a fellow VP of our company and always lose. I can’t wait to win this year. But first, Minnesota. 

15 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I do not hate.

I simply struggle how you can have red on, go to a football game, stand and clap when the fight song comes on, cheer and sweat and lose your voice cheering for Nebraska; and then go home, shower, put on a blue sweater vest and go to a Creighton v Husker basketball game and sit during the fight song, and cheer for a team other than the Huskers.  I simply don't get it.  Heck, I have a close relative who gives money to UNL Athletics, and does not give a dime to Creighton; yet, they attend Creighton basketball games instead of Husker basketball games.  I JUST DON"T GET IT.

But do I hate them.  No.  

This is exactly how my friends in Omaha are. They even went to UNL, but grew up going to Creighton bball games here in Omaha so have more of a devotion to Creighton bball than Nebraska bball. They'll cheer heavily on Husker football Saturdays for Big Red, but won't clap to the fight song this coming Saturday while we're at the game and they're wearing blue. I give them a hard time, but I also realize I can't make them like a different team just because of where they went to college. Nevertheless, it's a fun rivalry and I love it. 

I’ve got a “friend” that roots for Nebraska football, goes to games, invites me and a couple friends over to watch games, but he’s an IOWA basketball fan. My high school is full of jayskers, and i constantly heckle them for it, but i just can’t explain this one. The worst part is that he religiously hates Nebraska basketball. How can you root for a school one day then put on that puke yellow and root for IOWA basketball? 

Frontrunners have weak character and lack moral fiber.  They exhibit the worst traits that a human can possess and are most likely psychotic to boot.  Prone to addiction and bad hygiene, these people are to be avoided at all costs socially and professionally as they constitute an existential threat to mankind.  Please refrain from all contact with them as soon as possible.  You will be doing humanity a great service.

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, bb33ch said:

I’ve got a “friend” that roots for Nebraska football, goes to games, invites me and a couple friends over to watch games, but he’s an IOWA basketball fan. My high school is full of jayskers, and i constantly heckle them for it, but i just can’t explain this one. The worst part is that he religiously hates Nebraska basketball. How can you root for a school one day then put on that puke yellow and root for IOWA basketball? 

Now that I have never heard of before. A team within the same conference? That is unreal. 

19 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Now that I have never heard of before. A team within the same conference? That is unreal. 

It’s ridiculous. Me and my friend (one of the very few nebrasketball fans in my school) got on him after they lost to Wiscy. He was very angry in stating how bad we were because we lost to a Texas Tech. He then proceeded to talk up Nebraska football the next day. Truly astonishing.

3 hours ago, bb33ch said:

I moved to Des Moines for a few years, and severely missed attending husker basketball.  I could not bring myself to attend anything related to Iowa or Iowa State.  I ended up attending a number of Drake games back when they had an ex-husker player as an assistant and players included Black Magic Lloyd and Pop Wright.  My concession was that I always wore husker gear...

2 hours ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Is there a line on this game yet? n00b follow up question: where does one find the latest lines?

Line comes out generally 24 hours or so before.

This is the site I use though a simply google search will bring any up http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/lines.php?sport=ncaabb&period=0

If the line came out today it would probably start at us by 6.  That could change if the outcome of the Minnesota game is unexpected or if either team had a significant injury

11 hours ago, bb33ch said:

He is probably th zodiac killer.

My intro was some high school kid being dragged out by his girl friend who was very embarrassed as we were beating the crap out of them and he turns and yells, ". I hope none of your tractors start so you can't get home tonight!"  His girl friend just leaves him standing there and then I calmly tell him what the hell are you talking about?   Like Omaha is New York or Chicago?   

Then have had some other run ins, like the night I thought my boys and I and some guy who just wanted to "kick the shit out of some Creighton asshole". where going to have to fight 5 drunk guys outside of Devaney as they were yelling shit and getting in their Limo, yeah Limo.

Edited by Silverbacked1

I never had the Creighton hate. Part of that was I was in high school in Bellevue, so CU was closer and went to several games a year at the auditorium (including watching Bird play there in those ludicrous shorts and trouncing the Jays)). 

It's strange seeing people my age have that antagonism largely because the programs were in such different zip codes back then. Nebraska was a much better program than a mid major of the era, so there wasn't really a competition between the recruits. It would've been like hating on UNO now. 

I can, however, understand how younger folks can have a quality CU rage-on since the Jays entered big time hoops land with the Dana Altman era and we started finally losing to them. 

4 hours ago, tcp said:

I never had the Creighton hate. Part of that was I was in high school in Bellevue, so CU was closer and went to several games a year at the auditorium (including watching Bird play there in those ludicrous shorts and trouncing the Jays)). 

It's strange seeing people my age have that antagonism largely because the programs were in such different zip codes back then. Nebraska was a much better program than a mid major of the era, so there wasn't really a competition between the recruits. It would've been like hating on UNO now. 

I can, however, understand how younger folks can have a quality CU rage-on since the Jays entered big time hoops land with the Dana Altman era and we started finally losing to them. 

Added to the fact that they're now a part of what many pundits would consider a "power" conference for basketball. I never had much vitriol for them no matter how good they were when they were in the Missouri Valley.

As I have stated before, as a native Kansan I have never hated Creighton, although I would certainly like to see this current losing streak end. The first time I ever saw them play was at an NCAA regional in Lawrence when their star was Paul Silas. He went on to a long NBA career and was a stalwart member of the Celtics for awhile. Their coaches never bothered me either. Apke was liked so much by Lincoln East's Alex Stivrins that he followed him to Colorado when he left the Jays. Eddie Sutton was a high school player who played against teams coached by my dad. I respected Willis Reed when he played for the Knicks. And Tony Baroni graciously accepted an invitation to speak at the Pius Sports banquet when I was in charge of the program. In short, let's just beat them on Saturday and move on without gloating and rubbing it in too much ourselves. ( Disclaimer-none of the above sentiments apply to Grant Gibbs). 

Edited by jimmykc

On 12/3/2018 at 3:15 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I don't hate Jayskers.

Their school doesn't have a football team.  The state does have one, though, but only one at the D1 level.  Makes sense for people to be fans of the local football team even if they don't go to that school.  People from Peru State probably cheer for the Huskers and I haven't heard anyone call them Bobskers.

I think Jayskers tend to be less acerbic and abrasive than other CU fans who choose to hate on ALL Nebraska sports including football just because they have a hard-on for something Barry Collier said nearly 20 years ago, which they now kind of agree with.

Obviously, there's some crossover. You get the occasional Jaysker who is just an unqualified dick, but that probably has more to do with personal failing on their end than it is an indictment of Jayskers generally.

So, I don't really care if Creighton hoops fans also cheer on Nebraska football.  It gives us something kind of fun to mock them about and I'm OK with that.

The Jaysker that hates nebrasketball and treats it like the game of the century while rooting for us in football is the Jaysker that can kiss my ass.  

9 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

My intro was some high school kid being dragged out by his girl friend who was very embarrassed as we were beating the crap out of them and he turns and yells, ". I hope none of your tractors start so you can't get home tonight!"  His girl friend just leaves him standing there and then I calmly tell him what the hell are you talking about?   Like Omaha is New York or Chicago?   

Then have had some other run ins, like the night I thought my boys and I and some guy who just wanted to "kick the shit out of some Creighton asshole". where going to have to fight 5 drunk guys outside of Devaney as they were yelling shit and getting in their Limo, yeah Limo.

Sadly, there are Creighton alums who think Omaha IS like New York or Chicago...

3 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Sadly, there are Creighton alums who think Omaha IS like New York or Chicago...

Here are just a handful of metropolitan regions that are larger than #59 Omaha/Council Bluffs:

Honolulu

Tulsa

Tucson

Birmingham

Salt Lake City

Louisville

Richmond

Raleigh

Memphis

Milwaukee

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Pittsburgh

Portland

Charlotte

St. Louis

And none of those listed above even crack the Top 20.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, Art Vandalay said:

Do not have a problem with someone being a NU football fan and liking the Bluejays. What I have a huge problem with is the guys who cheer for football but then actively root against and trash our basketball team.

I despise those people with a passion and always will. I am trying to ban then from attending our tailgates any more, they are losers period.

This...exactly describes the way I feel as well.