Creighton 2018-19, The Thread

PimpMario

Gonzaga looked 1/2 interested for some of it. I kept thinking, honestly, we are more athletic than Gonzaga in some ways.  CU has very little post up game, our length should bother their three point shooting, and PBA needs to come strong and we will be fine. 

Edited by Faux Mike Peltz

5 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Gonzaga looked 1/2 interested for some of it. I kept thinking, honestly, we are more athletic than Gonzaga in some ways.  CU has very little post up game, our length should bother their three point shooting, and PBA needs to come strong and we will be fine. 

Agreed. I didn't feel like I was watching a team that just beat Duke or one that is #1 in the nation.

1 hour ago, Keenan9595 said:

Not if we beat Okie state, if we would have 3 quality wins against big conference opponents and go 1-1 with the Big East and 1-1 with the Big 12 we would have more then enough quality non-con wins already to focus on conference play.  That’s not counting Cal State Fullerton who won their conference and went to the dance last year.  However, not beating Illinois and Minnesota before we go to a ranked Maryland and a ranked Iowa team sets us up to start 2-2, 1-3 or 0-4.  That’s a far worse hole to dig out of them just a lose to Creighton.  IMO

I said a 2-0 start to conference might be more important than beating Creighton so I’m not sure where you’re going with this?  

• hhcmatt changed the title to Scouting Creighton

Jays generate a lot more offense getting a look coming out of transition where you're scrambling than when the defense is back and set though they're not bad there either. Their bigs are skilled offensively but it will still be about getting back and making those guys beat us while we deny the 3.  They probably can exploit a lot of teams with slower 4s but that's not us. How well can we defend their rotating line of bigs?

On defense the only thing they're doing well is not fouling because it was just a layup clinic out there this afternoon and their numbers show that is the norm. If we can get the rim and convert against a quicker Illinois team we'll certainly be able to do so against this team.

The other thing that strikes me is you can out-grit this team and this is a gritty Husker team. When we are down in this game, and chances are we will be at some point, we will be able to will ourselves back in with defense and grit.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I said a 2-0 start to conference might be more important than beating Creighton so I’m not sure where you’re going with this?  

I’m sorry, I went back and read what you wrote and I thought you were making the argument that Creighton was more important then a 2-0 conference start.  My bad.  

4 hours ago, Keenan9595 said:

I’m sorry, I went back and read what you wrote and I thought you were making the argument that Creighton was more important then a 2-0 conference start.  My bad.  

No problem!  Understand that context can be thrown off on message boards, emails, texts, etc.  It happens!  Now let’s beat the Illini!

10 hours ago, brfrad said:

I think the difference is Clemson fouled our guys going for the ball.  Creighton fouled a guy who was not anywhere near the ball.

Creighton started 6 of 9 from 3.  Hit 8 of their last 23.

Yeah....well I wish we could be shooting .4375 from 3.

They started hot and got ahead...The odds played out and talent won out.

Let's hope our defense catches them early and often...as they have a much better team than I expected after their losses from graduation.

I don't hate Jayskers.

Their school doesn't have a football team.  The state does have one, though, but only one at the D1 level.  Makes sense for people to be fans of the local football team even if they don't go to that school.  People from Peru State probably cheer for the Huskers and I haven't heard anyone call them Bobskers.

I think Jayskers tend to be less acerbic and abrasive than other CU fans who choose to hate on ALL Nebraska sports including football just because they have a hard-on for something Barry Collier said nearly 20 years ago, which they now kind of agree with.

Obviously, there's some crossover. You get the occasional Jaysker who is just an unqualified dick, but that probably has more to do with personal failing on their end than it is an indictment of Jayskers generally.

So, I don't really care if Creighton hoops fans also cheer on Nebraska football.  It gives us something kind of fun to mock them about and I'm OK with that.

• hhcmatt changed the title to Creighton 2018-19, The Thread
13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's not the worst thing in the world to have an actual rival. Nebraska football doesn't really have one these days and that's a damn shame.

Agreed. Hence the "jokingly" start of a post. This is a game I always look forward to on the schedule. I think the players get a touch more amped up for this on as well, orginally posted Cookie Miller (but that was a fight against Kansas). Who recently got into it with Creighton? Mike Peltz?

Past couple of years have hurt seeing the Jays beat up on the Huskers. Think this our year.

Edited by Shawsker
I was wrong it wasn't Cookie

I do not hate.

I simply struggle how you can have red on, go to a football game, stand and clap when the fight song comes on, cheer and sweat and lose your voice cheering for Nebraska; and then go home, shower, put on a blue sweater vest and go to a Creighton v Husker basketball game and sit during the fight song, and cheer for a team other than the Huskers.  I simply don't get it.  Heck, I have a close relative who gives money to UNL Athletics, and does not give a dime to Creighton; yet, they attend Creighton basketball games instead of Husker basketball games.  I JUST DON"T GET IT.

But do I hate them.  No.  

2 hours ago, Shawsker said:

Agreed. Hence the "jokingly" start of a post. This is a game I always look forward to on the schedule. I think the players get a touch more amped up for this on as well

I don't know. That might be the case. I hope that's the case.

But other than the last year or two, it seems like Creighton had a bigger sense of urgency and intensity when it comes to this matchup. I'm not talking skill level or outcome or anything, I'm talking about players putting that extra 10% on the line even if one team is 0-10 and the other is 10-0. McDermott seems to be able to communicate that significance year-in and year-out.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't hate Jayskers.

Their school doesn't have a football team.  The state does have one, though, but only one at the D1 level.  Makes sense for people to be fans of the local football team even if they don't go to that school.  People from Peru State probably cheer for the Huskers and I haven't heard anyone call them Bobskers.

I think Jayskers tend to be less acerbic and abrasive than other CU fans who choose to hate on ALL Nebraska sports including football just because they have a hard-on for something Barry Collier said nearly 20 years ago, which they now kind of agree with.

Obviously, there's some crossover. You get the occasional Jaysker who is just an unqualified dick, but that probably has more to do with personal failing on their end than it is an indictment of Jayskers generally.

So, I don't really care if Creighton hoops fans also cheer on Nebraska football.  It gives us something kind of fun to mock them about and I'm OK with that.

Do not have a problem with someone being a NU football fan and liking the Bluejays. What I have a huge problem with is the guys who cheer for football but then actively root against and trash our basketball team.

I despise those people with a passion and always will. I am trying to ban then from attending our tailgates any more, they are losers period.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Do not have a problem with someone being a NU football fan and liking the Bluejays. What I have a huge problem with is the guys who cheer for football but then actively root against and trash our basketball team.

I despise those people with a passion and always will. I am trying to ban then from attending our tailgates any more, they are losers period.

I'll take it a step further...I really hate it when one of them says "We" during the fall for the Huskers, then says "We" during bball, but the "We" is then for the Jays ?.