Scouting Illinois

hhcmatt

Strong 3pt shooting team: we excel taking this away though this will our biggest test against a team that takes and makes a large number of them. Tech has been a good 3pt shooting team but they don't take a ton. 

Turns you over:  Underwood is a Huggins/Frank Martin guy and he's trying to turn you over with everything from jumping passing lanes to full court press. Nebraska has taken care of the ball during thus far but hasn't faced pressure like this.

Poor interior defense:   The combination of gambling for steals and lack of dominant rim protectors make of the foundation of why Illinois's opponents have shot a remarkable 58.3% vs them from 2. The Huskers have transformed themselves into a team that mainly shoots 3s or drives to the lane and should make hay all day once they get past the Illinois 

Putting people on the line:  Another side effect of trying to steal the ball and defending when being beat is that this team will be hacking you all day. Should see plenty of FT attempts for the Huskers in this one.

Game vs Notre Dame if you have ESPNU access

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=96cf88e3-6b88-4f6b-9dda-777fb8de766c

The old Wooden phrase, "Be quick, but don't hurry" will likely be relevant in this game. Illinois wants you goad you into playing in a frenzy. We need to make them pay for their high risk style of defense without getting sloppy. It is aesthetically unpleasant watching Illinois play. Any other teams people can think of that are simply hard to watch, due to style of play? 

51 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

They have a decent post

Giorgi Bezhanishvili seems to be a good get for them. We should be able to defend him much better than the Irish did because we're a more experienced team at trying to take away the 3 while not helping down. They do have a grad transfer in 7 ft Adonis De La Rosa but that dude looks like a fish out of water on this fast paced team and really should have been smarter picking his 3rd school

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

I think this comment from an Illinois "fan" is pretty close to the truth!

"We have just enough talented players to keep it close with anyone...and just enough holes in the roster to lose to anyone."

I remember these days.  Honestly we have the same problem on a little smaller level.  

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Other teams I don't like to watch: Cincinnati and West Virginia

Take this information as *anectdotal* but I remember hearing that during Bob Huggins time at Cincinnati he never had one player graduate. Not one. Not even some stiff on the bench who actually went to class, and look where he is now.

26 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Take this information as *anectdotal* but I remember hearing that during Bob Huggins time at Cincinnati he never had one player graduate. Not one. Not even some stiff on the bench who actually went to class, and look where he is now.

I know I posted that information at some point in the past. He did have a couple leave early for the NBA, but no one graduated. There were some like Van Excel who made it to their senior year but stopped going to class second semester and apparently that was OK. And when you meet him in person he is somehow even a bigger jerk then you thought he would be. 

13 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I think this comment from an Illinois "fan" is pretty close to the truth!

"We have just enough talented players to keep it close with anyone...and just enough holes in the roster to lose to anyone."

I think I see the problem

Last year of Bill Self (7 top 100 kids)

image.png

Last year of Bruce Weber (8 top 100 kids)

image.png

Last year of John Groce (5 top 100 kids)

image.png

Current Brad Underwood Roster (1 top 100 kid)

image.png

9 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Well that team in '05 that lost to Carolina in the Finals had some crazy record like 32-1, loads of talent. And who can forget when we curb stomped at the Bob our first year in the B1G and made Meyers Leonard and Co. cry? Not me... 

I will always be grateful to Illinois for giving us this: