Nebraska High School Basketball (18-19)

Huskerpapa

Speaking of the younger Arop, there was a nice article in the paper today about his expanded game and ability to drive. With Burke, Green, Nana, Roby & Akol we have the potential to really light it up on the wing. Would be nice to find a JUCO Center but that’s a discussion for another day...

On 11/29/2018 at 8:20 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

So how is Aurora in C-1 for football, and B for Basketball. I know that  they got tired of being beat in football in B. But shouldn't they be C-1 in all sports. 

Bug, that's completely untrue. Aurora switched to C-1 for football due to NSAA's new regulation for "boy enrollment"! And, I also believe another reason to not 'jump' back up to B this past season is because the scheduling quirks of the past decade were tiresome.... Aurora had to travel to either Scottsbluff or Gering every season plus Alliance and/or McCook every year. Once Aurora was leading big on S-Bluff late in the 2nd half when a big weather system went overhead; needless to say, Bearcats didn't call it, and Aurora still won after the large delay, the Huskies got home at 5 a.m. on a Saturday. Which is total crap. For being one of the smaller enrollments in class B football of the prior decade, they kicked a$$ with 2 state titles & 2 runners-up. Then, of course, Husky pride steamrolled through Class C-1 this year averaging 52-13 in their ballgames, including 49-7 over the Chanticleers in the championship game. So, no, "not tired of getting beat" at all.

Personally, I wish Aurora had remained in B, but the scheduling was a huge impediment for coaches, players, parents, and fans to deal with, in my opinion. I've heard that Aurora could head back to B if/when "boy enrollment" continues to pick up (*as expected). I do believe Aurora could have competed in B this past season with Baylor Scheierman at QB. Dude broke all of Scott Frost's all-time Nebraska records !!!

12 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Saw Arop play this evening at the Metro Tournament:  very athletic and explosive—a beast on the defensive end and dominant in the paint.  He’s the second coming of Ade Dagunduro.  Can’t wait to see him in Husker red! 

I loved me Ade Dagunduro !!!

Let's. Do. This.

Edited by AuroranHusker

40 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Bug, that's completely untrue. Aurora switched to C-1 for football due to NSAA's new regulation for "boy enrollment"! And, I also believe another reason to not 'jump' back up to B this past season is because the scheduling quirks of the past decade were tiresome.... Aurora had to travel to either Scottsbluff or Gering every season plus Alliance and/or McCook every year. Once Aurora was leading big on S-Bluff late in the 2nd half when a big weather system went overhead; needless to say, Bearcats didn't call it, and Aurora still won after the large delay, the Huskies got home at 5 a.m. on a Saturday. Which is total crap. For being one of the smaller enrollments in class B football of the prior decade, they kicked a$$ with 2 state titles & 2 runners-up. Then, of course, Husky pride steamrolled through Class C-1 this year averaging 52-13 in their ballgames, including 49-7 over the Chanticleers in the championship game. So, no, "not tired of getting beat" at all.

Personally, I wish Aurora had remained in B, but the scheduling was a huge impediment for coaches, players, parents, and fans to deal with, in my opinion. I've heard that Aurora could head back to B if/when "boy enrollment" continues to pick up (*as expected). I do believe Aurora could have competed in B this past season with Baylor Scheierman at QB. Dude broke all of Scott Frost's all-time Nebraska records !!!

I’m not comenting on anything but the “scheduling quirks.” That is not a quirk for Aurora. Schools like Hastings, Holdrege and York near Aurora have the same issues and the Panhandle school experience is about half their games are long distance affairs. As long as their is a class B there has to be long trips in Nebraska to get these roughly same sized schools together.  There has always beeen large disparities concerning school size in a class. It used to be class A but now the problem has been pushed down to class B for sometime. These things are the facts of Nebraska’s population and geography not “quirks.”

I have zero information on this but I do find it hard to believe that the fact that they would be a competitive school in class B but if they stayed in class C-1 they had a great chance at a state championship did not factor into the discussion determining what class they would be in this year. And I’m sure they factored in that Baylor and others won’t be there next season which make perfect sence. 

And maybe you can tell me if there is any truth to this rumor.  I heard that there were some younger athletes that transferred out because they didn’t want to be at a class C school. I have no personal knowledge on this but did hear someone stating this at a bar so it might not have come from the most reliable source. 

OK I will also share my belief that if Scottsbluff had a big lead in Aurora when a storm system passed by, Aurora is not calling the game either. That’s the competitive nature of those involved and not “total crap.”

On 1/5/2019 at 12:41 PM, Dean Smith said:

I’m not comenting on anything but the “scheduling quirks.” That is not a quirk for Aurora. Schools like Hastings, Holdrege and York near Aurora have the same issues and the Panhandle school experience is about half their games are long distance affairs. As long as their is a class B there has to be long trips in Nebraska to get these roughly same sized schools together.  There has always beeen large disparities concerning school size in a class. It used to be class A but now the problem has been pushed down to class B for sometime. These things are the facts of Nebraska’s population and geography not “quirks.”

I have zero information on this but I do find it hard to believe that the fact that they would be a competitive school in class B but if they stayed in class C-1 they had a great chance at a state championship did not factor into the discussion determining what class they would be in this year. And I’m sure they factored in that Baylor and others won’t be there next season which make perfect sence. 

And maybe you can tell me if there is any truth to this rumor.  I heard that there were some younger athletes that transferred out because they didn’t want to be at a class C school. I have no personal knowledge on this but did hear someone stating this at a bar so it might not have come from the most reliable source. 

OK I will also share my belief that if Scottsbluff had a big lead in Aurora when a storm system passed by, Aurora is not calling the game either. That’s the competitive nature of those involved and not “total crap.”

Obviously I based it on travel concerns from an *Aurora perspective; which, yes, it is quirks from *Aurora perspective when all previous rivals for a century (seemingly) were within 60-70 mi. So please understand where the information is coming from instead of lecturing my use of 'total crap' within its correct context.

And, of course, Aurora isn't calling the game against Scottsbluff. I played competitive sports ya know. It's context. The Huskies played twice in the panhandle within that same month. Once again, context is important. It is "total crap" to get home at 5 in the morning for a bunch of 14-18 year old young men who busted their butts. To suggest otherwise is to miss my point, entirely!

I do not presently live in Aurora to know of the transfer rumors. Aurora's still a proud member of Class B in every other sport. I wish I knew the inner-workings of the 3-3 school board vote to *not* move back to B for football in 2018. Maybe it's title-hunting as 'Dean Smith' suggested; I have heard from many, many ppl that the travel concerns were a big factor. That's as much as I know, for certain. So that's what I addressed from an *Aurora perspective. Of course, there's always two sides to every coin, and the *Aurora perspective isn't "gospel truth" in subjective lines of reasoning as far as the why's, how's, & wherefore's. I hope that clears it up; I realize now that what I wrote earlier was *very* one-sided, but that's truly all I knew about the matter. And my info might be considered 'total crap', too. ;)

Edited by AuroranHusker

And, yes, I understand, I did not provide full context. It wrote that all quickly before I had to be somewhere. I do understand the history of Class A's scheduling snafus making their way to B. I do believe that the state did better to consider "boy population" finally after years of kicking 'issues' down the curb.... and, no, I don't know the right answer to fix any of this; and, as 'Dean Smith' said, it's the wildly variant population of the entire, grand state of Nebraska. I am sure glad I don't have to deal with any of this, from an NSAA administrative standpoint.

Edited by AuroranHusker

46 minutes ago, Neon Budreau said:

I'm not sure you can blame Aurora for playing in the classification that the NSAA put them in. I didn't see people calling out traditional class B schools like Nebraska City, Sidney, or Holdrege for playing in C1 this year. It's very rare that schools choose to opt up a class from the one the NSAA puts them in.  

Exactly right. Almost every rival that Aurora's had over the past 50+ years had already moved to either C-1 or C-2 in the time-frame of the past 25 years. So, really, Aurora was reunited with a whole lot of teams in the process of "staying" in Class C-1 this past football season. Thus, the travel for Aurora football went back to within the 60-70 mi range, once again.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Obviously I based it on travel concerns from an *Aurora perspective; which, yes, it is quirks from *Aurora perspective when all previous rivals for a century (seemingly) were within 60-70 mi. So please understand where the information is coming from instead of lecturing my use of 'total crap' within its correct context.

And, of course, Aurora isn't calling the game against Scottsbluff. I played competitive sports ya know. It's context. The Huskies played twice in the panhandle within that same month. Once again, context is important. It is "total crap" to get home at 5 in the morning for a bunch of 14-18 year old young men who busted their butts. To suggest otherwise is to miss my point, entirely!

I do not presently live in Aurora to know of the transfer rumors. Aurora's still a proud member of Class B in every other sport. I wish I knew the inner-workings of the 4-4 school board vote to *not* move back to B for football in 2018. Maybe it's title-hunting as 'Dean Smith' suggested; I have heard from many, many ppl that the travel concerns were a big factor. That's as much as I know, for certain. So that's what I addressed from an *Aurora perspective. Of course, there's always two sides to every coin, and the *Aurora perspective isn't "gospel truth" in subjective lines of reasoning as far as the why's, how's, & wherefore's. I hope that clears it up; I realize now that what I wrote earlier was *very* one-sided, but that's truly all I knew about the matter. And my info might be considered 'total crap', too. ;)

I don't do lectures so that wasn't my point. For some Panhandle schools, they don't have any away games as close as 60-70 miles so I was discussing the situation from the overall Class B perspective and the playing high school sports in Nebraska perspective. At least football is played on Friday night. Scottsbluff will have a basketball game in Chadron on a Thursday and the students will need to be to school the next day.  For them that's not crap, that's just a fact of life. So basically we were having a conversation from two different perspectives. Maybe we were even having two separate conversations at the same time. 

And like most things in life, I'm pretty sure there was more than one factor in the decision from Aurora to stay in Class C. I would think travel, winning a title, and long-term cost and competitiveness all came up in the board's conversation. 

1 minute ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't do lectures so that wasn't my point. For some Panhandle schools, they don't have any away games as close as 60-70 miles so I was discussing the situation from the overall Class B perspective and the playing high school sports in Nebraska perspective. At least football is played on Friday night. Scottsbluff will have a basketball game in Chadron on a Thursday and the students will need to be to school the next day.  For them that's not crap, that's just a fact of life. So basically we were having a conversation from two different perspectives. Maybe we were even having two separate conversations at the same time. 

And like most things in life, I'm pretty sure there was more than one factor in the decision from Aurora to stay in Class C. I would think travel, winning a title, and long-term cost and competitiveness all came up in the board's conversation. 

And I was told as much about the competitiveness issue. I would say my source is very creditable, to me as least he is. he know the working of the school board.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Perhaps the answer is to reduce the number of classes.  With our population base we should easily be able to move back to a simple four division split; A, B, C, D.  

I don't think I would have a problem going back to four classes. To get to 28 Class A schools you have to put schools together that go from 1069 boys at GI to 487at Gretna. That's a difference of 582. At the other end from the top of D1 to the bottom of  D2, the difference between the largest and smallest school is only 34 boys. It is way easier with only 28 Class A schools for a Class A School to make the State Tournament. But it is much easier for the individual to get to the tournament from a small school. You easily could have starters on a Class D2 championship team that would be cut from every Class A team. So its easy for schools to get to the tourney from large schools but not so for individuals at large schools because they can't even make the team. You could quite likely find 12 players from Omaha Central that couldn't make the team there that would win a state championship in a lower class. I guess it all goes back to perspective again.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't think I would have a problem going back to four classes. To get to 28 Class A schools you have to put schools together that go from 1069 boys at GI to 487at Gretna. That's a difference of 582. At the other end from the top of D1 to the bottom of  D2, the difference between the largest and smallest school is only 34 boys. It is way easier with only 28 Class A schools for a Class A School to make the State Tournament. But it is much easier for the individual to get to the tournament from a small school. You easily could have starters on a Class D2 championship team that would be cut from every Class A team. So its easy for schools to get to the tourney from large schools but not so for individuals at large schools because they can't even make the team. You could quite likely find 12 players from Omaha Central that couldn't make the team there that would win a state championship in a lower class. I guess it all goes back to perspective again.

Yeah, that is tough for class A, but life is not always fair.  The best team will win, and that is fair.  But think about the Hoosier type atmosphere at the State Tournament if a team from Gretna could knock off a team from Omaha Central.  I think it would be great.  Another thought, some schools could co-op for sports.  

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah, that is tough for class A, but life is not always fair.  The best team will win, and that is fair.  But think about the Hoosier type atmosphere at the State Tournament if a team from Gretna could knock off a team from Omaha Central.  I think it would be great.  Another thought, some schools could co-op for sports.  

I don't get your comment. My point was its easier for class A  but harder for individuals attending Class A schools. I like the class system in general. Wouldn't want to eliminate classes because the Hoosier situation happens once every 50 years. Lots of schools do co-op or consolidate.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't get your comment. My point was its easier for class A  but harder for individuals attending Class A schools. I like the class system in general. Wouldn't want to eliminate classes because the Hoosier situation happens once every 50 years. Lots of schools do co-op or consolidate.

I don't disagree necessarily.  My home school was Class C when I graduated, and today they have consolidated with two other schools and combined, they are D-1.  In fact, I believe last year they had to forfeit a number of games because they couldn't field a full team...in 8-man football.  Unbelievable.  

I simply like the four class system. 

11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't disagree necessarily.  My home school was Class C when I graduated, and today they have consolidated with two other schools and combined, they are D-1.  In fact, I believe last year they had to forfeit a number of games because they couldn't field a full team...in 8-man football.  Unbelievable.  

I simply like the four class system. 

As stated earlier I too agree with fewer classes competing. But would that also lead to more co-ops/consolidations? Not sure how the classifications would be handled? But wouldn't there be a bigger discrepancy from the top and bottom of 2 lower classes than we currently see in D-1 and D-2 now? The bottom is going to be the same, a school with 13 boys in high school. While the top end will go higher, thus creating a bigger enrollment difference from top to bottom. And that small school may want to join another school so as to make up for that difference. The NSAA may have to expand classes A and B to help if the class reduction did occur. And back in November there was a proposal to form a study to see what the impact would be of adding a 9-man football class. If that were formed I'm guessing it would make 3 11-man classes, 1 9-man class, 1 8-man class and 1 6-man class. Not sure what that would do to basketball or other sports classificationwise.

Edited by rr52