Nebraska High School Basketball (18-19)

Huskerpapa

Not against a high school shot clock but not sure how forcing a bad team to shoot more makes the game better? What are you trying to accomplish by going to a shot clock? If it's making the game more entertaining for the fan that is the wrong reason, I believe. It needs to be done to make the game itself better. Could maybe see Classes A, B, C-1 try it experimentally and see how it works. Heard that it costs $5,000/basket. And like huskerpapa said there are other concerns which includes the officiating/running it part. There is already a shortage of basketball refs and having Craig the service tech from the local pivot dealership downtown may not be the best answer. And as soon as he messes up once the opposing fans will be watching the rest of the night and let him know when he does it again.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:03 PM, rr52 said:

Bruce Zabel who played high school ball in Fairbury was another transfer from Hastings to KSC. Sorry it was Kearney St. when I went there and still refer to it as such even though my son now attends UNK.

And wow there appears to be a lot of fellow Lopers on here. 

K-E-A-R-N-E

K-E-A-R-N-E-Y

K-E-A-R-N-E-Y

Played against Zabel in HS - - a man amongst boys.  They had another guy who has also tough, Claus?  Klaus?  Clouse?  If I recall, Fairbury got jobbed a little bit in the state tourney, late semi final game, and then turned around and had to play Killer Kane and that rugged 1-3-1 early on Sat morn vs Mt Michael for the title.  Hartington CC was also excellent around that time.  

15 hours ago, rr52 said:

Not against a high school shot clock but not sure how forcing a bad team to shoot more makes the game better? What are you trying to accomplish by going to a shot clock? If it's making the game more entertaining for the fan that is the wrong reason, I believe. It needs to be done to make the game itself better. Could maybe see Classes A, B, C-1 try it experimentally and see how it works. Heard that it costs $5,000/basket. And like huskerpapa said there are other concerns which includes the officiating/running it part. There is already a shortage of basketball refs and having Craig the service tech from the local pivot dealership downtown may not be the best answer. And as soon as he messes up once the opposing fans will be watching the rest of the night and let him know when he does it again.

I agree with a lot of what you said but the reality is that where the game is at today we need a shot clock. Maybe just try it C1, B, A like you said but we aren't doing the kids any favors by not having one. In our state, if the game is above a 10 point lead with less than 4 minutes left, as long as the winning team can make free throws the game is practically over, they can just space it out and dribble out the clock for minutes on minutes and it is absolutely brutal.

16 hours ago, rr52 said:

Heard that it costs $5,000/basket. And like huskerpapa said there are other concerns which includes the officiating/running it part. There is already a shortage of basketball refs and having Craig the service tech from the local pivot dealership downtown may not be the best answer. 

Tim Miles pointed out that North Dakota and South Dakota have already implemented a shot clock in high school—and its working well.  And if they can do it, why can’t Nebraska?

Seems like a fair point.

Edited by Swan88

I'm not fan of the shot clock in high school.  I don't think it is really needed.  I always felt if you have good enough guards to stall for 32 minutes (which is very tough to do) your guards are good enough to score against teams.  I don't like changes the rules of the game.  To me, running the ball in football is boring, so we should put a rule in for teams to only pass the football. If a team is leading down the stretch and they have the discipline to run out the clock and hit their free throws to win the game, than so be it. I have watched a lot of high school basketball over the years and rarely see a game where a team is stalling.  

If we implemented the shot clock, i believe it would lower scoring especially in the smaller divisions...Remember the shot clock is ultimately a six defender, while it might increase possesions, the possessions it affects will result in less than optimal shots...

When they implemented the shot clock in the NCAA, scoring went down, when they lowered it from 45 to 35, scoring went down...when they lowered it from 35 to 30, scoring ticked up, but they also emphasized freedom of movement, so I would say that you can't truly attribute the most recent shot clock change to the increase in scoring.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Swan88 said:

Tim Miles pointed out that North Dakota and South Dakota have already implemented a shot clock in high school—and its working well.  And if they can do it, why can’t Nebraska?

Seems like a fair point.

Is this an opinion or are there facts to back it up? Like I said I'm not against it. Just present solid evidence that it helps the game of basketball and isn't for making the "fan experience" better.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

It with out a doubt increases the quality of basketball. I’m w @Huskerpapa though just do it in classes A n B at first 

Sorry but I still have serious doubt. I don’t see anything wrong with the high school game being different. You can only play fast if you are good and not everyone playing in Nebraska meets that criteria. We don’t have a rash of stall ball overwhelming  the state so what are you trying to fix?

Then you have to deal with the real world. I’ve done no research but someone on here said $5000 a basket. Lots of class B & A schools  (and lots of smaller) play JV games at the same time in different gyms. We are up to $20,000 now and finding people to work the freshman, sophomore, JV and varsity games competently would be a logistical nightmare for AD’s. We do not need to give uninformed high school fans something to yell when they get past their  repertoire of “three seconds!! and “Call it both ways!!!”

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

Sorry but I still have serious doubt. I don’t see anything wrong with the high school game being different. You can only play fast if you are good and not everyone playing in Nebraska meets that criteria. We don’t have a rash of stall ball overwhelming  the state so what are you trying to fix?

Then you have to deal with the real world. I’ve done no research but someone on here said $5000 a basket. Lots of class B & A schools  (and lots of smaller) play JV games at the same time in different gyms. We are up to $20,000 now and finding people to work the freshman, sophomore, JV and varsity games competently would be a logistical nightmare for AD’s. We do not need to give uninformed high school fans something to yell when they get past their  repertoire of “three seconds!! and “Call it both ways!!!”

I don't necessarily disagree, but then how do they do it in the Dakota's?

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but then how do they do it in the Dakota's?

I don't know. I've not watched a game in South Dakota since they've instituted the clock. Do you know how long the rule has been in place there? I suppose like most things, it probably started out pretty rough and got better. I still think the "no clock" gives high school basketball a little something special in the way of being different.

10 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't know. I've not watched a game in South Dakota since they've instituted the clock. Do you know how long the rule has been in place there? I suppose like most things, it probably started out pretty rough and got better. I still think the "no clock" gives high school basketball a little something special in the way of being different.

There seems to ba alot of articles out on the web concerning adding a shot clock in high school basketball. here are a few. the last article I posted here is from Wisconsin, They play two 18 minutes halfes. http://espn991.com/how-35-seconds-changed-high-school-basketball-in-south-dakota/

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/high-schools/2017/06/22/wiaa-approves-shot-clock-basketball/418077001/

Edited by Bugeaters1

Interesting article in the LJS today.  The focus is on Akol Arop and there are some very positive comments about his play within the article.  But I thought I would pull this nugget out of the piece:

Chubick’s son and assistant coach, Bruce Jr., played at Nebraska during the Huskers’ heydays in the early to mid 1990s. The former Super-Stater from Atkinson West Holt has been disappointed with NU’s lack of recruiting in Omaha in recent years, but is encouraged by the Huskers landing Akol Arop and their scholarship offers to Millard North sophomore shooting guard Hunter Sallis and Bellevue West sophomore point guard Chucky Hepburn.

“Better late than never,” Chubick Jr. said.

I still believe the Chubick's are a bit pis*** off about the recruitment of Aguek Arop.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/future-husker-arop-shows-his-skills-in-leading-creighton-prep/article_1d8ee86b-e4d7-5c8f-b55a-7afe1114fd27.html

Edited by Huskerpapa

26 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Interesting article in the LJS today.  The focus is on Akol Arop and there is some very positive comments about his play within the article.  But I thought I would pull this nugget out of the piece:

Chubick’s son and assistant coach, Bruce Jr., played at Nebraska during the Huskers’ heydays in the early to mid 1990s. The former Super-Stater from Atkinson West Holt has been disappointed with NU’s lack of recruiting in Omaha in recent years, but is encouraged by the Huskers landing Akol Arop and their scholarship offers to Millard North sophomore shooting guard Hunter Sallis and Bellevue West sophomore point guard Chucky Hepburn.

“Better late than never,” Chubick Jr. said.

I still believe the Chubick's are a bit pis*** off about the recruitment of Aguek Arop.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/future-husker-arop-shows-his-skills-in-leading-creighton-prep/article_1d8ee86b-e4d7-5c8f-b55a-7afe1114fd27.html

Sounds and looks like we made the right decision on Aguek anyway.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, wordyginters said:

Played against Zabel in HS - - a man amongst boys.  They had another guy who has also tough, Claus?  Klaus?  Clouse?  If I recall, Fairbury got jobbed a little bit in the state tourney, late semi final game, and then turned around and had to play Killer Kane and that rugged 1-3-1 early on Sat morn vs Mt Michael for the title.  Hartington CC was also excellent around that time.  

Larry Klause was the guard from Fairbury that played with Zabel. My old Fraternity brother Tom Vlach led Cedar Catholic over Mt. Michael the following year... speaking of players from that era do you remember All-Staters Randy Edwards or Jim Placke from Superior? Both of them went on to play at Hastings College. 

15 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Didn't Bruce used to post on HHC and then quit or am I misremembering?

you are not misremembering.  He was here for a few days after Miles was hired and posted under the handle Chubrock. Not sure if any of his posts still exist though.