Nebraska High School Basketball (18-19)

Huskerpapa

5 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have seen Donovan play a game this season but have not seen Akol, Chucky, Hunter or Matthew Mor play this season.  Has anyone watched a game played by any of these players this season?

Hunter Sallis reminds me of JR Strowbridge but with a little more length. He can elevate and shoot over people on a pull up jumper. Shot from deep does not look smooth but it goes in. I could see him with some work and maturity becoming an athletic defender. Still looks like a Soph as a ball handler but will get better.

Akol just fills up the stat line quietly. I was impressed how unselfish he is. A lot of potential there that is for sure.

Matthew Mors is starting to fill out getting bigger and stronger. Nice shooter, very competitive and is more athletic than you think he is. Reminds me of Kanon Koster (Kearney High) but bigger and better.

Edited by Navin R. Johnson

54 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Matthew Mors is starting to fill out getting bigger and stronger. Nice shooter, very competitive and is more athletic than you think he is. Reminds me of Kanon Koster (Kearney High) but bigger and better.

My wife’s cousin goes to school with him and is fairly good friends with him. Says he’s wisconsin bound but I hope we put the leg work in to atleast make it a tough decision. 

On 11/29/2018 at 8:20 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

So how is Aurora in C-1 for football, and B for Basketball. I know that  they got tired of being beat in football in B. But shouldn't they be C-1 in all sports. 

Because they are classified in far different ways.  Tired of getting beat?  They had an amazing class B football program for being at the bottom of the enrollment and giving up massive enrollment differences against those at the top.  

On 12/1/2018 at 1:13 PM, Handy Johnson said:

Superior was 62nd out of 64 class B schools when I played and Aurora was always a bully. Loved that gym though...

Oddly, I played there every home game and preferred the smaller gyms.  Was a little better for my 3 point stroke for some reason.  It was and still is an amazing gym.  It was certainly ahead of its time as high school gyms go.  

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

Oddly, I played there every home game and preferred the smaller gyms.  Was a little better for my 3 point stroke for some reason.  It was and still is an amazing gym.  It was certainly ahead of its time as high school gyms go.  

Didn’t Kearny St. and Hastings College square off there from time to time? Worst gym hands down: Grand Island Central Catholic.

45 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Didn’t Kearny St. and Hastings College square off there from time to time? Worst gym hands down: Grand Island Central Catholic.

The old Hastings St. Cecilia gym was bad. Guide Rock's gym was a concrete floor was tile on top. What gym are you asking about where Hastings and Kearney State played?

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, B-town hoopsfan said:

My wife’s cousin goes to school with him and is fairly good friends with him. Says he’s wisconsin bound but I hope we put the leg work in to atleast make it a tough decision. 

Why Wisconsin, is he good at flopping and does he enjoy basketball that is painful to watch?

51 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The old Hastings St. Cecilia gym was bad. Guide Rock's gym was a concrete floor was tile on top. What gym are you asking about where Hastings and Kearney State played?

Aurora, I know they played there, just can’t recall how often. And yes St Cecilia was bad. It was an old parquet floor and the squares were wildly uneven.

30 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Aurora, I know they played there, just can’t recall how often. And yes St Cecilia was bad. It was an old parquet floor and the squares were wildly uneven.

I can only remember once. earlier 80's

31 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I never understood the wood below the glass on the backboards at St Cecilia.

13 hours ago, colhusker said:

The old if you can't play basketball go to Hastings comes to mind

Then the Hastings College students would chant back at us Loper fans, "It's alright, it's okay, you'll all work for us someday."

Followed up by Loper fans chanting, "Hey Hastings, thanks for Bart!" (in reference to former Bronco then Loper Bart Kofoed who transferred from Hastings to Kearney St.) Little did we know at that time that Kofoed would go on to play in the NBA. 

15 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Yes, I can't remember if just once.  Think it was a postseason matchup of some sort if memory serves.  At the time, it was said that Aurora has the largest gym between Devaney Center and Coors Event Center in Boulder.  

You guys have no clue what a bad gym looks like.  In the 70's I had the pleasure of playing in some real doozy's.  Our team made a road trip up north one year and played a consolidated school at a gym in Volin SD.  It was almost as cold inside the gym as it was outside.  The floor was slick and the walls had cardboard boxes attached to them to help with acoustics.  Good lord that was a bad place. 

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

Then the Hastings College students would chant back at us Loper fans, "It's alright, it's okay, you'll all work for us someday."

Followed up by Loper fans chanting, "Hey Hastings, thanks for Bart!" (in reference to former Bronco then Loper Bart Kofoed who transferred from Hastings to Kearney St.) Little did we know at that time that Kofoed would go on to play in the NBA. 

There was another player in the early 80's who transferred from Hastings to Kearney. Think it was Gregg Kay.  We always loved singing "Going to Kansas City" at them too.

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

The cheer I remember was "cigarette ashes, cigarette butts, we got Hastings by the nuts, pull Kearney pull!"  Also not a surprise that Kofoed ruined his NBA career with one punch. (to a teammates face)

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

If I recall didn't Kofoed get his start (pre NBA) playing with the now defunct Omaha Racers?

He played a year in Europe but that was between NBA years. He started Utah and played for maybe 2 or 3 teams after that. The only year he was at the Racer was after and he was an assistant coach to Thibault.