Nebraska High School Basketball (18-19)

Huskerpapa

The season starts this evening.  I thought I would start this topic for those wanting to provide head-ups regarding upcoming games, post-game reviews and general discussion.  We have two players who will be playing for the Huskers, and two that we are recruiting.  Many other players are certainly worth watching.  Enjoy the season. 

I live very near NorthStar and will be taking in as many of their games as possible.  My old home town is also in the preseason ratings, so for me, it will be an entertaining season.

Here are the Lincoln Journal Star Rankings

Class A

1. Bellevue West (20-7) | 3 (returning starters)

2. Creighton Prep (26-1) | 2

3. Millard North (12-12) | 4

4. Kearney (18-7) | 2

5. Omaha Central (24-3) | 3

6. Omaha Westside (11-13) | 3

7. Omaha Bryan (20-6) | 3

8. Lincoln North Star (12-13) | 2

9. Lincoln East (24-2) | 1

10. Elkhorn South (12-13) | 1

RS -- Returning starters

Class B

1. Omaha Skutt (25-4) | 3

2. York (27-1) | 4

3. Lincoln Pius X (16-9) | 2

4. Bennington (24-4) | 2

5. Seward (14-9) | 5

6. Aurora (22-5) | 2

7. Omaha Roncalli (19-6) | 4

8. Scottsbluff (18-9) | 2

9. Mount Michael (17-8) | 4

10. Blair (12-11) | 4

Class C

1. Lincoln Christian (20-8) | 3

2. Adams Central (15-10) | 4

3. Bishop Neumann (14-10) | 3

4. Wahoo (27-2) | 0

5. North Bend Central (22-4) | 4

6. Boys Town (15-9) | 3

7. Grand Island CC (20-7) | 3

8. Cozad (18-6) | 5

9. Syracuse (17-10) | 3

10. Auburn (16-10) | 3

Just now, Bugeaters1 said:

So how is Aurora in C-1 for football, and B for Basketball. I know that  they got tired of being beat in football in B. But shouldn't they be C-1 in all sports. 

There are a lot of borderline teams that could be C in one sport and B in another.  Some switches ever two years or so.

Fairbury softball was one this year that was in C last year and this year moved to B.  They are in C1 for most other sports.

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

There are a lot of borderline teams that could be C in one sport and B in another.  Some switches ever two years or so.

Fairbury softball was one this year that was in C last year and this year moved to B.  They are in C1 for most other sports.

I don't think that is right, if you are C-1 for football you should be in C-1 for all sports. I work with a guy who drives the bus for Football and Basketball. He told me that Aurora was tired of getting beat by the bigger class B schools in football. what crook, suck it up and play ball like the rest of the teams.

Here is the enrollment figures for 2018-2019.

https://nsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.com/textfile/about/1819enroll.pdf

Edited by Bugeaters1

Aurora had the chance to opt up to class B but their school board voted (3-3, needed 4-2 majority to opt up) to stay in C-1.  This vote took place in November of 2017.  And 1 reason they participate in C-1 in football and B in basketball is because some smaller schools co-op football but go back on their own for basketball. With the increase in teams for basketball, teams will get bumped in class. And unfortunately I heard that the Hampton boys basketball team is forfeiting their game tomorrow night because of low participation numbers. 

Edited by rr52

51 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I don't think that is right, if you are C-1 for football you should be in C-1 for all sports. I work with a guy who drives the bus for Football and Basketball. He told me that Aurora was tired of getting beat by the bigger class B schools in football. what crook, suck it up and play ball like the rest of the teams.

Not sure what school your co-worker drives bus for, but he is uniformed. 

13 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Very uniformed these sorts of things happen all the time in the lower classes

Just because it happens all the time doesn’t mean he’s uninformed. His claim is why they went to C-1 in football not that it was a special occurrence. They, like all schools, could have petitioned to stay in Class B (which would have been honored by the state) and they chose not to. Those are the facts. The bus driver is claiming the reason behind that decision is board members didn’t want to play larger class B schools. I don’t personally have any evidence showing that is what happened but looking at how the events unfolded it seems highly plausible. 

Edited by Dean Smith

10 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Not sure what school your co-worker drives bus for, but he is uniformed. 

8 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Very uniformed these sorts of things happen all the time in the lower classes

8 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Just because it happens all the time doesn’t mean he’s uniformed.

Sorry to wear a police uniform that I don't own, but I think the word all of you are looking for is uninformed. 

Unless being uniformed involves powerful blinders on the kit...

21 minutes ago, Noah121 said:

Sorry to wear a police uniform that I don't own, but I think the word all of you are looking for is uninformed. 

Unless being uniformed involves powerful blinders on the kit...

I was waiting for someone to pick up on this.

Honestly, I was hoping it would happen a couple more times; I was getting a kick out of it. ;)

23 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Here are the Lincoln Journal Star Rankings

Class A

1. Bellevue West (20-7) | 3 (returning starters)

2. Creighton Prep (26-1) | 2

3. Millard North (12-12) | 4

4. Kearney (18-7) | 2

5. Omaha Central (24-3) | 3

6. Omaha Westside (11-13) | 3

7. Omaha Bryan (20-6) | 3

8. Lincoln North Star (12-13) | 2

9. Lincoln East (24-2) | 1

10. Elkhorn South (12-13) | 1

RS -- Returning starters

Class B

1. Omaha Skutt (25-4) | 3

2. York (27-1) | 4

3. Lincoln Pius X (16-9) | 2

4. Bennington (24-4) | 2

5. Seward (14-9) | 5

6. Aurora (22-5) | 2

7. Omaha Roncalli (19-6) | 4

8. Scottsbluff (18-9) | 2

9. Mount Michael (17-8) | 4

10. Blair (12-11) | 4

Class C

1. Lincoln Christian (20-8) | 3

2. Adams Central (15-10) | 4

3. Bishop Neumann (14-10) | 3

4. Wahoo (27-2) | 0

5. North Bend Central (22-4) | 4

6. Boys Town (15-9) | 3

7. Grand Island CC (20-7) | 3

8. Cozad (18-6) | 5

9. Syracuse (17-10) | 3

10. Auburn (16-10) | 3

Omaha Roncalli is way to low.  They bring back 90% of their scoring, and Jack Dotzler is a smarter basketball player than Chucky Hepburn.  They also have 3 sport athlete Alex Rodgers who is D1 talent for baseball.  They are still a talented basketball team even without Dotzler handling the point(Injury in football).  With the Orr brothers along with Taiden Red they still will be a threat before Dotzler gets back to win some ball games.

16 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Here is the enrollment figures for 2018-2019.

https://nsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.com/textfile/about/1819enroll.pdf

The NSAA choose to change the classification system for football only for the current 2 year cycle. These changes came after a committee studied ways to try and decrease the enrollment gaps between the top and bottom schools in classes. Class B has always had the largest disparity because of the population makeup of our state.  The changes included classifying for football based on a school's male only enrollment and if it was between a certain range, without regard for how many teams would be in each class as has been done in the past and is still the case in other sports. So these are the enrollment numbers used for football https://nsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.com/textfile/about/1819boys.pdf  (Aurora was the 3rd largest C-1 school).

Other sports have not changed their classification systems yet so they are still based off of total school enrollment, changes could be happening in the future.  Under the current system it is extremely common for teams to be in different classes for different sports and always has been. Some sports have 6 classes (Football, Basketball, Volleyball) while other sports have 4 classes (Wrestling, Track, X-Country, etc.) I believe baseball only has 2 and softball 3 classes. Other reasons include a different number of male only schools (Mt. Michael, Creighton Prep) to all female schools (Marian, Mercy, Duchesne).

Schools can opt up classes in certain sports and not other. (NSAA rules) Sounds like half the Aurora school board wanted to and the other half did not.  

8 hours ago, big red22 said:

Omaha Roncalli is way to low.  They bring back 90% of their scoring, and Jack Dotzler is a smarter basketball player than Chucky Hepburn.  They also have 3 sport athlete Alex Rodgers who is D1 talent for baseball.  They are still a talented basketball team even without Dotzler handling the point(Injury in football).  With the Orr brothers along with Taiden Red they still will be a threat before Dotzler gets back to win some ball games.

Helped coach the Orr boys when they were real young. Jake had a great jump shot as a 2nd grader. Looking forward to see how he does in HS