Watson’s Free Throws vs. Clemson

bkamler

They were dead center and he looked like someone who expected to drill them and boy did we need them. 

However I was flabbergasted when the announcer said that Glen had only shot five  free throws this season.

That’s less than one free per game in the first six games which for a point guard that plays thirty minutes a game is perplexing. In my opinion that will need to change if we are to continue having success.

3 minutes ago, bkamler said:

They were dead center and he looked like someone who expected to drill them and boy did we need them. 

However I was flabbergasted when the announcer said that Glen had only shot five  free throws this season.

That’s less than one free per game in the first six games which for a point guard that plays thirty minutes a game is perplexing. In my opinion that will need to change if we are to continue having success.

Two things...

1.  Glynn doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls.  I believe it is because of his size and most people think that it's a clean "block" when there is body down below the block.

2.  Glynn doesn't have to shoot a lot of free throws because everyone on our team can drive.  It isn't like he is the only driver and kicks out to shooters.  We can drive from positions 1-5.

Glynn has matured and I believe he has a true sense of what the team needs, what skills are needed and when they are needed.  Note that he steps up on offense when it is required, otherwise he appears satisfied running the offense and playing hard on defense.  I join Coach Miles on his praise and appreciation of Glynn.

Plus, all of our prior games were blow outs, so no one has had to foul down the stretch with the point guard handling the ball.  And it seems like we have had way fewer desperation-end of shot clock possessions where Glynn has to drive and hope to draw a foul.  Offense running better so he is distributing or shooting open jumpers. 

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Two things...

1.  Glynn doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on a lot of calls.  I believe it is because of his size and most people think that it's a clean "block" when there is body down below the block.

2.  Glynn doesn't have to shoot a lot of free throws because everyone on our team can drive.  It isn't like he is the only driver and kicks out to shooters.  We can drive from positions 1-5.

Also, adding to point no. 1, because of his size, he tends to jump/float away from the defender/shot blocker in order to get a clean shot away most of the time.  This, IMO, leads the Stooges to think there is never any significant contact because both players are moving in the same direction after he launches and there's not such an obvious collision like there is when the offensive players jumps toward the hoop through the defender.

I'm not criticizing him, just seems he wants to make sure he gets the shot away because of the results of point no. 1.

Glynn's FT rate is remarkably low this year.  Glynn has never really drawn much contact over the years so I'd chalk a lot of it up to the lack of close games played by us where he or Palmer would typically be who teams would foul at the end of the game to extend. 

Given how much wear and tear Glynn already takes and how everyone is shooting it makes a lot more sense for Palmer to be the one who is driving the lane and kicking out to Watson for a spot up 3 than the other way around.

14 hours ago, bkamler said:

Was as surprised as you when I heard that and agree we need him at the line more.