Borchardt

Section_316

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I just went back and watched.

First foul was the Thomas tussle. That's definitely one for having to guard that guy.

Second foul was reach in on a switch

Third was a touch call on a closeout on a guard

Fourth was tangling weirdly with Simms (could have been a no call) while Thomas was on the bench.

Thomas is potentially the least mobile post they have. Wouldn't Roby have the advantage on him offensively where operating from the outside where if Thomas doesn't follow he's open to shoot and if Thomas does he can drive on him?

It seems like you're projecting what you think might be or should be happening with Roby than what is actually happening with him.

It's possible I could be wrong about the offensive side but I will say defensively Thomas was 7-8 for 16pts in 22 min he was really good and really strong and we did not play good D vs him. And Roby was guarding him almost every minute he was out there.

30 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

It's possible I could be wrong about the offensive side but I will say defensively Thomas was 7-8 for 16pts in 22 min he was really good and really strong and we did not play good D vs him. And Roby was guarding him almost every minute he was out there.

Are you trying to say that Roby wasn't defending him strongly because he didn't want to pick up fouls or because Thomas was too much for him to handle?

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Are you trying to say that Roby wasn't defending him strongly because he didn't want to pick up fouls or because Thomas was too much for him to handle?

My opinion is that Thomas was just too big and strong.  There were several imstancea that he just bullied and backed Roby down, even when Clemson wasn't able to get him the ball.  The biggest fault I would find is not in Roby's defense but in Nebraska not giving Roby any help on defense.  We are quick and athletic enough to double occasionally in the post and then recover on the perimeter.  It's definitely a pick your poison approach but I would rather risk giving up an extra 3 here and there over Roby getting into quick foul trouble, then playing tentative while also being limited to only 18 minutes a game.

7 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

My opinion is that Thomas was just too big and strong.  There were several imstancea that he just bullied and backed Roby down, even when Clemson wasn't able to get him the ball.  The biggest fault I would find is not in Roby's defense but in Nebraska not giving Roby any help on defense.  We are quick and athletic enough to double occasionally in the post and then recover on the perimeter.  It's definitely a pick your poison approach but I would rather risk giving up an extra 3 here and there over Roby getting into quick foul trouble, then playing tentative while also being limited to only 18 minutes a game.

This is our defensive scheme and it's going to be a problem when we face guys like Thomas or Watkins or whoever. Yeah Thomas shot a high percentage but he's not the focus of that offense and he wasn't the one that was going to beat us. He had 8 shots + 2 FTs.  Meanwhile we held the rest of the team to 42.2% overall and more importantly just a 46.6% eFG%. It took Mitchell 10 shots to score 13. It took Reed 14 shots to score 15.  That probably doesn't happen with a patient team like Clemson when you're bringing in double team help.  This defense works.

It seems like Roby could guard well enough in the post without fouling and when he was beat he was smart enough to not get beat twice by fouling. The issue in this game, and many other games, is that he picks up fouls reaching in and it's the unnecessary fouls that force him to have to hold back in the post at points and/or keeps him out of the game.

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

This is our defensive scheme and it's going to be a problem when we face guys like Thomas or Watkins or whoever. Yeah Thomas shot a high percentage but he's not the focus of that offense and he wasn't the one that was going to beat us. He had 8 shots + 2 FTs.  Meanwhile we held the rest of the team to 42.2% overall and more importantly just a 46.6% eFG%. It took Mitchell 10 shots to score 13. It took Reed 14 shots to score 15.  That probably doesn't happen with a patient team like Clemson when you're bringing in double team help.  This defense works.

It seems like Roby could guard well enough in the post without fouling and when he was beat he was smart enough to not get beat twice by fouling. The issue in this game, and many other games, is that he picks up fouls reaching in and it's the unnecessary fouls that force him to have to hold back in the post at points and/or keeps him out of the game.

He's gotten called a couple of times on the new moving contact calls too. The refs will quit calling them as the season goes on, just like they've ignored every other new rule once the calendar flips to January. That should help keep him in the game.

33 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

He's gotten called a couple of times on the new moving contact calls too. The refs will quit calling them as the season goes on, just like they've ignored every other new rule once the calendar flips to January. That should help keep him in the game.

Wildcard with this theory is that it is Nebraska and Roby - they'll probably continue calling them on him.

Also, the so-called 'star' players don't have to worry about it much at all.  I closely watched Happ last night and he should have been called for several fouls while setting picks.  He sets up perfectly fine, but then eases his hip out as the defender is going by.  By not 'throwing' his hip out, it doesn't look as bad, but it accomplishes the same thing.  One time, he even tried to impede the defender by flailing his arm out.

9 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Those announcers were a good representation of the current state of ESPN.

Shitting on ESPN is en vogue recently -and much of it is well deserved- but it never really bothered me until this year.  In both football and basketball, their 2nd and 3rd string announcer teams are just BAD (being Nebraska in both football and basketball this year, we only get the 3rd string teams).  They simply do not know the most basic rules of the game, they interpret the rules they do know completely wrong and just overall say bonehead comments and move on to the next play not realizing how bad their commentary is.

ESPN's 1st string announcers are still great though in my opinion.

All of the hot take/screaming head shows that comprise their non-game programming are easy to ignore, so they don't influence my opinion

*  Agree that the announcers on ESPN are going downhill.  In part it could be due to the cost cutting measures ESPN has gone through.  They don't hire the best, because they don't have to hire the best.  They know fans will watch even if they put a couple of baboons on air (no disrespect to baboon's intended).  Fans can complain, but as long as people tune in and advertising dollars are not affected, ESPN has no incentive to raise the quality of the announcing teams. 

* Isaiah Roby is an interesting case study on defensive foul calls.  I swear, I see more touch fouls called on Isaiah then any player in the country.  I still opine that many of the calls are made because the referee's anticipate contact rather than actually see contact.  The reach fouls are what really gets him into trouble, and oftentimes contact is light at best.  Of course getting a call because you were trying to remove an intentional kick to your face, neck and rib cage is an egregious act that apparently is worthy of a technical.

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Both and if he isn't going to be an effective defender even if someone else couldn't do better it becomes unnecessary to take the risk of being more likely to foul/ be aggressive enough to play good D.

28 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Both and if he isn't going to be an effective defender even if someone else couldn't do better it becomes unnecessary to take the risk of being more likely to foul/ be aggressive enough to play good D.

I very much disagree for both the sake of our team and for his own personal growth. We need him to defend college centers by himself because we excel as a team not helping off of shooters. Thomas is a pretty good college player but he's not elite and he's certainly no NBA player. Roby needs to come out with his big boy pants and limit the self-inflicted errors every night because the dudes in the NBA are going to be just as big and a lot more skilled. He needs to work on his weaknesses, not be protected from them.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I very much disagree for both the sake of our team and for his own personal growth. We need him to defend college centers by himself because we excel as a team not helping off of shooters. Thomas is a pretty good college player but he's not elite and he's certainly no NBA player. Roby needs to come out with his big boy pants and limit the self-inflicted errors every night because the dudes in the NBA are going to be just as big and a lot more skilled. He needs to work on his weaknesses, not be protected from them.

IMO roby should be trying to take the flop/charge on the block. He’s usually smaller than the guy he’s defending so he should get the benefit of the doubt. If he’s gonna pick up a foul anyhow I’d atleast like to see him try to do it taking a charge on the block

Just now, B-town hoopsfan said:

IMO roby should be trying to take the flop/charge on the block. He’s usually smaller than the guy he’s defending so he should get the benefit of the doubt. If he’s gonna pick up a foul anyhow I’d atleast like to see him try to do it taking a charge on the block

I’ve said this many times.  I don’t want him to become a Davison kind of flopper, but if a big guy lowers his shoulder and backs you down, go for it.  That technically is a charge.  What might end up happening is a “no call” and Roby saves himself a foul anyways.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I’ve said this many times.  I don’t want him to become a Davison kind of flopper, but if a big guy lowers his shoulder and backs you down, go for it.  That technically is a charge.  What might end up happening is a “no call” and Roby saves himself a foul anyways.

Couldn’t agree w you more. That’s probably more on roby than it is coaches. As I expect his unwillingness to shoot the three ball is as well

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Couldn’t agree w you more. That’s probably more on roby than it is coaches. As I expect his unwillingness to shoot the three ball is as well

Or it may have to do with the fact we're leading the league in blocked shots.

Around the rim, our guys for the block rather than drawing the charge.

Of course, many of these blocks come from weak side/help defenders, but I doubt we'll see Roby hitting the deck in these instances any time soon.