Borchardt

Section_316

Wow-- what great minutes yesterday! He had a serious impact on that game.

Got me thinking-- The dude played ONE minute in ONE game as a sophomore-- is there any chance for an appeal and an extra year of eligability given to him? Gosh, I wish it was. He has gotten SO much better and has legit size!

Edited by Section_316

41 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Wow-- what great minutes yesterday! He had a serious impact on that game.

Got me thinking-- The dude played ONE minute in ONE game as a sophomore-- is there any chance for an appeal and an extra year of eligability given to him? Gosh, I wish it was. He has gotten SO much better and has legit size!

Mychal 

He's given us some decent minutes...but if we can't find better..that's pretty depressing.

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Borchardt played 1 minute in 1 game in a season when we had a 6’11” freshman, a 6’9” sophomore, and a 6’7” sophomore on the roster, all of whom have since left the program.

Though I thought it was a bad move at the time, I think Miles can be forgiven for not expecting all that attrition.

Yeah, that and the fact that Tanner has completely transformed his body to be in legit Div. 1-type basketball shape.

It could certainly be argued that TB's minutes vs. Missouri State and Clemson were both pivotal to picking up Ws in those games.  Heiman has held his own as well--way more physical than I expected.  The two of them >> Jordy's minutes in my opinion, and that's pretty surprising.  They don't make mental errors and play better defense.  I trust both guys when they are in the game.  

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Borchardt played 1 minute in 1 game in a season when we had a 6’11” freshman, a 6’9” sophomore, and a 6’7” sophomore on the roster, all of whom have since left the program.

Though I thought it was a bad move at the time, I think Miles can be forgiven for not expecting all that attrition.

Didn't he not play/ leave the team for a season? Either way I'm sure he's enjoying his senior season and maybe wouldn't want to play next year anyway. Definitely don't know anything but when you didn't for basketball to be your life going into college it might be fine by him to end it after 4 years?

3 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Didn't he not play/ leave the team for a season? Either way I'm sure he's enjoying his senior season and maybe wouldn't want to play next year anyway. Definitely don't know anything but when you didn't for basketball to be your life going into college it might be fine by him to end it after 4 years?

I believe he did leave for a while, yes.

But I'm not sure when or for how long.

I am not advocating anything mind you, I am just reporting something I heard (by the way, last year I was the one who said that if Roby wasn't starting, that will tell me we have a damn good team).  Now, the discussion was how we can get more minutes for Isaiah and also find a way to allow him to play more aggressively.  The thought was floated to let Isaiah sit the first few minutes of the game and allow him to come off the bench.  

I am not a fan of that move.  I think that can be a huge demotivator to a player that is on the cusp of something great.  BUT, if that subject is floated in the coaches offices, it may be Tanner who would step into that "starting" role.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not advocating anything mind you, I am just reporting something I heard (by the way, last year I was the one who said that if Roby wasn't starting, that will tell me we have a damn good team).  Now, the discussion was how we can get more minutes for Isaiah and also find a way to allow him to play more aggressively.  The thought was floated to let Isaiah sit the first few minutes of the game and allow him to come off the bench.  

I am not a fan of that move.  I think that can be a huge demotivator to a player that is on the cusp of something great.  BUT, if that subject is floated in the coaches offices, it may be Tanner who would step into that "starting" role.

Whatever Miles is doing to keep him out of foul trouble is not working. Yesterday he specifically put Roby in and out exactly when their good big guy was in. I don't understand that if you don't want someone to foul the worst possible move is to put that player on the other teams elite and physical post player. Am I wrong because $2+ million in coaches salary says otherwise but I don't get it.

33 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Whatever Miles is doing to keep him out of foul trouble is not working. Yesterday he specifically put Roby in and out exactly when their good big guy was in. I don't understand that if you don't want someone to foul the worst possible move is to put that player on the other teams elite and physical post player. Am I wrong because $2+ million in coaches salary says otherwise but I don't get it.

Roby had 4 fouls in the game. How many of them were because he was fighting Thomas for a rebound or because Thomas was posting him up?

Palmer and Roby seem to be getting a reputation unfairly with some of the whistles that go against them. That ticky-tack foul on the jump shooter could be called every time. I've watched our shooters get their hands hit countless times the past couple years, yet we don't get the calls. And Palmer's offensive foul when he dished it to Cope was AWFUL. Thomas was moving and slid under as Palmer was in the air. The announcers, right on cue, talked about the "great" defensive play by Thomas, and all I wanted to do was throw up in disgust by the putrid call.

His last one was for trying to get a rebound against Thomas (bad call though) his first one was for getting kick in the face by Thomas (doesn't really count) and he definitely had to let him go on at least one I think two basket late in the game. I also just think he would be able to score better on whoever the other guy was right?

Edited by cjbowbros

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Roby had 4 fouls in the game. How many of them were because he was fighting Thomas for a rebound or because Thomas was posting him up?

Well, his first one wasn't a foul, when he got kicked by that goon.  His second one looked like it was maybe a foul, if you're feeling really gracious towards the official.  The third was for getting a finger on the forearm of a jump shooter - it wasn't clear from a high definition big screen if there was actually contact.  The fourth was from the goon (correction - it was the backup goon) pushing him out of the way on a rebound, he did absolutely nothing that warranted a foul on the play, it was one of the worst calls I've seen.  I can't believe the officials went so far as to call crap like that and then at the end didn't complete the job and decide the game for Clemson.  Some things just don't make sense.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

5 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Palmer and Roby seem to be getting a reputation unfairly with some of the whistles that go against them. That ticky-tack foul on the jump shooter could be called every time. I've watched our shooters get their hands hit countless times the past couple years, yet we don't get the calls. And Palmer's offensive foul when he dished it to Cope was AWFUL. Thomas was moving and slid under as Palmer was in the air. The announcers, right on cue, talked about the "great" defensive play by Thomas, and all I wanted to do was throw up in disgust by the putrid call.

Those announcers were a good representation of the current state of ESPN.

6 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Well, his first one wasn't a foul, when he got kicked by that goon.  His second one looked like it was maybe a foul, if you're feeling really gracious towards the official.  The third was for getting a finger on the forearm of a jump shooter - it wasn't clear from a high definition big screen if there was actually contact.  The fourth was from the goon pushing him out of the way on a rebound, he did absolutely nothing that warranted a foul on the play, it was one of the worst calls I've seen.  I can't believe the officials went so far as to call crap like that and then at the end didn't complete the job and decide the game for Clemson.  Some things just don't make sense.

It's been pretty incredible how many bad calls he has been called for. Charges should not exist see the last podcast episode. But also if Roby isn't called for that foul Thomas has a free lay-up and that doesn't disprove the other two points I made.

Edited by cjbowbros

Just now, cjbowbros said:

His last one was his first one was for getting kick in the face by Thomas (doesn't really count) and he definitely had to let him go on at least one I think two basket late in the game. I also just think he would be able to score better on whoever the other guy was right?

I just went back and watched.

First foul was the Thomas tussle. That's definitely one for having to guard that guy.

Second foul was reach in on a switch

Third was a touch call on a closeout on a guard

Fourth was tangling weirdly with Simms (could have been a no call) while Thomas was on the bench.

Thomas is potentially the least mobile post they have. Wouldn't Roby have the advantage on him offensively where operating from the outside where if Thomas doesn't follow he's open to shoot and if Thomas does he can drive on him?

It seems like you're projecting what you think might be or should be happening with Roby than what is actually happening with him.