uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 7 - B1G/ACC Challenge: @ Clemson

uneblinstu

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

For Clemson? Who is this?

You had me on Ames, Iowa and I was thinking ISU.  Cameron Lard put up 12/8 for the Cyclones last season and hasn't seen the floor this year due to his 7-game suspension.  When he comes back, he's not going to be the starter.  And it's certainly possible he would remain not the starter all of next season.

He's already missed most of the 1st semester games this year.  Transfer at semester and be eligible roughly this time next year.  Does it make sense for him to transfer at this point?  And if he did, would we want a 6'9", 230# beast who has some weed issues?

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You had me on Ames, Iowa and I was thinking ISU.  Cameron Lard put up 12/8 for the Cyclones last season and hasn't seen the floor this year due to his 7-game suspension.  When he comes back, he's not going to be the starter.  And it's certainly possible he would remain not the starter all of next season.

He's already missed most of the 1st semester games this year.  Transfer at semester and be eligible roughly this time next year.  Does it make sense for him to transfer at this point?  And if he did, would we want a 6'9", 230# beast who has some weed issues?

Sure, why not...... Nebraska will have Brady Heiman inside & unknowns otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Do you think you can get the 420 laws in the 402 fast tracked? Krystal Gabel for Lincoln Mayor!

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Maybe he only likes weed and has the other issues because he's living in Ames?

Loved the call above on TA's huge 3.   What was great about that shot was TA really looked out of sorts last night, tentative, struggled with the handles, didn't look to be himself.  And then he steps up and flat out nails a huge shot.   Hopefully that will help him, and us, down the road.  I was the most excited for that 3 as any shot in a long time. 

Three quick observations:

• Tanner was HUGE last night. Great minutes, great effort.
  • Best part from JPJ was his unselfishness - he was driving to the hole and looking not just to score, but to dish. He also seems to have gotten the message from Miles about taking better shots
  • Love the rebounding and overall play from Nana. Dude has serious springs and used them to rebound last night. Keep that up and he will earn more minutes.

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Loved the call above on TA's huge 3.   What was great about that shot was TA really looked out of sorts last night, tentative, struggled with the handles, didn't look to be himself.  And then he steps up and flat out nails a huge shot.   Hopefully that will help him, and us, down the road.  I was the most excited for that 3 as any shot in a long time. 

Remember that TA also had the "game winner" with the steal and a bunny earlier in the game. Without that it's not a 2 point margin at the end. ?

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

So the Clemson board has a “Will we get to 15 wins” thread and a “Fire Brownell” thread.  Feels good to see those somewhere else.  ?

Best post from Clemson:  "I never associated the State of Nebraska with quality college basketball, but I hope we don't play anybody else from there."

13 hours ago, hhcdave said:

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

So many thoughts... this is going to be "stream of conscious" so get ready for ADHD City.

1. Since I posted at length after a hugely disappointing loss, I figured I need to come on here after an equally impressive win!!

2. When we got down 4-0 and looked completely outclassed the first minute, was anyone else muttering "here we go again" under your breath? 

3. This team was the better team tonight. Athletically and skillfully. It was pretty obvious from watching. And we didn't even shoot the ball that well - at least in the first half (and especially from downtown).

4. Offensively, after watching us play twice in person in KC, I can tell you with 100% certainty that this was NIGHT AND DAY different. It looked like two completely different teams. There were back cuts... action away from the ball... PASSING around the floor with multiple swings on top... Everything had a purpose. Cuts were nice. Guys were playing as a TEAM with much less SELFISH and UNPRODUCTIVE ISO action that we saw in KC.

5. I'm not kidding, I was shocked to see the offense look how it did. With our effort on the defensive end and athleticism, this can't be emphasized enough. You have to believe this team is at least a little better from downtown than they've been shooting, too.

6. Nana is a baller. I was impressed with him tonight and have been each time I've seen him.

7. I've seen nothing from Harris. Too bad he couldn't redshirt. He certainly has potential.

8. Kudos to Palmer for some UNBELIEVABLE drives and for playing to his strengths. Less outside shots, more action toward the hoop and some BIG TIME strong moves. Two into traffic that made me say "Wow" out loud.

9. Miles deserves an enormous amount of credit, as do his assistants. They were well prepared today. They weren't again Texas Tech. For now (based on sample), I'll say that Tech is a legit Top 15 team and we caught them on a bad night. Perhaps we didn't get prepared as we should because of short turn around. We were 100% unprepared for that game, but the exact opposite was true tonight.

10. On the other side, we had THREE TIMEOUTS when your PF (Copeland) is bringing the ball up the court and about to get trapped. It was 100% obvious what was about to happen (turnover) - where's the time out? Right after that, next position, exact same thing almost happens. No timeout? Then, no action (one of few offensive possessions all night where we stand around) and an obvious shot clock violation or bad shot with around 7 left on shot clock. No timeout there? We had THREE left!!!

11. I said at the time we lost to Tech that we would likely lose to Clemson (Happy to be WRONG) and that we'd have to win BOTH Creighton and OSU to get quality wins. I said we only had one more loss left in our nonconference. I still agree with that - we ESPECIALLY need that win at home against Creighton. Both for Tournament implications but for Miles to slowly win back some of the bandwagoners and recruiting battles within the state. If we go 2-0 in those two games, we are a 2 game over .500 Big 10 season from dancing. Period. 

12. I'd much rather be wondering what seed we're getting on Selection Sunday, NOT if we're going to make it. So let's just win both of the two damn nonconference games, split the first two Big 10 and head into January with only 2 losses on the record and a #18 or so ranking.

13. When will the Athletic Department or retailers start selling some of the cool Husker basketball jerseys/shirts of retro stuff we keep seeing? And when can I finally get a Nebraska Basketball Window sticker with the old school script logo that has the basketball behind it? I had them for years but the prick at Jiffy Lube took it off years ago to put a "next oil change" sticker in its place and I haven't been able to find one on sale in a decade.

14. This win is ENORMOUS for this program. Just HUGE. 

15. They had less than 7,000 people there. Pretty pathetic for their recent basketball pedigree. A nice reminder for those who constantly bitch about our fans.

Feel free to make this its own topic if you think its good enough. These are different writings than my old school report cards from the first 10 years of the site. 

GBR!!!

Nice run down. Great win. 

I was a doom and gloomer going into this game, but that was night and day better than the Tech fiasco. While we stalled at times, offensive movement was way, way better.

The thing that struck me is that even though we played well, I don't think we played near our ceiling. We haven't had all our guys playing well on the same night yet. If that happens, we can play with most anybody. 

Some observations: For a few possessions, Nana wreaked some havoc on the offensive boards, so much so that Brownell was telling one of his players to "block out 25."  On his basket, Borchardt finished with his left hand (without bringing the ball below his shoulders). Thomas' 3 was huge.  I would love to see us get him a few more open looks. I always feel like the ball is going in when he shoots it. I still think James needs to get the ball out of his hands sooner when a driving lane isn't available, but he was very good last night. As for Amir, he got a shot at guarding Reed and had some trouble, but you can just tell he has the tools to be a very good, lockdown-type defender. As the season progresses, I predict we see him make some plays on the defensive end. Let's stick it to Illinois. We owe them for last year's game in Champaign.  

Post game audio notes

• Palmer takes the blame for losing vs Texas Tech by taking himself out of the game with foul trouble
  • MIles notes that the box scores are about dead even and the big play was him blocking that shot and being the first person on the floor to grab the loose ball
  • Copeland in the huddle during the last time out: "WE ARE WINNING THIS GAME! WE ARE WINNING THIS GAME!"  Palmer: "Chill out bro" ?
  • Molinari had the scout on the game
  • Kent: We're back after Nebraska's stunning victory over Clemson. Miles: Stunned?  We lead the whole second half!  Are you stunned Jake? Jake: Nope I'm pumped!

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we should be undefeated for the rest of 2018.

If we can continue to do that thing we did last night that casual fans call “offense” then your spot on. Boy miles coached a good game last night from offensive sets too substitutes IMO. I like that we are trying to get roby involved as a passer and play maker finally too. 

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I get that, and I also get a lot of hesitation because of our history.  My question to all of the doubters...

What more do you need to see?  If we beat Creighton will that do it or will we hear that the Big East is down?  Beat OKST or will it  be that "well they lost to Charlotte."

What will make you a believer?

usually I just see "beat Creighton". 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Best post from Clemson:  "I never associated the State of Nebraska with quality college basketball, but I hope we don't play anybody else from there."

Other than a once-in-a-lifetime run by the Gamecocks, I don't associate South Carolina with much of anything in basketball either. Big on secession, sure. Basketball, not so much.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Post game audio notes

• Palmer takes the blame for losing vs Texas Tech by taking himself out of the game with foul trouble
  • MIles notes that the box scores are about dead even and the big play was him blocking that shot and being the first person on the floor to grab the loose ball
  • Copeland in the huddle during the last time out: "WE ARE WINNING THIS GAME! WE ARE WINNING THIS GAME!"  Palmer: "Chill out bro" ?
  • Molinari had the scout on the game
  • Kent: We're back after Nebraska's stunning victory over Clemson. Miles: Stunned?  We lead the whole second half!  Are you stunned Jake? Jake: Nope I'm pumped!

That was Copeland with the block and hustle on the 'winning' play...

Had a meeting so only got to watch 1st half and last second inbound pass. Sounds like it saved me from cussing outbursts and getting worked up. But hey, I'm okay with that as long as it still ends up in the win column. This is when my lowkey superstitiousness takes over and I think Huskers do better when I don't watch. Then I realize I can't remember things walking from room to room so don't think I have the power to decide the outcomes of Nebraska basketball games.

Adding a few other observations after watching the replay a few minutes ago on ESPNU: 

- Our shooters, specifically Tom Allen, needs to watch that big three that he hit last night.  He took the shot in rhythm.  I have noticed he and others catch the ball, dribble and then hoist the shot.  We are actually good three point shooters when we shoot in rhythm.

- Tanner actually looks much better this year.  For those who do not believe our players develop, Tanner should be on the development exhibit list.  One thing could make Tanner even more intimidating.  He needs to grow out his hair and beard, that would be sweet.

- Thomas is still a goon.  I absolutely cannot believe that skirmish with Roby resulted in a double technical.  It was ludicrous then and it was out-an-out unbelievable watching it the second time.  And then...and then the intentional blow he delivered on Cope towards game end, would have resulted in jail time if it had happened on the streets.  What a thug.

Edited by Huskerpapa