uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 7 - B1G/ACC Challenge: @ Clemson

uneblinstu

32 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

You get a lot of calls right norm but idk about this one. Through the first hand full of games it just doesn’t seem like any of his skills have taken a leap from last year. I do think if he starts taking the catch n shoot 3s instead of trying to dribble no where it will completely change his offensive game 

It's a long season. It's still very early.

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Not sure if we can find him more minutes but if so I’d love to see Nana more.  Love his shot and he showed some

serious athleticism on some rebounds tonight. 

Also, kudos to Tanner. He played some big minutes tonight. If you ask me, he is better than 2017 Jordy. 

Definitely agree on both of these. Nana is a smooth operator, he must have learned that JPJ.

And too bad Tanner doesn't have 1 more season..... he played in 1 game his SOPH season. He's becoming quite useful.

Edited by AuroranHusker

3 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'm a huge fan of the NU script uni's. This one I would definitely want to own!

4 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'm a huge fan of the NU script uni's. This one I would definitely want to own!

I do like the home whites with “Huskers” script circa ‘91, but I don’t recall ever seeing these road jerseys before. It’s not that I DON’T like them, I just preferred the traditional font. Oh well, They can wear old feed sacks as long as they keep winning.

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I do like the home whites with “Huskers” script circa ‘91, but I don’t recall ever seeing these road jerseys before. It’s not that I DON’T like them, I just preferred the traditional font. Oh well, They can wear old feed sacks as long as they keep winning.

This was the first game that these script Nebraska jerseys have ever been used.

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

So many thoughts... this is going to be "stream of conscious" so get ready for ADHD City.

1. Since I posted at length after a hugely disappointing loss, I figured I need to come on here after an equally impressive win!!

2. When we got down 4-0 and looked completely outclassed the first minute, was anyone else muttering "here we go again" under your breath? 

3. This team was the better team tonight. Athletically and skillfully. It was pretty obvious from watching. And we didn't even shoot the ball that well - at least in the first half (and especially from downtown).

4. Offensively, after watching us play twice in person in KC, I can tell you with 100% certainty that this was NIGHT AND DAY different. It looked like two completely different teams. There were back cuts... action away from the ball... PASSING around the floor with multiple swings on top... Everything had a purpose. Cuts were nice. Guys were playing as a TEAM with much less SELFISH and UNPRODUCTIVE ISO action that we saw in KC.

5. I'm not kidding, I was shocked to see the offense look how it did. With our effort on the defensive end and athleticism, this can't be emphasized enough. You have to believe this team is at least a little better from downtown than they've been shooting, too.

6. Nana is a baller. I was impressed with him tonight and have been each time I've seen him.

7. I've seen nothing from Harris. Too bad he couldn't redshirt. He certainly has potential.

8. Kudos to Palmer for some UNBELIEVABLE drives and for playing to his strengths. Less outside shots, more action toward the hoop and some BIG TIME strong moves. Two into traffic that made me say "Wow" out loud.

9. Miles deserves an enormous amount of credit, as do his assistants. They were well prepared today. They weren't again Texas Tech. For now (based on sample), I'll say that Tech is a legit Top 15 team and we caught them on a bad night. Perhaps we didn't get prepared as we should because of short turn around. We were 100% unprepared for that game, but the exact opposite was true tonight.

10. On the other side, we had THREE TIMEOUTS when your PF (Copeland) is bringing the ball up the court and about to get trapped. It was 100% obvious what was about to happen (turnover) - where's the time out? Right after that, next position, exact same thing almost happens. No timeout? Then, no action (one of few offensive possessions all night where we stand around) and an obvious shot clock violation or bad shot with around 7 left on shot clock. No timeout there? We had THREE left!!!

11. I said at the time we lost to Tech that we would likely lose to Clemson (Happy to be WRONG) and that we'd have to win BOTH Creighton and OSU to get quality wins. I said we only had one more loss left in our nonconference. I still agree with that - we ESPECIALLY need that win at home against Creighton. Both for Tournament implications but for Miles to slowly win back some of the bandwagoners and recruiting battles within the state. If we go 2-0 in those two games, we are a 2 game over .500 Big 10 season from dancing. Period. 

12. I'd much rather be wondering what seed we're getting on Selection Sunday, NOT if we're going to make it. So let's just win both of the two damn nonconference games, split the first two Big 10 and head into January with only 2 losses on the record and a #18 or so ranking.

13. When will the Athletic Department or retailers start selling some of the cool Husker basketball jerseys/shirts of retro stuff we keep seeing? And when can I finally get a Nebraska Basketball Window sticker with the old school script logo that has the basketball behind it? I had them for years but the prick at Jiffy Lube took it off years ago to put a "next oil change" sticker in its place and I haven't been able to find one on sale in a decade.

14. This win is ENORMOUS for this program. Just HUGE. 

15. They had less than 7,000 people there. Pretty pathetic for their recent basketball pedigree. A nice reminder for those who constantly bitch about our fans.

Feel free to make this its own topic if you think its good enough. These are different writings than my old school report cards from the first 10 years of the site. 

GBR!!!

6 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

This could be the first time I actually agree with you on something...but here it is. GREAT kid, and natural God-given talent like I haven't seen in a Nebraska uniform, but wayyyyyy too passive on the court. I notice people on here saying they want him to be "more selfish"; I'd counter that I'd prefer he just be less passive (which doesn't necessarily mean he takes more shots, but does mean he's more decisive and aggressive with whatever he does, instead of looking like he's not sure he means to do whatever he's doing). The problem, as I would armchair-psychology this one, isn't that he "doesn't know how good he is" (TM the Big Ten Network)...it's that he almost relies too much on his athleticism but doesn't have the motor to match it. He may very well have the physical ability to play in the NBA, but unless something changes, I don't think he's shown that he has the actual drive to play there.

Contrast his mental game with Glynn Watson's. Glynn plays hard, every minute on the floor. He may not put up flashy numbers every game, and he'll have mental hiccups like any player, but you have no doubt he's going all-out every time down the floor. He's not timid with the ball in his hands. He's decisive, and I don't recall a time I've ever seen the deer-in-the-headlights look on him, but particularly not so far this year. Put a mentality like that in Isaiah Roby's body and we'd wonder WTH he's doing at Nebraska. Instead, he's like a trumpet player in a jazz band who's incredibly talented but afraid to play the solos.

He's got this year to develop at least, and maybe his mental game gets there. I hope it does, both for his sake and the team's. But at the moment, I'd have to agree that the results haven't matched the hype -- or the ability.

Wow. Well put. I think we're all on the same boat and that's a really smart way to illustrate the problem. (Along with the fouls)

I just want to say I think the hype on this kid is high because we all see the potential. Hes so talented and versatile, you see glimpses of greatness at times. Best we can do is support him. maybe he breaks out this season. All we can do is support the kid. It's so hard to watch from afar and be impotent to help but it's up to him.

6 hours ago, hhcdave said:

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

So many thoughts... this is going to be "stream of conscious" so get ready for ADHD City

10. On the other side, we had THREE TIMEOUTS when your PF (Copeland) is bringing the ball up the court and about to get trapped. It was 100% obvious what was about to happen (turnover) - where's the time out? Right after that, next position, exact same thing almost happens. No timeout? Then, no action (one of few offensive possessions all night where we stand around) and an obvious shot clock violation or bad shot with around 7 left on shot clock. No timeout there? We had THREE left!!!

I thought I saw Watson trying to call time out there but it was ignored by ref. 

7 hours ago, hhcdave said:

13. When will the Athletic Department or retailers start selling some of the cool Husker basketball jerseys/shirts of retro stuff we keep seeing? And when can I finally get a Nebraska Basketball Window sticker with the old school script logo that has the basketball behind it? I had them for years but the prick at Jiffy Lube took it off years ago to put a "next oil change" sticker in its place and I haven't been able to find one on sale in a decade.

That totally sucks.

Wish you could've tried to choke him with your size 16, raked that same size 16 across his face a couple of times, kicked him in the mid-section and them hip-checked him to the floor.  You would only have got a technical foul, so no big deal.

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Definitely agree on both of these. Nana is a smooth operator, he must have learned that JPJ.

And too bad Tanner doesn't have 1 more season..... he played in 1 game his SOPH season. He's becoming quite useful.

Kinda crazy a football player can play in 4/12 but a Baseball player plays in 1/60 or a hoops player plays in 1/35 he loses a year. 

Will admit I didn't read the entire thread so if this has been said, I apologize up front and center.  I thought both Tanner and Brady gave us some great minutes last night.  Brady didn't score but changed shots a couple times and Tanner was great.  Thomas moved him a bit but Thomas will move most folks given his size (and if he is allowed to kick and cross check without a foul called).  

9 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Glad you mentioned this. They took this ability away from the coaches a few years back and it's something that we must not have talked about in any previous huddles or much this year. Should be a point of emphasis when going through the game tape.