uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 7 - B1G/ACC Challenge: @ Clemson

uneblinstu

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Also just realized he picked Clemson over us out of Texas A&M - thank god we didn't get him. Don't want Grant Gibbs level of douche on our team.

A couple of smart ass responses :)

- he wouldn't act like that if he played for us.

- Roby was his host when he visited here.  Roby took him to eat at Taco John's.  Come to find out he is a bigger fan of Taco Bell.

- We already had a Thomas on our team, there was no room for a second one.

16 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Has there ever been a player with more hype compared to on court results than Roby?  I just don't get the unbridled hype train for him.

Why did you bring that take out today he was awesome today just couldn't stay on the court due to bad officiating again. Jaren Jackson only averaged 11 ppg last season that's what I always go back to.

Still hate our offense about 50% of the time. Cant stand the iso dribbling with everyone else just standing around.

I swear i move around more on some possessions just from pacing around my apartment than the players on the court without the ball do ??.

Good win though! Lets start 1-0 in conference now.

Edited by khoock

-Tanner is giving us huge minutes in the middle. And Brady is getting called on when needed and stepping up. Need those two

-Roby showed good flashes. Little cheap fouls are still a problem at times. 

-once JPJ started attacking, his 3 started to fall. That's a formula he used last year and I hope he goes back to that this year. 

-my bench concerns are going away as each game passes. Nana has been a revelation this year. 

Overall I'm happy with this win. Offense looks stagnant at times, I wish they'd get Thomas Allen more involved but his role is limited. He's doing good in that role thus far. 

Illinois gave us two very tough games last year. We seem to struggle with teams who use pressure in the halfcourt. Let's just mop the floor with them on Sunday. 

Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska improved to 5-3 all-time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, including 5-2 under Tim Miles. Nebraska and Purdue are the only Big Ten teams with winning records in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
*-Nebraska improves to 3-1 all-time in ACC/Big Ten Challenge games on the road.  NU’s only challenge road loss was a two-point set back at Clemson in 2016.
*-James Palmer Jr. recorded his 10th career 20-point game with a game-high 20 points. 
*-James Palmer Jr. finished with a career high nine rebounds. His previous best was eight set on three other occasions, the last at Wisconsin on Jan. 29, 2018.
*-Isaac Copeland Jr. reached double figures for the sixth time in seven contests, finishing with 16 points. *-Nebraska held Clemson to 49.1 percent shooting, the 33rd straight game Nebraska held its opponent under 50 percent shooting
*-Glynn Watson Jr. jumped from 25th to 21st on Nebraska’s career scoring list with his 12-point effort.  

43 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

Has there ever been a player with more hype compared to on court results than Roby?  I just don't get the unbridled hype train for him.

This could be the first time I actually agree with you on something...but here it is. GREAT kid, and natural God-given talent like I haven't seen in a Nebraska uniform, but wayyyyyy too passive on the court. I notice people on here saying they want him to be "more selfish"; I'd counter that I'd prefer he just be less passive (which doesn't necessarily mean he takes more shots, but does mean he's more decisive and aggressive with whatever he does, instead of looking like he's not sure he means to do whatever he's doing). The problem, as I would armchair-psychology this one, isn't that he "doesn't know how good he is" (TM the Big Ten Network)...it's that he almost relies too much on his athleticism but doesn't have the motor to match it. He may very well have the physical ability to play in the NBA, but unless something changes, I don't think he's shown that he has the actual drive to play there.

Contrast his mental game with Glynn Watson's. Glynn plays hard, every minute on the floor. He may not put up flashy numbers every game, and he'll have mental hiccups like any player, but you have no doubt he's going all-out every time down the floor. He's not timid with the ball in his hands. He's decisive, and I don't recall a time I've ever seen the deer-in-the-headlights look on him, but particularly not so far this year. Put a mentality like that in Isaiah Roby's body and we'd wonder WTH he's doing at Nebraska. Instead, he's like a trumpet player in a jazz band who's incredibly talented but afraid to play the solos.

He's got this year to develop at least, and maybe his mental game gets there. I hope it does, both for his sake and the team's. But at the moment, I'd have to agree that the results haven't matched the hype -- or the ability.

very good win. i think we're going to have to be a little more efficient from the 3 point line if we want to be a truly great team though.

roby was more aggressive today, but unfortunately had his minutes reduced from foul trouble.

nana has been huge for us off the bench. we really don't drop off when he's in the game.

palmer bounced back from his slump which was greatly needed tonight.

watson wasn't great, but made some timely shots.

copeland's been our most consistent player. another solid game.

allen has played his role well. big time shot tonight.

Edited by TimSmiles

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Be prepared to eat these words as the season rolls along.

You get a lot of calls right norm but idk about this one. Through the first hand full of games it just doesn’t seem like any of his skills have taken a leap from last year. I do think if he starts taking the catch n shoot 3s instead of trying to dribble no where it will completely change his offensive game 

31 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I just wish Roby and Allen would just shoot the kick out 3s they get in rhythm. Seems they always want to take a dribble first. Think their % would go up. TAs last 3 was beautiful 

If they start shooting those 6-9 chances they are passing up per game it will totally change this offense. They are both probably 40 percent three point shooters on catch and shoot if not better. By not taking a good shot and trying to get a great shot we are probably giving 9-12 points away 

My take aways:

- Palmer had the kind of game we need from him. Im okay with three to five 3PA from per game but no more.

- Watson didnt play his best game but he is a grinder.

- Copeland bounced back after a poor game on Saturday. Boy its good to have him healthy! 

- Roby in too much foul trouble again

- Tom had a quiet night until he hit that beautiful dagger

- Nana and Tanner had a couple nice offensive rebounds 

- Brady i thought looked solid in his 5 min. Its beginning to be clear that if Cope/Roby arent in foul trouble we wont see him during games

Most importantly we limited our Nebrasketball end game blunders just enough to pull off a huge road win!! GBR