Tim Miles Quotes

Huskerbb73

from Brian Rosenthal's Twitter:

Said Miles: "You get conditioned to winning, and you get conditioned to
losing, mentally. It's what you expect of yourself ...

Miles, cont. ...
"and to me, and I just don't think we expect enough out of
ourselves."

Miles: "There's three things: You either do your job, or you
don't know, or you don't care...

Miles, cont. "half the time, it looks
like, to me, we don't care. Or, we don't know. I asked the guys all the time in
film, which is it?"

Miles: "I'm not sympathetic to a bad mentality. I'm
not sympathetic to, 'I'm not sure I can do this.' That's not going to get us
very far."

I love this attitude.  This is a guy that absolutely wont accept losing, but goes about teaching it the right way.  I don't know whether he will be successful here or not, but he has a heck of a lot better chance that the last 2 coaches, IMO.  He seems to be going about things the right way and isn't going to give "I can't" as an excuse. 

I think he has a lot better chance at success than Danny Nee had, kaz.

Candidly, I expect a Danny Nee level of success here for Tim Miles as a minimum.  For whatever reason, I keep going back in my mind to Tim Miles becoming to Nebraska what Boeheim is to Syracuse, or what Knight was to Indiana.

Or what Devaney was for us.

I don't know why, or how to explain it, but it's just this pervasive feeling I've had about him pretty much since the start.  And it is different than the feeling I had about Barry or Doc.  For those two it was a certain hopefulness.  For Miles it's a certain confidence.

Love it...I agree with his mindset.  You have to bust your tail or else, why get on the floor. 

I certainly want more talent...I would love to see the high rated kids come to dear old Nebraska U...but there is a caveat, when you get here, I want to see effort, character and improvement. 

from Brian Rosenthal's Twitter:

Said Miles: "You get conditioned to winning, and you get conditioned to

losing, mentally. It's what you expect of yourself ...

Miles, cont. ...

"and to me, and I just don't think we expect enough out of

ourselves."

Miles: "There's three things: You either do your job, or you

don't know, or you don't care...

Miles, cont. "half the time, it looks

like, to me, we don't care. Or, we don't know. I asked the guys all the time in

film, which is it?"

Miles: "I'm not sympathetic to a bad mentality. I'm

not sympathetic to, 'I'm not sure I can do this.' That's not going to get us

very far."

I love this attitude.  This is a guy that absolutely wont accept losing, but goes about teaching it the right way.  I don't know whether he will be successful here or not, but he has a heck of a lot better chance that the last 2 coaches, IMO.  He seems to be going about things the right way and isn't going to give "I can't" as an excuse. 

Here is the link to the presser:  http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1467243

I don't know... I guess I'm the only person who strongly dislikes how he airs his team's dirty laundry publicly. And it always seems to be about the players, as in it's their fault. Sorry, just being honesy, rubs me the wrong way.

Miles is trying to change the culture at Nebraska.  That also means us.

I don't know... I guess I'm the only person who strongly dislikes how he airs his team's dirty laundry publicly. And it always seems to be about the players, as in it's their fault. Sorry, just being honesy, rubs me the wrong way.

Miles is trying to change the culture at Nebraska.  That also means us.

dimes...exactly right.  I think some of the jabs are even meant for the fans.  So many fans have been "happy to be close" and I bet that even rubs Miles the wrong way.  Even if deep down he knows that his team doesn't have the horses yet, he doesn't want the players or fans to get in that "well, we played hard" mentality.  He wants all of us to believe in winning.  I for one love the man so far.

Miles is trying to change the culture at Nebraska. That also means us.

You can change a culture without throwing your team under the bus. If I'm a recruit I'm going somewhere I know the coach has my back publicly.

You can change a culture without throwing your team under the bus. If I'm a recruit I'm going somewhere I know the coach has my back publicly.

Overthinking it, IMO

Totally disagree. I love the way Miles tells it like it is and not all coach speak.

I see things very differently. Yeah, Miles tends to blame the players, but he consistently ignores the 10,000-lb. elephant in the room, which is the lack of talent on the roster.

He constantly harps on things like effort, pride, hustle and so forth, always blaming those factors and never mentioning the obvious -- that he's not putting a legitimate B1G starting five on the court.

As a result, though he does blame the players, I feel he's actually being very diplomatic, and essentially sugar-coating matters, by skirting the lack of talent issue. I don't have a problem with him doing this, but I believe he's being quite a bit more diplomatic and doing far less throwing under the bus than you believe he is. Just my opinion. 

Overthinking it, IMO

I can see it both ways. I have called my team out publicly before. I once said at a post-season team banquet that we have never beaten team X and if you do exactly what you have been doing in the off season again this off season, you will lose to them next year as well. (beat them the next season - nothing to do with the story but I gotta get all the wins mentioned I can)

Imo you can question their effort within the team, but I wouldn't call anyone out publicly during the season. I think the public attention will turn some players off and get them to shut down so to speak. Some may then refer to those as soft, but these are kids (high school and college) and they don't need that. NBA is a different story, it's their job.

Story time. I was sitting in the faculty lounge with Tom Brosnihan & a couple other coaches when a faculty member sat down with us and eventually made a comment that he thought one of our starters was soft. Broz unloaded on him and the teacher got up sheepishly and skunked away. The JV coach said, "Broz why'd you jump down his throat? You call him a pussy all the time." Broz's reply was, "Ya, but he's our pussy." I've been taught that questioning a teams' or player's toughness/effort stays in house.

Overthinking it, IMO

I can see it both ways. I have called my team out publicly before. I once said at a post-season team banquet that we have never beaten team X and if you do exactly what you have been doing in the off season again this off season, you will lose to them next year as well. (beat them the next season - nothing to do with the story but I gotta get all the wins mentioned I can)

Imo you can question their effort within the team, but I wouldn't call anyone out publicly during the season. I think the public attention will turn some players off and get them to shut down so to speak. Some may then refer to those as soft, but these are kids (high school and college) and they don't need that. NBA is a different story, it's their job.

Story time. I was sitting in the faculty lounge with Tom Brosnihan & a couple other coaches when a faculty member sat down with us and eventually made a comment that he thought one of our starters was soft. Broz unloaded on him and the teacher got up sheepishly and skunked away. The JV coach said, "Broz why'd you jump down his throat? You call him a pussy all the time." Broz's reply was, "Ya, but he's our pussy." I've been taught that questioning a teams' or player's toughness/effort stays in house.

You try to handle it in house and if that doesn't work you use the out house and if that doesn't work bench em!

Just curious, but did you watch the press conference or just read the quotes?  Just going by the quotes, it comes off harsh, but listening to it and hearing the context of which he is answering questions gives a different tone IMO.